*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Changed my brakes

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Changed my brakes

Postby Sundowner » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:38 am

OK i got some vented disc's and 4 spot callipers off a 79 truck today for free
(Guy wanted $500 for the compete truck has 4.1ltr)

So today i slipped them on, a simple bolt on job but i relised that you guys cant fit the 4 piston callipers and keep the 5 stud pattern as they would hit the hub. This is not an issue with my van as my hubs have been modified for 114.3pcd and that the out side of my hubs have been turned down so to my luck with a little grinding the callipers fit

Stuck the wheels on and went for a test drive and with the big GT Falcon drums on the rear and the new front setup it stops very well

Also gave the engine a tune up like rebuilt the carb fit an electric dizzy and an accel supper coil, its got some more poke and even smokes the rear 265 tyres :lol:

79 truck brakes

Truck brakes on left van on right

Some more pics of my front hub for Luke Image

And complete
Yeah i know its big green and rusty so move your Porsche before i bash it with 460 cubes of fords finest cast iron
Sundowner
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:22 am

Great piccs mate - thanks!!

At the moment i have just welded up the origanal 160mm stud holes on my hubs! i thought you had too!! :?

but i am going to turn the outside dia to 165mm so alot of the weld will be took off!!

also my new PCD will be 112mm, that is very interesting i wonder if 4 pot calipers will fit my van too :idea:

in the future (a few years :lol: ) i am hoping to convert the whole front over to IFS with rack and pinion steering but the track is wider and my wheels only just fit under the arches as it is!! :D - so i will have to find a way round that!!!
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Sundowner » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:36 am

the callipers wont fit if you go 165mm my hubs are 155mm but still touched the calliper, i had to grind a bit off the callipers and the hub to get clearence

if you turn them down to 162-3 the callipers should clear with about 1mm to spare, or you could bevel to rear edge of the hub

112pcd is that the same as jag or volvo?
Yeah i know its big green and rusty so move your Porsche before i bash it with 460 cubes of fords finest cast iron
Sundowner
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:57 am

Sundowner wrote:the callipers wont fit if you go 165mm my hubs are 155mm but still touched the calliper, i had to grind a bit off the callipers and the hub to get clearence

if you turn them down to 162-3 the callipers should clear with about 1mm to spare, or you could bevel to rear edge of the hub

112pcd is that the same as jag or volvo?
I will have to look at this i chose 165mm because thats the mounting face dia on my wheels - so mabe they wont fit due to my wheels- but if they do like you say i could taper the edge to get them in!!! 8)

112pcd is mercedes, vw, audi, ford granada and i think some Jag will fit but most are 120pcd or something!!!
not sure about volvo, most volvo here are 4 stud!!!
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Changed my brakes

Postby Indianboy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:19 pm

Geat post !!

I was about to go for the Jaguar option, but Sundowner upgrade seems a better way to go
@ Luke have you managed your build ?
Indianboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Luke » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:37 pm

Indianboy wrote:@ Luke have you managed your build ?
yes mate been on for last 10 years but hasn't moved far in the last 5 :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Indianboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:14 am

Cool :)
Indianboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Indianboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:15 am

Cool :)
did you have to reset/adjust anything with the braking front/rear balance ?
Indianboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Customising and one offs