*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

needed to get a conversion registered

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: needed to get a conversion registered

Postby Joda » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:53 am

I have just purchased a 1983 mk2 Transit Camper van.

The Previous owner bought a mk1 Transit Dormobile in the mid 70's, but by 1983 the van was tired, so purchased a Brand New mk2 Transit from Ford in Grey Primer, a local Coach Builder then swapped everything from the mk1 to the mk2, including the pop up roof.

The van was never registered as a Camper tho, and is still taxed as a van.

Would i need to have it inspected by the DVLA ?
Joda
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby FredTransit » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:10 pm

We've got the opposite! Have a Mk1 that left Ford as a van, was professionally converted (noe returned to being a van) but was never registered as a camper. I don't think you will have a problem re registering as a camper. BTW it's only the body style that changes to motor caravan, and there's no taxation class for motor caravan or camper. If you supply your insurance company with plenty of pics there shouldn't be an issue. Send the same pics to the DVLA but just say you bought the van that way (true). They don't need to know the full history.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Joda » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:23 pm

FredTransit wrote:We've got the opposite! Have a Mk1 that left Ford as a van, was professionally converted (noe returned to being a van) but was never registered as a camper. I don't think you will have a problem re registering as a camper. BTW it's only the body style that changes to motor caravan, and there's no taxation class for motor caravan or camper. If you supply your insurance company with plenty of pics there shouldn't be an issue. Send the same pics to the DVLA but just say you bought the van that way (true). They don't need to know the full history.

It was the Blue mk2 that was on Ebay last week up here in Fife, Scotland.

I will save the ebay advert to prove thats how it came, can always get a reciept from the seller if needs must.

Can this be done before its road worthy? its needing sills and arches this winter!!
Joda
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby FredTransit » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:45 am

Don't see why not. Send off the V5, pics and a covering letter saying you want to set the record straight. Take it from there. One of your pics should be of the VIN plate clearly showing the VIN number and one of the whole van showing the number plate. As I said it's possible for a pro built camper to not have the registration changed so the DVLA should have come across this before.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Tango330 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:38 am

Hi guys, I'm thinking of fitting a second row of seats and trying to re-register my van as a "dual purpose vehicle". It already has side windows, and I'm fitting a new tailgate with a window this week.

Question is, do I just send off the v5 with some photos requesting the change, and what are the chances :?:
T330 RWD now sold
Ford Ranger Wildtrack now sold

MI 5 sacked me from my job as an interrogator this morning, didn't like to ask why :?
Tango330
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby davew2 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:16 am

Joda wrote:I have just purchased a 1983 mk2 Transit Camper van.

The Previous owner bought a mk1 Transit Dormobile in the mid 70's, but by 1983 the van was tired, so purchased a Brand New mk2 Transit from Ford in Grey Primer, a local Coach Builder then swapped everything from the mk1 to the mk2, including the pop up roof.

The van was never registered as a Camper tho, and is still taxed as a van.

Would i need to have it inspected by the DVLA ?
is this it :wink:viewtopic.php?f=11&t=162053
If it ain't got leaf springs it in't a commercial
davew2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby henry harvey » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:05 pm

Just got my v5 back today. Took 2 weeks. Sent plenty of pictures and have done nothing to the outside to change the appearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
henry harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby vampirequeen » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Aren't they demanding decals anymore?
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby henry harvey » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:34 pm

vampirequeen wrote:Aren't they demanding decals anymore?

Was never mentioned. I took about 18 pics lol and sent them. Two weeks later new v5
henry harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby paulrichardson » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:12 pm

steviebee wrote:Just had mine registered as Motor caravan, bed goes across back and is therefore not 6' long.

My bed also goes across the back and measure 5' 10", did you mention in your letter to DVLA what the actual length was?

Regards,

Paul
paulrichardson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:16 pm

vampirequeen wrote:Aren't they demanding decals anymore?

No that was a stupid old rule that they have since changed. After all decals don't make any difference to what's inside. Just got my V5 back as Motor Caravan, and I haven't added anything to the outside other than windows.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:19 pm

paulrichardson wrote:
steviebee wrote:Just had mine registered as Motor caravan, bed goes across back and is therefore not 6' long.

My bed also goes across the back and measure 5' 10", did you mention in your letter to DVLA what the actual length was?

Regards,

Paul

Paul this was something that worried me as well, so much so that I contacted the DVLA - TWICE! - to ask them about this. Their response - both times - was that they have no critera for bed length (just that it is fixed to vehicle in some way). I did mention both times to the people I spoke to that it's all over the internet - even on the Govt website - that there is a minimum bed length, but I was told by DVLA that they don't know anything about that and don't consider it.

I have just got my V5 back as Motor Caravan - I have a bed across the back - I made no mention of bed length in my letter - and I had no problems. Hope that helps.

All very confusing though - I must admit!
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnteddy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi,Im hoping to get my conversion registered with the dvla asap as my insurance is due 16 oct.but i have a couple of questions i need help with.
I have a bed thats sideways across the van. will this be considered too small? The van is a 2006 swb. van measures about 70"across (should i picture it running length ways if possible? (ive just read above post !!! duhhhhh . so im good to go with the bed i think! duhhh.

what do i do with the V5C document. Do i just sign and date where it says declaration of details.
I will be taking some photos soon and writing accompanying description. would 2 portable water containers 15 litrs each be aceptable. (The type you can fold when empty). I think i have everything else covered. Any help with any of this will be much appreciated. Thanks for your time if youve read this. john.
ps. Ive read the govt page as advised on 1st post. Do i just write campervan (where it says panel van in section 4 ) many thanks.
johnteddy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Bed across the back is fine - there's no problem there.

All it says is you need fresh and waste water storage - no mention of what form those must be, so pretty sure you are ok there too.

You need to write "Motor Caravan" on the log book - the official accepted term for a campervan.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnteddy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:11 pm

Thanks for your help. much appreciated. let you know how i get on cheers john
johnteddy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions