*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Auto temp module/22° bug - should I ask for a refund?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Auto temp module/22° bug - should I ask for a refund?

Postby Tran59 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Had the new-fangled automatic A/C cabin temperature module fitted by my dealer a couple of weeks ago at a cost of over £600 with labour.

As far as I can tell, all the other members on here who have had it fitted are having the same problem with the "22° bug". Basically, irrespective of the temperature you have dialed in, the unit randomly but regularly switches itself back to 22°after a few minutes, thereby rendering the whole idea of an auto temp control completely useless.

In the winter when I'm well wrapped up, I will maybe set the dial to 17 or 18 degrees. No problem for a few minutes, then wallop, I get hit by a stifling blast of hot air in the face. I look down and yep, it's reset to 22°.

I have mentioned this to my Ford dealer a couple of times, but they have no idea what could be causing the problem and, when I tell them everyone else is having the same issue, they say that it must be a problem with the units and leave it at that.

TBH, if I had know (and given the cost), I would have left the manual unit in. What would you do? Ask them to put the old unit back in and refund me the £600, or wait until a fix comes out?

The best mods are the ones you don't see
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Auto temp module/22° bug - should I ask for a refund?

Postby Altransit » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Not sure what laws you have in France, but here in the UK, if you buy an item for a specific purpose, and it doesn't perform that purpose, you have the right to a full refund :wink:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby se7en » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:54 pm

I would stick with the original control, you know that works, and there is no problem with any warranty work that may arise in the future, I'd send it back, If it does not work,... its no good !! and it wasn't cheap......£600 !! ..... I'm sure, if you had done some work for somebody and gave them an invoice for that much for something that does not do what its supposed to,... they would let YOU know....!!
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Can they put the original back?. From what I've seen on here, don't they have to modify/cut/remove bits of the original fittings

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=150610&start=75#p1275336
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Alar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 pm

It does not switch back to 22 deg, but it does it after it shuts down. As im driving alot in dark, I see it well. Hole unit blacks out for about 3 seconds and when it starts, even regardless if was on 22 or not, it starts to blow air harder, then it did before. So in my eyes, it restarts itself. Sometimes its ok for an hour, othertime it restarts itself 4-5 times a hour.
125ps 310LWB Trend Powerty Edition
Alar
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby BRAVO9992 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:03 pm

They would probably say they'd like to see the problem, then they'd give you the vehicle back saying they didnt see it.

Or if you push it they may replace it with another auto unit first.

The main prob is the 'damage' caused fitting the auto unit, if your ok with having a blanking plug fitted where the sensor was you should be able to get a full refund, but if you start asking for a new cowl without the hole, they'll come up with every excuse not to change it back
BROWNWIRE ELECTRICAL
290,155,L1,MidnightSky,Limited
BRAVO9992
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rugmuncher » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Id ask for a refund, simples!!!

Can I ask you guys who bought this.....Why exactly?
At such a rip off cost (imo of course)!
Rugmuncher
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Alar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:18 pm

I'd ask why not? Been used to automatic aircon on my other cars, so went for it
Alar
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby unimaniac » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Why are you not simply going back to your dealer and get unit exchanged ?
If something is wrong with it they must do.
The issue is known in Germany to dealers and affected units were exchanged immediately,
there was a software bug on the first units, ending with periodical re-starts and resets.
My second one works fine now.
unimaniac

Postby BRAVO9992 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:51 pm

unimaniac wrote:Why are you not simply going back to your dealer and get unit exchanged ?
If something is wrong with it they must do.
The issue is known in Germany to dealers and affected units were exchanged immediately,
there was a software bug on the first units, ending with periodical re-starts and resets.
My second one works fine now.

Germany... Says it all mate, they're sensible and do things like reading emails about faults and contacting customers to help them out..... We in england on the other hand.. :(
BROWNWIRE ELECTRICAL
290,155,L1,MidnightSky,Limited
BRAVO9992
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tran59 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:51 am

My dealer has agreed to exchange it for a new one. Glad to hear your second one works.
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Alar » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:12 am

Tran59, have you got your new unit? My dealer said that I had already had the newer unit installed and have to wait for a new software and the usual bollocks. Ford would probably try to fix a flat tire also with software update....
Alar
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tran59 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:50 am

Alar wrote:Tran59, have you got your new unit? My dealer said that I had already had the newer unit installed and have to wait for a new software and the usual bollocks. Ford would probably try to fix a flat tire also with software update....

No, still waiting. They have ordered a new unit (apparently), but no news as yet. I don't use my van much over the winter, so I'm not really in any rush, TBH. In fact, I'm even contemplating selling it and doing without a van all together...
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mussels » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:14 am

Alar wrote:Tran59, have you got your new unit? My dealer said that I had already had the newer unit installed and have to wait for a new software and the usual bollocks. Ford would probably try to fix a flat tire also with software update....

If be asking for a refund in that case and consider buying another when they can make it work.
Mussels
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Custom