*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

loss of electrics

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: loss of electrics

Postby whatstuffisthething » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:02 am

MinorMatt wrote:Cut the wires and solder?

By that, do you mean bypass the connector completely? I did think of that...
89' Reimo Campervan MK3
whatstuffisthething
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby whatstuffisthething » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:50 am

Yesterday, I took a 400km trip after I was able to get the engine started again.
I experimented while I was driving, to see if the connection was holding, afraid it would overheat and melt the connector even more.

What I found is that the wires are getting heated when I am driving, especially when I use many electronics (max heater, headlights). When I turn off the blower and the lights, the wires seem to not be so warm. Is this just bad design? I would guess that the temperature of the wire came up to 60-70 degrees, hot enough to feel it, but probably not enough to melt any thing. Is it possible that Ford just used a wire too small for its function?

Just wondering if this is a common thing, if any of your have ever felt that these wires are getting hot when driving?
89' Reimo Campervan MK3
whatstuffisthething
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby plainlazy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Currently got the new metal switch i got off ebay on my van, it seems ok but i have yet to take the van for a good run due to lack of MOT. The new switch is held in place with a jublee clip which seem to do the trick. Still trying to find what size fuse i should have for the main fuse which is near the battery ?
I will go and check the 6 pin connector though.
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby plainlazy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Have noticed that the last wire on the right when you look at the female switch conection is slightly melted. This could be the problem i was having with all the electrics cutting out when driving.
Still trying to sorce a plastic ignition switch as pictures below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby whatstuffisthething » Tue May 15, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm sure you figured this out by now, but in my case, I ended up finding a plastic ignition switch like the one you were looking for on eBay in Germany. Ended up costing way too much for a little plastic part, but now everything is working fine.

The main wires (black and red) are still running hot when electrical system is loaded.
89' Reimo Campervan MK3
whatstuffisthething
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby plainlazy » Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi Whatstuff

I did manage to get a plastic switch in the end off ebay for £20. Thanks
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous