*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK6 project.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK6 project.

Postby daz1412 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Bought a mk6 RWD minibus about 3 months ago. I decided to convert this into a camper and all in all has been a great success. Took her on a round trip to amsterdam 2 weeks ago and had no major issues - just a few things which I feel need attention.

she needed a fair bit of TLC. So far i've done..

Welding - the rear wheel arches needed welding, the passenger side especially needed a lot of welding.
Front brake pads - the front brake pads were... how do I put it? non existent.
Passenger front wheel bearing
Speedometer sorted
bumper and wings changed

The trip highlighted a few problems and hence I have a few questions to ask you veterans.

I seemed to be getting a noise from the rear end, kind of a constant drone. when taken out of gear it seems to quieten down a little so this made me think the gearbox oil could do with changing?
secondly I haven't had chance to have a look at the drums and shoes on the back - this leads to my second question. are the drums and shoes for a RWD different to that of a FWD?
Thirdly - i've had it suggested that it could be a halfshaft bearing causing the noise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the before and after picture. Still got a fair bit to do before I take her all the way to Greece this summer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK6 project.

Postby daz1412 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:20 pm

BUMP - gonna tackle changing the drums and shoes next, finally moving to a place with a driveway so can get down to changing anything that needs doing, shortly behind the drums and shoes will be the horn issue, any ideas where the apparent third relay box is? any help appreciated.
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK6 project.

Postby dumper » Wed May 10, 2017 7:58 am

I think it is in engine bay n/s below the washer bottle filler neck you have two boxes in engine bay
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits