*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

rear door hinges lubricant

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

rear door hinges lubricant

Postby topshelf » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:12 pm

I have had the van a few years now and had no problem from them, but both have gone very stiff to open and you can see a strain on the door frame, I have tried WD 40 but that does not seam to have mad a massive improvement, what do you use ?
topshelf
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: rear door hinges lubricant

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:16 pm

The stuff to use is spray grease ..it has a lot of solvent in it that evaporates quickly ..almost boils/ bubbles ..whilst thinned down with the solvent it penetrates the hinges ..then the solvent evaporates and leaves the grease behind, deep in the hinge, exactly were you need it.
The product i think is made by Wurth

that's what you would use from new though, as regular maintenance - it may work... but -sounds like yours need dismantling a and cleaning first ..as they may be full of rust ..and no amount of fancy grease is going to put that right

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby seikokid » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:06 pm

you have use the rost off by wurth and apply it again and again whilst fully opening and closing the doors

it’s like a gym work out and after about 10 mins they will start to free up. They rust inside and seize up

Mine have done it a few times. At one point i felt it give and figured i had smashed off a load of rust in one of the hinges. It was almost impossible to open and close, now it swings freely

until the next time ………
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby topshelf » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:57 pm

Thanks . Will order a can. Been away and no Internet connection.
Thanks
topshelf
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom