*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Passenger wiper stopped working

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Passenger wiper stopped working

Postby cyclingspongecake » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:47 pm

I have a 2017 Custom and just realised my passenger front wiper has stopped working. I put a voltmeter on the plug and it was showing power on the two cables (presume one is for switching) but having decided it was the motor and put another unit in, its still the same!

Is this a common issue ?? any ideas what could be wrong .... I did undo the body fuse box from its mounting the other day so wonder if I've disturbed something :-(

thanks

chris
cyclingspongecake
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Passenger wiper stopped working

Postby Frag » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:19 pm

The drivers side wiper motor controls the passenger side,
Check the connector on drivers motor for corrosion/water ingress…
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby cyclingspongecake » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:08 pm

Thanks Frag.

Right so I took the drivers wiper out and disconnected plug - as you said it was a bit manky. Sprayed plug and the socket on the wiper motor with switch cleaner but this didn't seem to make any difference. Only when I finally put it all back together did the passenger wiper work... once.. ... then got tangled up in the drivers side a bit and gave up again... no further life :-(

I'm guessing that the white wire with orange stripe is going between the two connectors to switch the passenger wiper on/off? in which case when I tested that wire on the passenger side after cleaning I was no longer getting any voltage on it (was about 7volts), so I guess its either the drivers side motor unit ... or the drivers side connector/loom ... ? Not sure what I can do if its the latter though.
cyclingspongecake
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:48 pm

The signal wire between 2 motors is lin-bus.
Drivers motor is a wiper motor/module,so master controlling the slave / near side,
Replacement Connectors are available on a well known auction site £60-£70

If you’ve got corrosion there,I would replace the drivers side motor,and its connector.
You also need to check the washer pump motor,they fail internally and it’s the screenwash/water that then tracks up the wiring loom internally and causes your current problem,washer pump is also controlled by the master wiper motor.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby cyclingspongecake » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:28 pm

the connector itself looks ok so I ordered a replacement drivers side motor off ebay however when it finally arrived discovered its the wrong one - connector only has 4 wires whereas mine has about 8. :( Part number for mine appear to be GK21-17500-BA whereas most of them seem to start with BK.

Couldn't see much sign of new ones on internet, expect they'd be £££££££ so will have to order another and wait a bit longer or pay main dealer money ....
cyclingspongecake
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cyclingspongecake » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:00 pm

so finally got the correct motor but this didn't fix the issue so ordered a replacement connector with colour coded cable tails off ebay which took an age to arrive thanks to Royal Mail. Connected it up today and the passenger side still doesn't work :-(

Checked and cleaned connector on passenger motor - now getting getting voltage on the thinner wire that connects to the drivers side plug, but not quite 12volts, about 9volts so wonder if this isn't quite enough to trigger the circuit... or the passenger side motor is still faulty .... or there's something else going on ... very frustrating :-(

Could it be a relay issue?? or is there anything else I'm missing? thanks
cyclingspongecake
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby WMC » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:12 am

Good morning all,

Same issue here so wondered if anyone could help? This is for a 2018 Transit Custom.

New Ford supplied motor for 'drivers' side with loom connector from auction site and drivers side wiper works fine (albeit delayed start which takes around 30 seconds) but can't get passenger side to work at all....

Is there any calibration procedure that we need to undertake before having to send it to the main dealer?

Many thanks!
WMC

Postby cyclingspongecake » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:42 pm

Hi,

I ended up having to buy a brand new drivers side motor unit from Ford at £215 :-( This fixed the passenger side issue as I had previously tried new passenger motor and replaced the wiring loom plug on the drivers side, so I suspect the issue in my case was an internal circuit problem inside the unit. I tried a replacement drivers side motor from ebay that was off an apparently nearly brand new van and it didn't work at all so I guess with all the different part code numbers that the motor is very specific to the model.

Hope that helps

chris
cyclingspongecake
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom