*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 LWB Ex-Feuerwehr Camper Conversion

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk1 LWB Ex-Feuerwehr Camper Conversion

Postby Luke » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:33 pm

ake wrote:Steady on Luke, you'll finish it if your not careful :lol:
Nah i'll get fed up soon and move on to another project :lol:

got the mk1 axle off and one thing i might have overlooked is the U bolt sizes, i havent compaired them but they look different, but i think i have some mk3 U bols i can use - if not i'll buy some new ones :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:54 pm

the U bolts are different the mk1 ones would have fitted but the mk3 are bigger so went with those - the only problem ive got is the shocker mounts need the axle drilling out for the larger mk1 ones but i may convert to later types depending on availability

all fitted now :D

i have got the mk1 5 stud hubs to try on but i thought if i try them on i'll never take them off to paint them up and im pritty certain they will be ok so i'm gonna paint them then fit them. also the original master cylinder seals have gone so i'll have to fit a later one on the correct side. i did have a mount somewhere but cant find it now :roll:

looking at water tanks as well the fresh water i can fit behind the axle and infront of the space its 95litres (750x400x350) which i think would be ok
but the waste i can only find a 10 litre one as i want to fit it right at the back on the offside and i think i might need a bit more than 10 litres :?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby jonochap » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Wow, and fitted carpet under the wheels! :)
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:28 pm

jonochap wrote:Wow, and fitted carpet under the wheels! :)
haha yeah :mrgreen: didnt want to scratch the new axle while i was fitting it :roll: :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:45 pm

got the pas box lined up - i had to use the mk3 inner wing bracket unfortunatly that doesnt line up to the early mk1 innerwing so ive had to do a bit of modding - its bolted in now (not in the pic)
the problem with other mk1's with pas is there is always a bit of misalignment with the rubber coupling so i wanted to do away with that - luckly the mk3 short stem will fit on exactly the same splines - i was going to use a swb one for better availabilty but worst case i'll have one machined down (the swb is longer) but its very close to the bulkhead as it is so i think i'll stick with the mk3 short one

anyway heres a pic of it in situ

as i say its all bolted in and steering from a right hand side wheel now 8) just needs the colum sorting but thats another day :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Vandalism » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:25 am

interesting to see that as the top part of the column is missing from my kit and wasnt sure which one to use - somone said upper part of mk3/4/5 one but wasnt sure
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Vandalism wrote:interesting to see that as the top part of the column is missing from my kit and wasnt sure which one to use - somone said upper part of mk3/4/5 one but wasnt sure
top part? you mean bottom part? the bit ive bolted to the box is a mk3 lwb - they are a bit shorter than the mk3/4/5 swb's
if you mean the column they are all the same - but keep tuned for what ive got to do to that to get it to fit :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Vandalism » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 am

what i mean is somones cut the column bit just above the knuckle joint (thats sticking out the bulkhead in the pic) even tho i asked them for the whole column :?
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:27 am

ah well your in luck thats the most common part any mk3-5 transit they are all the same :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 am

here's the latest - sat on 4x 5 stud wheels, i've got a better set of wellers painted up nice, these are a bit chippped :? which will be fitted later, these are just temparary for the MOT but it shows the stance :mrgreen: does look a bit different with the single wheels on the back :D

i can't get it started now - rather than wasting time i'll just get it done and tow it round the block to start it, i'm itching to drive it but ive got the steering to finish and all the brakes to do before i can do that :P
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:13 pm

sorted the shocker issue - i just 'machined' down the bolt so it fits in the axle (rather than drilling the axle) :idea: that way i can convert to the later type shockers if need be :D the passangers side is complete and the wheel shouldn't need to come off again

unfortunatly my angle grinder packed in so i've got a bit of a break untill the new one arrives :x ordered a new angle grinder and brushes for the old one - usefull to have 2 angle grinders save swapping the wheels over :D

ive got the drivers seat to do i'm using a mk4 seat mounting it on a swivel base - i like the mk4 as i find them comfortable :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby MONSTER 0NE » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:27 pm

coming along nicely now mate, will be ready for mania at this rate :wink:
Right 5th Transit now A black petrol mk5 swb, soon to be coverted into a day van mpv.
RIP CATDADDY gone but never forgotten you were a true legend
RIP Ratwood another true great gone who will also never be forgotten
MONSTER 0NE
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:28 pm

MONSTER 0NE wrote:coming along nicely now mate, will be ready for mania at this rate :wink:
hmmmm :mrgreen:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby oldskooler » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:11 am

looking v cool luke, shes coming along nicely. are you going to get the rear wellers banded?
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Vandalism » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:25 am

that would look nice, so they fill the lwb arches unless your going for spats - would jag spats fit do you think with a bit of playing around
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!