*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Alternate Master Cylinder Bleeding Technique.

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Alternate Master Cylinder Bleeding Technique.

Postby RIPPERTON » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:55 am

Just replaced my VN's brake master cylinder and bled the 2 pipes joining to it but got the worst pedal ever.
Had to start off my courier run with a really long pedal so wasnt looking forward to it but then got an idea.
I looked around for a really steep driveway and parked the van up it so it was inclined nose up at about 25 to 30 degrees.
Then slapped the brake pedal numerous times with the tip of my shoe so it flicked back. Trying to dislodge any air bubbles in there.
Then did the same with the van backed up the driveway arse up in the air then again positioned the van sideways across the drive with the drivers side up hill.
This actually improved the pedal, it felt a bit higher so for the rest of the day I was looking around for any steep embankment I could find.
Managed to do this another 2 times and got quite a reasonable pedal by the end of the day. Got home and noticed the fluid level in the reservoir was a bit lower
One more technique up my sleeve. I removed a front wheel and used G clamps to push the pistons all the way back into the calipers backing up any fluid (and air) in the
master cylinder up into the reservoir. Did this twice for each front wheel.
Result : best brake pedal Ive ever had in this van.
I once drove a friends VN and was instantly jealous over the brake pedal being up so high and wondered why mine was so spongy and low.
All fixed now.
RIPPERTON
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom