*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Heated Mirrors / screen and intermittent wiper delay???

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Heated Mirrors / screen and intermittent wiper delay???

Postby APH » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi, before I go completely destroying my connect trying to retro fit bits, has anyone had any success with the variable intermittent wiper delay on a 2007 connect that is using the gem / fuse box set up.

I have a stalk, but the van dosent have a wire form pin1 to anywhere, and the delay and existing wiper relay are built into the fuse box. I assume can-bus controlled on that age van. Any ideas if it can be modded / added?

Also, I currently don't have heated mirrors or any screens etc, or electric Windows. I know the loom is all there for the Windows apart from inside the doors, as got the door bits from another van and plugged in and they work straight away, I have the fuses already for mirrors and Windows, and obviously most of the dash loom must already be there, so provided I have all the wires going to the module where the switch should be, should my heated mirrors work if I fit the correct switches (rear window de mist I'm assuming)? or would there be another relay too? will my gem / fuse box thingy need re programming? was going to fit a new switch assembly with front and rear screen switches, but have no idea if the front screen would be possible either, as once again must be controlled via the fuse box internal timing etc....

Definately give me something to work on when the weather improves :D but if anyone has already done any of these additions to the older shape but later model vans with can bus fuse box that can help or point in the right direction..always appreciated, :wink: If it was a mk6 transit I'd have had no trouble at all, but I've never worked on connects in any great detail before so still learning as I go 8)

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Heated Mirrors / screen and intermittent wiper delay???

Postby g-man » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:27 pm

few have tried but not been done afaik.......viewtopic.php?f=54&t=57955&hilit=intermittant+wipe#p499282
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby APH » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:12 pm

g-man wrote:few have tried but not been done afaik.......<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=57955&hilit=intermittant+wipe#p499282</span>

Thanks for that...Hmm I like a challenge.. :wink: ......but suspect I'll probably give up on the wipers, although I'll have a go. I've ordered a replacement fuse box, not to use, but to pull apart and investigate, as I'm assuming the existing circuitry is inside, along with possibly signals from the CAN network coming from the dashboard. I'll see what I can figure out.

Can't understand why it wasn't a simple upgrade on the connect, as it is on nearly all other makes and models of ford. I can't believe they made it impossible on just the connect variant :? ....Should just be standard on everything, as Such a simple yet useful design, and was fairly standard years ago from other manufacturers (even our old 1982 Nissan cherry had it as standard) , then became an upgrade for some reason...Grrr :evil:

The other bits might be easier, although re programming is probably necessary. Will have to try and get my IDS working properly.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby APH » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 am

UPDATE so far.....

I have fitted the electric Windows and Mirrors, and all is working perfectly. I fitted a new recirculate switch assembly that had the heated front and rear screen switches, and they worked as they should. rear screen operates a internal relay inside the fuse box and the mirrors heat up nicely, and the front screen switch illuminates with engine running, although the relay for that one is not fitted. I think that's going to be fairly simple to complete the missing wiring and parts though.

I've got a replacement clocks / speedo assembly coming, as I want to have a play with the internal timing module and se about the wipers, I'm sure it's doable...just not necessarily going to be a nice plug and play option I was hoping for.

I'll keep you posted...

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Altransit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:41 am

If anyone can do it ...................................

8) :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby g-man » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm

let us know
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:33 pm

I can sense another technical 'How To' in the offing :mrgreen: :P 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby APH » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Altransit wrote:I can sense another technical 'How To' in the offing :mrgreen: :P 8)

8) May not be for a while yet, as I'm rather busy with work atm, and not sure if it's going to work at all yet.....but I'll have a damn good try :wink: :lol:

Andy. :D

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic