*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Transit to tow caravan

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit to tow caravan

Postby runnystuff » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:00 pm

Hi
I want to buy a caravan & a Transit to tow it with.
I've got up to £8k to spend on the Transit. The caravan will be a new Bailey Ranger weighing around 1 tonne.
I want the Transit solely to tow the caravan, and maybe take my Harley Davidson in the back to Europe.
I want the van as smart and comfy as possible, don't want to be kicked off the site for looking like a Pikey!
Which model Transit would you recommend for the money. All responses gratefully and eagerly awaited!
runnystuff
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:08 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby FredTransit » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:03 pm

Welcome to the forum, I would have thought it won't be too dificult to get a decent transit on your budget. I don't tow though but I am sure somebody here will help.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Postby Transit2007 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Hi


I would have thought any transit will tow a 1 ton caravan!

A focus will tow more than that!

Hope that helps :D
Transit for sale - T350 crew van.
Transit2007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: Transit to tow caravan

Postby Nathan_Cardiff » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:53 pm

runnystuff wrote:I want the van as smart and comfy as possible, don't want to be kicked off the site for looking like a Pikey!


You cant say that!!!! :wink:

Welcome How :lol:
52 SWB Transit
User avatar
Nathan_Cardiff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Cardiff, South Wales

Postby Nathan_Cardiff » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:14 am

69 views to date and not any decent answers yet!!!!

can anyone help????????
52 SWB Transit
User avatar
Nathan_Cardiff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Cardiff, South Wales

Re: Transit to tow caravan

Postby Luke » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:17 am

runnystuff wrote:Hi
I want to buy a caravan & a Transit to tow it with.
I've got up to £8k to spend on the Transit. The caravan will be a new Bailey Ranger weighing around 1 tonne.
I want the Transit solely to tow the caravan, and maybe take my Harley Davidson in the back to Europe.
I want the van as smart and comfy as possible, don't want to be kicked off the site for looking like a Pikey!
Which model Transit would you recommend for the money. All responses gratefully and eagerly awaited!
£8k should get you a lovley mk6 with all the toys as said any transit will tow a caravan but go for one of the higher output ones :D

as for looking like a p****y cant help you there :lol:
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44570
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: Transit to tow caravan

Postby Spooky_b329 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:16 am

I don't think campsites like panel vans, sites that do allow them normally say you have to have windows so might be worth going for a crew van. Not so good for the Harley though.

Did see a VW van recently, it 'had' blacked out rear windows and looked really smart. Was only when I was standing next to it that I realised it was a panel van with black vinyl applied to the rear panels.

For towing I would find a RWD as a FWD drive will struggle to cross a damp campsite, and thats without a caravan on the back :) Also stick all your luggage and food etc in the van as this will make the caravan behave better at speed. Again though, the higher floor in a RWD will make loading the Harley that bit harder.

There are different final drive ratios which you might want to read up on, depends if you want quiet high speed cruising or a nice low first gear for hill starts with the caravan.
User avatar
Spooky_b329
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:59 pm

Re: Transit to tow caravan

Postby bigp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:39 am

I've used my old P reg to tow our Lunar Lexon EB for the last 3 years. The van pulls and brakes fine but it does 60 on the straight and 30 up hills. So get a TD for gods sake lol.

The greatest benefit with the van is that you can store all the bikes and stuff in there instead of the awning so its a shed on wheels (Mines a shed full stop). The kids and the wife go in the BM by the way so its me and the dog lol.

Get a TOMTOM europe for the trip as well

As said above look for a rear wheel drive but as you know most sites will move your van for you with a defender if its that bad on the ground.

So you should be looking for a 05 model short wheel base, semi high top rear wheel drive van with fsh :)
bigp
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Re: Transit to tow caravan

Postby madmark » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:31 pm

if you are going to tow then get a 125 or a 100ps engine fwd or rwd :) i use a 125ps fwd and it pulls like a train my caravan is the same weight! :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 15467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:29 am


Return to Buyers Guide



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.