*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

COOLANT TEMPERATURE TOO LOW

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

COOLANT TEMPERATURE TOO LOW

Postby carlburt78 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:14 pm

Hi guys I took my van in to a garage to fit new glow plugs and just have a general look at things on live data because I've been having some drivability issues and after a long test drive he said my coolant temperature is too low , he said it was around 62 on the dual carriageway , he said it should be a lot hotter than this and says my thermostat could be stuck open

My heater is giving out heat but In sure it's not as hot as it used to be , is there anything else that can cause low coolant temperature? I have no codes and the van is a 2014 custom euro 5 2.2 fwd , thanks
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: COOLANT TEMPERATURE TOO LOW

Postby carlburt78 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:21 pm

Screenshot_20230127-161648_Chrome.jpg

If it was a thermostat would I need to buy the part in the picture? Or can you get the thermostat separately? And is it an easy job ? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Frag » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:29 pm

This may be worth a read;
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=218776
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby carlburt78 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:36 pm

Frag wrote:This may be worth a read;
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=218776

Thanks Frag I came across that post earlier and I'm now thinking it is the thermostat and I think it's been playing up for a while , I have been getting dpf issues in the sense of frequent and oddly the faster I'm driving during a regen the longer they take to complete . Using forscan I started a forced regen and the engine coolant temperature kept dropping below the 80 degrees minimum mark and the only way I could counteract this was by unplugging my cooling fan . The van is also sluggish up hills and seems to lack power although this seems to be intermittent, I'm guessing outside temperature plays a role in this ? I'm Also burning alot of fuel , this all led me to believe I had a dodgy EGR or something so I got the guy to check it all , he said egr was ok but inlet and inlet ports in the head had lots of soot and he couldn't even put his finger in, he has cleaned all this and the throttle body and replaced all 4 glow plugs as I had number 3 not working. I dont seem to be having any issues with the temperature gauge in the cab though
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby carlburt78 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:04 pm

IMG-20230203-WA0003.jpeg

Stuck open thermostat which is now changed and van is now running at a constant 88 rather than high 50s to low 60s... its probably been running like it for months as I had no obvious signs as my temperature gauge was always at normal, there is a massive difference in the heater now though! Hopefully my DPF will start behaving itself now and fuel economy will improve :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom