*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MOT...... FAQ

Before you ask a question, check to see if it's been asked before. We show all the common Transit faults here and it's a good idea to read through these in case they happen to you in the future!!

Re: MOT...... FAQ

Postby zetor4321 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Just thought i would put a bad experience on here regarding vehicles looks

I had an old toyota landcruiser g reg 4 litre monster
I was pulled up by police traffic officer
He said my vehicle didnt look road worthy
It looked rough as i had swapped all front end wings valance and bonnet from earlier model
All fitted correctly and properly
They kept me at the side of the rd for 3 hours going over my truck with a fine comb trying to find faults
In the end he said one of my brake pipes looked corroded that was it
And gave me a form saying i had to have a full vehicle mot test as he was sure there was other faults he could not see!
So after a full mot it failed on headlight aim to low i had guessed the beam angle when i changed front end
And tester said has failed brake pipe as thats what i told him police had failed it on but he said it want bad enough tojustify a full test and would have been ok until next test date in about 2 months

Thats my story just wanted to clear my throat as it still annoys me!

I currently drive a mk 5 smiley in blue (main colour) black (wings and arches)just been replaced and odd rust colour here and there!

Happy transiting

Dave

But as yet not been stopped!
zetor4321
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maycontainnuts » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 pm

The last time i got pulled up by the police and they started to check my vehicle, I got out of mine and started checking thiers, He asked me what i was doing so i said I am a vosa trained vehicle examiner and if i find anything wrong with his patroll car, i will insist that his sargent removes it from service till its repaird, needless to say he got on his way.
maycontainnuts
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby n8rbos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Where in leigh are you maycontainnuts?
n8rbos
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maycontainnuts » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:27 pm

coniston street wn71xh
maycontainnuts
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby robi49 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Testers are supposed to be impartial! but some garages just look for work and what i beleive is an advisory they will say it is a fail. I love it when this happens as i refer to MOT testers bible, if you disagree with test result do not move vehicle contact VOSA they will advise you on what to do. DO NOT MOVE VEHICLE untill you contact VOSA.

I once presented a HGV SED/ATK unit for test, it was winter - 3degrees + wind chill the washers were frozen immediate fail.
And that was with raw w/screen wash a/freeze.

On another occasion i failed a van for excessive rust within the limits next to a rear hanger bracket.
Three weeks later VOSA arrived to ask why and to confirm my reason for failure. Turned out van man went to a dodgy place and got a pass cert. Police brought van in and VOSA man confirmed my findings, driver got a heavy fine van taken to pound costly.
Should you think your vehicle is smoky add anti smoke to tank take out up Motorway build up and hold high revs in each gear this should clear keep an eye in rear view mirror watch smoke clear. DO NOT BREAK LAW whilst doing this.
robi
robi49
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby robi49 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 pm

[quote="maycontainnuts"]The last time i got pulled up by the police and they started to check my vehicle, I got out of mine and started checking thiers, He asked me what i was doing so i said I am a vosa trained vehicle examiner and if i find anything wrong with his patroll car, i will insist that his sargent removes it from service till its repaird, needless to say he got on his way.[/quote]
Police vehicles are excempt from MOT but must be kept in a roadworthy condition (Fact)
robi49
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby robi49 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:38 pm

maycontainnuts wrote:The last time i got pulled up by the police and they started to check my vehicle, I got out of mine and started checking thiers, He asked me what i was doing so i said I am a vosa trained vehicle examiner and if i find anything wrong with his patroll car, i will insist that his sargent removes it from service till its repaird, needless to say he got on his way.

yep got stopped at 4 am one morning alleged rear light not working. Light was OK.

I then spotted one of his rear lights out, imagine his face when I showed him my Police vehicle examiners ID, informed him as I was just around the corner from P/O I was going to report it to his section Seargent whom I knew.
He was only in that division that night and I had not met him last seen walking the beat.
ps a good number of years ago.
robi49
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby limitedblack » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:05 pm

I have a real problem with MOT time, I hate it more than anything in the world, blood tests, dentists etc. I have never had a car fail an MOT either, but I just fear the end of the world when there. Not too sure why, but probably when very young all our cars generally failed as we were p1ss poor. I even payed my mate to take it there for me for a while until he moved away. They normally laugh when testing mine as they are spotless, but I still dread a fail. Perhaps I need therapy :?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Joe112 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Might get shot down in flames for sayin this, and would not recommend it long term but.... You'll get a fail for having a below legal spare, but not for not having one

I had a fail in a 4x4 a few years ago, said to tester I'll just take it off (in a plea to get the pass) he said no... Booked it straight back in next day for the free retest and left the spare in the corner of the car park at work, went through fine although the tester didn't look to pleased!

Always take the spare off now if it's even close to minimum!
Joe112

Postby Marty.H » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:25 pm

A spare tyre does not form part of the MOT test and cannot be failed I was a tester for 5 years class 4 and 7
Marty.H
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loading..... » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:55 am

maycontainnuts wrote:The last time i got pulled up by the police and they started to check my vehicle, I got out of mine and started checking thiers, He asked me what i was doing so i said I am a vosa trained vehicle examiner and if i find anything wrong with his patroll car, i will insist that his sargent removes it from service till its repaird, needless to say he got on his way.

Ha ha quality
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andypdq » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:58 am

I know it shouldn't be the case, but I have noticed a big difference in MOT testers, some are much more fussy than others. I think it's mostly to do with their respective definitions of the word excessive. The place I take everything to, apart from class 7 which they don't do, are great, they are not what I would call fussy, they run two bays, are always booked up and charge the full price. I've been going there for twenty years or more. Presumably VOSA are happy with their definition of the word excessive, or they would have been shut down years ago.
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby karl » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:36 pm

andypdq wrote:I know it shouldn't be the case, but I have noticed a big difference in MOT testers, some are much more fussy than others. I think it's mostly to do with their respective definitions of the word excessive. The place I take everything to, apart from class 7 which they don't do, are great, they are not what I would call fussy, they run two bays, are always booked up and charge the full price. I've been going there for twenty years or more. Presumably VOSA are happy with their definition of the word excessive, or they would have been shut down years ago.

i was at the test station on friday and they get a magazine just for those mot testers anyway was looking threw and couldnt belive i read that class 7 have the worst pass rate but it has improved 9% over the last year the worst failers are anything from 2000 to 2007
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Brettbear63 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:59 am

I took a Ford Sierra 2ltr injection in for an M.o.t and it failed on emissions , garage guy said " its ok i,ve worked on these Cosworths before i can fix it "," I said its not a Cosworth" so he said i needed a new manifold , I took it to another garage and turned out the other guy hadnt done the emissions test correctly.
Brettbear63
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Frequently asked questions!!