*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Eberspacher repairs and misc bits n' bobs (a few pics)

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Eberspacher repairs and misc bits n' bobs (a few pics)

Postby moojuice » Mon May 14, 2007 2:30 am

Well over the past few months ive noticed a damp patch under the van and the cooling fluid level falling. So last week i bit the bullet and decided to investigate. Turns out the Eberspacher cab heater was leaking from the water pump, mostt probably from the gasket between the heat exchanger and the burner unit and also the steel pipes supplying the water to and from the unit had rusted badly and were leaking.

So.... out came the heater and a Y piece of copper pipe was installed bypassing the heater and the rusting steel pipes. This kept the van on the road whilst I could work on the heater.

First I set about stripping down the Eberspacher. The one I have is a D5W on a W reg ex BT van. There's a datasheet here - http://www.eberspacher.com/files/pdfs/water_pdf/D5W_manual.pdf
which might help anyone else one day. Its accurate except for the timer module - but as its good, I wasnt worried about that.

Note the pink stain on the clip that holds the heater together - been leaking there, so it will get the Hermetite instant gasket treatment.

View of wiring JB on top of heater - a bit of a tight squeeze here, and theres a dropper resistor here too (assuming it for the speed control of the air blower).

This is the insides of the heat exchanger - this butts up against the burner unit bit of the heater with no sign of a proper gasket. As for the inner and outer bits of the h. exchanger - they couldnt come apart but Im sure they are leaking from here. Loads of instant gasket sealer will have to be applied.

The burner unit that insterts into the heat exchanger. Sothing wrong with this, so all it got was a cleanup on the face that goes against the heat exchanger.

Two parts of heater joined back up- gasket sealer in place. Ive since had to upen this joint up and add loads more gasket sealer to stop a leak. Just hope its worked)
The water pump was dripping loads as well, so that also got the instant gasket treatment. That held well and hasnt leaked since touch wood.....

As for the steel pipes - they had rusted to f*** and had to go. Having spoken to Kreuger - my locak Eberspacher dealer) they scared me off with silly prices, so the pripes were gonna be made in copper.
Only Ford would use steel pipes for this eh....
Dad and I made up these - came out quite well using the pipe bender.

New pipes in place, connected to the calorifier engine and heater matrix.

Heater back under van, being put through its paces.

And so far it works - although there was a slight weeping from the heat exchanger, some more instant gasket seems to have fixed it for now - time will tell.

And on a side note I have also been busy on security and gadgetry......
Fitted this big bugger. - Rusts quickly though, but cant complain as it was given to me by Dad.

Me and my BF made a little sheet of perspex to hold the sat nav sucky cup thing onto. The perspex then clips onto the map holder thingie on the dash of a MK5 - no marks on the windscreen then ;)

Then I invested in a reversing camera - made a little box for it out of 50x50 galv trunking.

This connects up to a new monitor which is rather tasty...

Alpine head unit (plays dvds onto the screen), freeview box hidden away to watch tv, and the camera on the back. The 6.5 inch screen disconnects easily to take out the van when its parked up too. Looks like a rear view mirror up there and its the dogs b**locks..

So yeah, Ive been a bit busy tinkering away on my baby :)
moojuice
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Nathan_Cardiff » Mon May 14, 2007 8:04 am

all looks very neat 8)
I remeber taking off my old heater off my Ex BT, and the van wouldnt start/fuel gauge or something, so bolted it back on :oops: :lol:
52 SWB Transit
Nathan_Cardiff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Monitor

Postby Terry » Mon May 14, 2007 4:19 pm

I got a 7" monitor up where the mirror would normally go, but its hard to see in daylight unless I lower the sunvisors to get a darker 'background'.
Could be the monitor is like me....old & knackered. :)
I got a little black book with me poems in
Pallet Puller
Terry
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Guy88 » Mon May 14, 2007 5:38 pm

Can you tell me how to drive the heater. the one in ours clicks but dont do F**k all else :(
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby hdegroot » Mon May 14, 2007 7:49 pm

The plastic bit should be under the radio instead of above it, Be sure to fit the white thing on the back of your radio or the radio will fall out when driving over bumps :roll:
MK5 150 LWB TD
Volvo C 3 0 3 4x4
hdegroot
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moojuice » Mon May 14, 2007 10:09 pm

hdegroot wrote:The plastic bit should be under the radio instead of above it, Be sure to fit the white thing on the back of your radio or the radio will fall out when driving over bumps :roll:

Well I had it round the other way before, but couldnt use the bracket that attaches the radio up to the top of the dash - too fiddly to get at to use and the radio kept slipping at an angle.
With it in its current position, its held in nicely by the cage and sits on top of the tiny cubbyholder thing below (which has finally found a use - holding the ipod connecting lead out of the way until its needed). So far the only movement ive had is from the blank plate at the top.

I'll probably have another look one day - not now though - there are way too many wires behind there plus power and video leads for the screen etc. A right nest of vipers.
moojuice
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Mon May 14, 2007 10:13 pm

moojuice wrote:
hdegroot wrote:The plastic bit should be under the radio instead of above it, Be sure to fit the white thing on the back of your radio or the radio will fall out when driving over bumps :roll:

Well I had it round the other way before, but couldnt use the bracket that attaches the radio up to the top of the dash - too fiddly to get at to use and the radio kept slipping at an angle.
With it in its current position, its held in nicely by the cage and sits on top of the tiny cubbyholder thing below (which has finally found a use - holding the ipod connecting lead out of the way until its needed). So far the only movement ive had is from the blank plate at the top.

I'll probably have another look one day - not now though - there are way too many wires behind there plus power and video leads for the screen etc. A right nest of vipers.

I had an adaptor but gave up and just got a dash section out of an earlier smiley that has the 2 single din slots.
Last edited by MrMPuk on Mon May 14, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby AndyG » Mon May 14, 2007 10:15 pm

MrMPuk wrote:I had an adaptor but gave up and just got a dash section out of an earkier smiley that has the 2 single din slots.

Snap :!: :wink: :lol:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby moojuice » Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 pm

Guy88 wrote:Can you tell me how to drive the heater. the one in ours clicks but dont do F**k all else :(

If its the heater making the noise its probably the fuel pump - that makes a clicking noise when its working. If you dont have the fan blower on the Eberspacher working, then it will not ignite properly and all you will hear are clicks from the fuel pump, then the flame sensor sees theres bugger all happening and shuts down the heater.

A simple thing to do - test if the fan works by unplugging the heater from the control box and connecting 12v across the motor leads (part of that large molex connector). Also, try the same thing with the water pump to see if it makes the right type of noises.

The water pump motor is magnetically coupled to the propeller through a semitranslucent plastic lid so you might hear it running but if theres a blockage in the water pump, then you might not realise without opening it up.

Not sure what else to suggest without seeing it for myself. Have a look at the PDF on the Eberspacher site or msn me and I might be able to help more. :)
moojuice
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Guy88 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:25 pm

its 3 fast clicks then what sounds like a fan slowing down. only lasts about a second.

It hasent been used for 9 months + :(
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby MrMPuk » Mon May 14, 2007 11:29 pm

Guy88 wrote:its 3 fast clicks then what sounds like a fan slowing down. only lasts about a second.

Sounds more like the ignitor trying then when it fails it shuts down.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Guy88 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:37 pm

MrMPuk wrote:
Guy88 wrote:its 3 fast clicks then what sounds like a fan slowing down. only lasts about a second.

Sounds more like the ignitor trying then when it fails it shuts down.

Time to take it apart :(
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby moojuice » Mon May 14, 2007 11:42 pm

If its not igniting then check the glow plug - that has a fuse all of its own I think. Either way it sounds like it needs a general good servicing. They reccomend you turn them on once a month briefly to stop the motors from siezeing up etc. Lack of use!
moojuice
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Guy88 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:48 pm

Il have to pull it out and have a look :(
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby silverspur » Tue May 15, 2007 6:14 pm

Hi moojuice,

where did you get your monitor and reversing camera from? I've seen a lot of cheap imports from China on Fleabay, with a monitor the size of a rear view mirror. Anyone got/tried one?
My trannie is a camper, so I'd like to try and use the same monitor for reversing and the portable satellite receiver. My luck is going to run out soon, guessing where the back end is, or using shop window reflections!

Thanks,
Alan
silverspur
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!