*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

20" alloys

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

20" alloys

Postby Transit si » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:54 am

good morning everyone,

New to the forum. Picked up my 2017 Transit custom limited on Sat - Very happy with it. totally standard at the minute, so looking in to wheels and body kit to make it look a bit more appealing.

So, my first question is concerning alloys.

Looking at 20" at the minute, but not sure this will ruin the ride of the van, so maybe 18" depending on what the advice is.

My biggest issue at the minute is the TPMS. all the wheel packages I've sen don't come with sensors. Will it be a case of getting the wheels and tyres delivered, then taking them somewhere to have the sensors fitted?

Do I have my old ones taken off and put on to the new wheels?

Or do you just fit the new alloys and just ignore the fact that they don't have the sensors in them?

What's the correct way to go around this - I'm totally stuck. It just seems like a lot of faffing about, especially when the alloys come fully fitted with tyres, balanced etc..

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I can't find the answer - If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appriciated.

Cheers,
Si
Transit si

Re: 20" alloys

Postby jinx » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:43 pm

Hi ,there isn't tpms on the transit custom limited or at least i haven't had it on my 17 Reg or my 70 reg .I am running 20 inch alloys. Tpms may be a factory option. If you have a type pressure monitor in your vehicle settings then it probably was added as a factory option. I have a feeling that the custom sport has tpms as standard, not 100% sure tho
jinx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TallPaul » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:09 am

My 2018 Transit Custom Limited doesnt have TPMS either
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Malroy » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:23 am

Hi, My 20 plate Tourneo Custom Sport has TPMS as std. I'm assuming it's an on line wheel and tyre package you are considering?
In your situation (if you do indeed have TPMS on your van) I'd purchase the wheels without tyres and have them delivered. Order the tyres separately and include fitting (Inc TPMS valve refitting) then take the new wheels to the booked local fitting centre and have everything swapped over. Drive in with old wheels and drive out with new wheels and tyres on plus old wheels in the back. One of my TPMS valves was leaking and a local tyre centre removed and refitted it with new 'O' seal for minimal cost.
20" wheels as I'm sure you know will require low profile tyres to maintain the rolling circumference and thus speedo accuracy. In my experience (not with transit) the lower the profile the harsher the ride so just be sure before you buy. 18" in my opinion is a good compromise but 20" wheels are very popular so perhaps they are fine and my concerns regarding ride harshness are unfounded.
Malroy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Marky M » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:43 pm

I've got 20 inch wheels and it looks amazing.

In the front 245/45/20 and at the back 274/40/20. The are once size bigger then they shout, but now less issues with the side curbs.

100km/h is about 95km/h on my dashboard.

For pics, see my topic :D
Ford Transit Custom Sport 2018
* L2H1
* Chrome blue and stripes
* Customised for wheelchair accessibility/driving
* 20" Bola B20 Black polished
* K&N insert filter
* Led lights
https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=189567
Marky M
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Transit si » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:39 am

Well, bit the bullet and went for the 20". No tpms fitted after all, must be a dealer option. Apparently it's not a legal requirement for commercial vehicles to have tpms..

wheels look great, and to be honest it feels a lot nicer to drive - It was like a bouncy castle with the standard 16" on.
Transit si

Postby TallPaul » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:59 pm

I think the vans dont have TPMS but the tourneo, being a passenger vehicle, does.
Happy to be proved wrong though…
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Marky M » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:28 am

Mine has TPMS, I believe it's an option. And standard on the sport and perhaps the limited version
Ford Transit Custom Sport 2018
* L2H1
* Chrome blue and stripes
* Customised for wheelchair accessibility/driving
* 20" Bola B20 Black polished
* K&N insert filter
* Led lights
https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=189567
Marky M
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dunf » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:52 am

I have a 2021 Custom Sport in black - TPMS as standard.

I bought a set of 18" OZ alloys in graphite, and 4 x Conti winter tyres - rims and tyres like for like sizes with factory ones. Then bought a set of programable generic TPMS sensors.

My local tyre place took the original alloys off, and fitted them with the new winter tyres. Put the original tyres on the OZ rims that had the new TPMS installed first. Then programmed the TPMS to the van.

So now i've a set of summer wheels and winter wheels, no issues with ride or rubbing, and no issues with TPMS faults. Only tiny issue was the original Ford lock nuts don't fit into the recesses on the OZ wheels.
dunf
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom