*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

P0299 Fault

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

P0299 Fault

Postby schtall » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2014 Transit Custom 2.2 with a failed turbo, since replacing the turbo (alongside other items) I keep getting a P0299 Underboost fault and I’m now a bit stuck as to what is causing it. Notes so far -

• Turbo is new/reconditioned from London Turbos, spins freely, no excessive play on shaft, VNT mechanism free
• Oil, oil filter, air filter & turbo oil feed pipe replaced. Drain pipe checked, cleaned and refitted
• DPF brick has been removed by previous owner
• Cam cover replaced as breather was blocked
• Injector seals replaced during cam cover swap
• Glowplugs replaced
• Inlet manifold & throttle cleaned out
• EGR valve replaced
• Hoses & intercooler inspected for leaks – nothing obvious
• Forscan data shows demanded pressure (DMP) match actual pressure (MAP), which to me contradicts the fault somewhat. Boost pressure actuator drops out when the fault appears

Any ideas what to check next?

Cheers,

Chris
schtall

Re: P0299 Fault

Postby sherwoodcycles » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:17 pm

Have you checked the boost pipe from the radiator. It can rub on (I thjnk from memory) the alternator mounting bolt which will eventually break a hole (you can normally hear a hiss when driving )
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby schtall » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:46 pm

Yes, all pipes & intercooler checked with smoke tester, no leaks...
schtall

Postby sherwoodcycles » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:09 am

This might sound daft...is the actuator the correct one in the correct position ? The rwd has an almost identical turbo but the actuator rod is 180 out of phase (if that makes sense)
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sherwoodcycles » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:14 am

Also as (from a quick read) it can be caused by blocked dpf...(you said yours has been removed)...After the dpf there is a openy closey valve thing in the exhaust pipe. Have you checked that that is able to do its thing ? (Sorry been watching too much fireman sam)
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby schtall » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:05 am

sherwoodcycles wrote:This might sound daft...is the actuator the correct one in the correct position ? The rwd has an almost identical turbo but the actuator rod is 180 out of phase (if that makes sense)

Interesting, I'll get a photo of mine, do you have a picture of what it should look like for reference please?
schtall

Postby schtall » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:07 am

sherwoodcycles wrote:Also as (from a quick read) it can be caused by blocked dpf...(you said yours has been removed)...After the dpf there is a openy closey valve thing in the exhaust pipe. Have you checked that that is able to do its thing ? (Sorry been watching too much fireman sam)

I didn't notice a valve in the exhaust, but I have checked the DPF pressure reading in the Forscan data and it is minimal (<10kPa).
schtall

Postby sherwoodcycles » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:49 pm

I'll check that I'm nit thinking of my vivaro with that exhaust valve.......I'll take a photo of my turbo actuator rod thing and post it
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sherwoodcycles » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 pm

Here are pics of the turbo and actuator. The loom plugs into the bottom and shouldn't be twisted. If you unplug the loom and the plug seems 'upside down' then that would be an indicator too. But checkbon the rod pisition and the position of the rod actuator in its resting position
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sherwoodcycles » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:47 pm

Ignore the exhaust valve. I just looked and that was on my vivaro
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby schtall » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:10 pm

sherwoodcycles wrote:Here are pics of the turbo and actuator. The loom plugs into the bottom and shouldn't be twisted. If you unplug the loom and the plug seems 'upside down' then that would be an indicator too. But checkbon the rod pisition and the position of the rod actuator in its resting position

Thanks, that's useful. Mine looks very similar

schtall

Postby sherwoodcycles » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:03 am

I put a thread on here somewhere about replacing my actuator as I was having starting problems and warnings for an engine malfunction.
I thought it was because of the gears in the actuator it's self being so worn.......but the problem returned
I found that wiggling the main loom sometimes stopped it. After cutting the loom open and following wires, I discovered it was the plug to the egr at fault. Once I unplugged it, its been fine. I believe the turbo actuator shares signal wires so the damage in the plug/egr valve was probably shorting out that data or confusing it. It's just another avenue you can check.
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sherwoodcycles » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 am

I have a spare genuine actuator too if you wanted to try a different actuator
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom