*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Idiots guide to IDS

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:44 am

All good thoughts Loot...
Regarding the "region" issue...one would think that if the IDS was region specific, it would boot me out straight away once it knows the PCM or BCM etc are Aussie specific, I have told the IDS it I am based in the UK.?? I may try telling it to be Aussie and see what happens...nothing to lose..! :(

I really don't want to go to Ford to get a PCM update...that's the reason I go into all this IDS/VCM2 stuff....so I could do it all myself...!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18705
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby loot » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:53 am

Me too :-)

You've tried nearly everything now tho :-(

Different laptops
Different vcm
Different vehicles
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:07 pm

loot wrote:Me too :-)

You've tried nearly everything now tho :-(

Different laptops
Different vcm
Different vehicles


Yeah....I have a friend fairly local who has another VCM2 and lappy, will try that during the week and see how it goes, he hasn't done any programming or PCM updates though...we'll soon see I guess.

I'm going to have a look around for a spare PCM module...just to play with...I'm sure mine is still ok though...

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18705
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby loot » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Hmm the question is tho who's in charge of the programming? Bcm or pcm, pcm for engine related stuff but bcm is a can bus passthrough module, can ids program the pcm directly?? (No idea Lol) but then we still don't know if the problem is ids or your van.

But then it must be ids if it didn't reprogram the focus mustn't it??

Aaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhh :lol:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:50 pm

loot wrote:Hmm the question is tho who's in charge of the programming? Bcm or pcm, pcm for engine related stuff but bcm is a can bus passthrough module, can ids program the pcm directly?? (No idea Lol) but then we still don't know if the problem is ids or your van.

But then it must be ids if it didn't reprogram the focus mustn't it??

Aaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhh :lol:


It's either the IDS or the VCM2's I've used.....pretty sure the PCM modules on both my van and the Focus are ok since the vehicles were running fine previously with no faults....I only had issues when I replaced the SCV & PRV on my van due to a slight hunting at idle, then tried to do the Pump & Pilot learns, as you should do.

When the pump learn failed 3 times due to idle speed too low, was ~790rpm instead of the normal ~800-805rpm, it then told me I needed to do the PCM update .....and as you know, the IDS then tells me the DLC voltage is low and aborts the procedure, so I can't do either process....it now lives in "Limp mode" and I can't do a pump or pilot learn until I do the PCM update...as mentioned, rock and hard place... :(

Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh indeed..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18705
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby loot » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:02 pm

OK.
Where did you get the scv and prv from?

Also, despite it saying you should do a pcm update, that shouldn't be needed at all, I've never been told to do a pcm update in ids iirc.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:23 am

loot wrote:OK.
Where did you get the scv and prv from?

Also, despite it saying you should do a pcm update, that shouldn't be needed at all, I've never been told to do a pcm update in ids iirc.


I bought the SCV here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291440497944 ... EBIDX%3AIT

And the PRV from here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331527531856 ... EBIDX%3AIT

When I tried to do the Pump learn after fitting the new valves, it failed three times due to "idle speed too low", IDS then popped up a window which said... "if the pump learn fails three times in succession, a PCM update may be required"... so I attempted to do that...well you know the story from then on...!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18705
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby tibsy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:45 am

have you tried reinstalling the old valves to see what happens with ids /vcm?
mk7,60 plate,2.4-115ps-hirf lwb rwd
The words of the Prophet`s are written on the subway walls
tibsy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: beds

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby loot » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:50 am

I remember now , that's the standard. Message response i think Lol.

I would also say put your old valves in and try the learns. :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:11 am

tibsy wrote:have you tried reinstalling the old valves to see what happens with ids /vcm?



Wow...great minds think alike :wink: ...I had already thought about that very idea last night.... and "re-fitted" the SCV after work this arvo.....didn't do the PRV though, I figured since it doesn't flow any fuel anywhere unless it's blown and doesn't have any sort of electrical feedback to the PCM....it shouldn't make a difference. The original was still in one piece and not leaking either so I could've left it in there I guess....no matter I have two good ones now.

Anywho...IDS finally allowed me to do the pump learn successfully after refitting the old SCV back in.... but it fails the Pilot learn....but doesn't say why! :? I tried it three times, IDS still comes up with the old "if the procedure fails three times then do a PCM update" story....so essentially I'm back to square one again....I got all excited when the pump learn went through clean....then I cried like a little girl when the pilot learn failed.... :(

I really do appreciate the help you guys are trying to give me, especially Loot...thanks mate :D .... If you're ever down-under in Sydney in the future...I owe you a nice cuppa and a few biccies..! ....Or even a beverage or seven.. :mrgreen: I don't drink but you can have as much as you like..! Might even let you have a sit in my jet go-kart...!

Only done the SCV twice and had it done in ~1/2 hour..!

Lord knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18705
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby tibsy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 am

how can you be sure the prv is not leaking under pressure!?
mk7,60 plate,2.4-115ps-hirf lwb rwd
The words of the Prophet`s are written on the subway walls
tibsy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: beds

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby loot » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:02 am

Yes do the prv mate they have a pin hole with sprung ball bearing in, if you swap that so they are both old ones and you do both learns then those new parts are shite:-(

We know there are bad copies in circulation, i even had a member round who fitted some (from non Ford sellers) and i had the same problems as you and the van was running like a bag of.......

You need genuine denso/from Ford ideally, valves.

Regarding your pcm update, the quest continues :lol:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:11 am

tibsy wrote:how can you be sure the prv is not leaking under pressure!?


I just remove the leak-back pipe on the back of the common rail, (RWD), and start the engine, if there's fuel coming out of the valve housing, you know your PRV valve is shot....if not it's probably ok....both my original and the new one were as dry as a nun's nasty..! If you remove the valve and it comes out in pieces...it's duff and must be replaced.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18705
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby loot » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:25 am

I'd swap the prv, did yours come with a thin copper washer or thick aluminium 1?

Despite the prv not physically blown, it can have other problems, it's atleast worth swapping out and trying the learns :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34203
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Idiots guide to IDS

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:11 pm

loot wrote:I'd swap the prv, did yours come with a thin copper washer or thick aluminium 1?

Despite the prv not physically blown, it can have other problems, it's atleast worth swapping out and trying the learns :-)


The new one has the thin copper washer like the original. Valve looks exactly like the original too. I'll swap it out and fit the old one this afternoon after work anyway and re-try the learns again, as mentioned previously, I've got nothing to lose..!

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18705
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.