*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Custom double cab rear seat change

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Custom double cab rear seat change

Postby Andy.moods » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:15 am

Hi All

First post here!
I have a transit custom 6 seater LWB 2017. I use my van mostly for work but also regularly go away camping, fishing and mountain biking in my van.
I don't often use the back seats, which are a bench seat. I would like to remove this and have the option of adding the fourth, fifth and sixth seats as and when needed.
Has anyone got any cunning ideas how to do this? I had thought could I use the seating system from a galaxy? That would be perfect as no screwing things in and out as required. although it doesn't really take long to take four bolts in and out when you have the right tools.

Many Thanks
Andy
Andy.moods

Re: Custom double cab rear seat change

Postby richbee » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:09 pm

Hi Andy,

It is certainly doable - I have done the same to my identical 2017 LWB double cab. I removed the bulkhead and bench seat, plus the raised floor which comes with the bench seat.
I've had the Tourneo seats fitted - 3 separate, removable, folding seats, which gives the ultimate in flexibility, but required quite a bit of fitting - each seat needs 8 holes drilling in the floor, and the fuel tank needs to be dropped to drill some of them - hence why I got a company to do it for me. You can sell the bench seat to get some money back, but Tourneo seats are much more expensive than they used to be - I've seen them for £800 a set these days.
You will also have some spot welded brackets on the sides where the bulkhead was attached, which can be removed with a spot weld drill - depends how much you want to change things.
We used to fit an airbed in the back behind the bulkhead - but it is much easier now with all the extra space.
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Andy.moods » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:35 am

Thanks Rich,
Thats pretty much what I want to do is sleep in the back. Possibly hasnt quit got the flexibility of taking the seats in and out as easily as I hoped but I imagine it would do the job.
Are the seats easy to remove? Do you have a nut/ bolt under the van you need to hold when undoing the nut/ bolts to remove the seats?
Thanks Andy
Andy.moods

Postby Andy.moods » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:51 am

So I have just seen the tourneo is removeable like the galaxy seats. Is that the type you have Rich?
Andy.moods

Postby Foxtrott » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:03 pm

im converting my panel van at the moment to a 'day' van for camping and carp fishing etc.... i have bought a set of tourneo seats from a popular auction site with the floor brackets - I have got the drilling partner from the BEMM (i think thats right) manual. I drilled my first hole last night and the drilling plan is spot on - i.e. i hit the centre of one of the welded pre-existing nuts under the suspension. Other locations will need to be strengthened with spreader plates - ive looked under an actual tourneo and the spreader plates are tiny... going to use a much larger plate. Yes the exhaust and fuel tank will have to come off/be dropped for fitting and the the van floor will need to be raised... 30mm from top of ridges or 40mm from valleys.

Hope the above makes sense - happy to share photos.
Foxtrott

Postby Andy.moods » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:21 pm

Thanks foxtrot
Please Do Send picture and any other info on this!
I need to research these tourneo seats more!
Andy.moods

Postby Mike daffin » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:38 pm

Are there any pictures available re.seats day crew cab installation
Mike daffin

Postby Foxtrott » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:24 pm

Im still messing with mine a bit but..... here the drilling plan (note that some bolts exist on the body already - get these spot on - they will need to be tapped as they do not have a thread).

The rear of the exhaust and heat shield as well as the fuel tank will need to come off to give you access.... this isn't too bad but make sure tank is empty.

Once you drill your holes you'll need to get some spreader plates made up - the ones on actual factory models are tiny but i spanned between chassis legs where I could.

The floor will need to be raised 40mm from the valleys and 30mm from the ridges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Foxtrott

Postby Foxtrott » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:33 pm

Further pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Foxtrott

Postby topshelf » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:22 am

Hi, think the previous posters have coverd this, I did what you are asking about to my LWB, I got a company to fit the tourneo seats a double and a single, the single goes on the near side. what I did then was cut a wooden head board but sectioned it into a third and two thirds portions. the one third section was behind the the single seat so if I took the single seat out I only had to take the third section of head board out and I still had two seats with some protection from the load in the back for the passengers. I also fitted a extra battery under the front double seat with a split charger, I then had 240v in the back with a invertor .
topshelf
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dj57ump » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:33 pm

richbee wrote:Hi Andy,

It is certainly doable - I have done the same to my identical 2017 LWB double cab. I removed the bulkhead and bench seat, plus the raised floor which comes with the bench seat.
I've had the Tourneo seats fitted - 3 separate, removable, folding seats, which gives the ultimate in flexibility, but required quite a bit of fitting - each seat needs 8 holes drilling in the floor, and the fuel tank needs to be dropped to drill some of them - hence why I got a company to do it for me. You can sell the bench seat to get some money back, but Tourneo seats are much more expensive than they used to be - I've seen them for £800 a set these days.
You will also have some spot welded brackets on the sides where the bulkhead was attached, which can be removed with a spot weld drill - depends how much you want to change things.
We used to fit an airbed in the back behind the bulkhead - but it is much easier now with all the extra space.

Could I ask who you got to do the conversion?
dj57ump

Postby dj57ump » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:03 pm

I found a company that does this. Will take my DCIV and put the Tourneo seats in.

Thoughts?

Transit01.jpg

Transit02.jpg

Transit03.jpg
dj57ump

Postby richbee » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:40 pm

dj57ump wrote:
richbee wrote:Hi Andy,

Could I ask who you got to do the conversion?

It was Vw camper conversion company in Prudhoe near Newcastle. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with them - they got the brackets mounted in the wrong order the first time, so you couldn't turn the seats round! - and the brackets aren't neatly lined up if you look from the side door.
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:42 pm

dj57ump wrote:I found a company that does this. Will take my DCIV and put the Tourneo seats in.

Thoughts?

Transit01.jpg

Transit02.jpg

Transit03.jpg

Looks good to me - that's how my seats look, and they are very useful, comfortable and flexible, if rather heavy to turn round or remove (assuming those are also the ones which can be turned round and face forwards or backwards)
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:47 pm

Andy.moods wrote:So I have just seen the tourneo is removeable like the galaxy seats. Is that the type you have Rich?

Yes, that's it exactly, 3 individual, foldable, removable seats. They are pretty heavy, but doable. The older tourneo versions had 1 single and 1 double seat - I wouldn't fancy removing the double, but there are less holes to drill!
Also, be aware that there are some which will turn round and some which won't - the brackets are much longer to allow fixing in place for forward or reverse.
Sorry I didn't reply at the time, I've only just seen your question - hope you got sorted
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom