*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Conrod's Supervan 2

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Conrod's Supervan 2

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:19 am

Originally posted August 19th 2016.

Reposted here because photobucket are b*stards and have removed third party hosting unless I pay them a ransom!

robbie.cee wrote:Only be about 100 quid to post it
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:19 am

Reposted here because photobucket are b*stards and have removed third party hosting unless I pay them a ransom!

robbie.cee wrote:Send a few supercharger over too wink wink
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:20 am

PInto was removed by previous owner in 1997 when the V6 went it ;) And yeah, would require a lot of postage stamps and largish envelope :)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 am

Originally posted November 2nd 2016.

irmscher wrote:The van looks fantastic :)
Last edited by conrod on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:24 am

Originally posted November 6th 2016.

I have been slowly working away on this van, and dropped the engine in yesterday. What a bloody mission! The extra height of the supercharger made it REALLY tight to get in there. I had to notch the front crossmember to allow the sump to drop down and clear it, and it is really tight for space in all directions. But it does fit! And no cutting or beating of the floorpan or bulkhead required! There are a few tweaks needed for clearance, but nothing major.

Here is a pic of it sitting in place.

009.JPG

I have also installed a MK3 Transit power steering box. The steering box was straightforward enough, remove the Mk2 mounting plate and fit the Mk3 version. For the steering column I used the Mk2 outer part, and cut it off where it protrudes through the bulkhead. I fitted the Mk5 shaft to this. And used a coupling from a Mk5 with the 2x UJ's so that I could get rid of the rubber coupling that the Mk3 has, and also keep the steering column on its original axis. I will do a detailed write up of this later, as there was a little bit more to it than this, but you get the idea.

006 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by conrod on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:25 am

Originally posted November 9th 2016.

robbie.cee wrote:Wow top work !!!
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:29 am

Originally posted November 25th 2016.

PIO wrote:That is a Super Van, Literally... Love it...

Well done...
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:30 am

Originally posted December 7th 2016.

I have been working on the steering column amongst other things lately, and thought I would detail this a bit, as it might be of interest to anyone who is fitting a Mk3 power steering box to a Mk2.
Basically I wanted:
a) power steering
b) the steering shaft on its original axis (ie. not skewed)
c) original Mk2 column switches, ignition and steering wheel
d) to look like it was factory fitted.

So I started with a Mk3 PS box, and a Mk5 column and coupling.

The PS box I mounted as normal, ie. remove the Mk2 mounting plate, bolt and weld in the Mk3 mounting plate, and fit the box. I had a tapered sleeve machined up to fit inside the Mk3 drop arm, so that I could fit the Mk2 tie rod/ball joint directly to the Mk3 arm. Easy :)

The coupling used was from Mk5. I didn't want to use the Mk3 coupling with its rubber joint, and wanted the column on its original axis, so this required a coupling with 2x UJ's, and the Mk5 coupling was just the ticket here. the spline from the mk5 steering rack matches that of the Mk3 PS box. So I had my machine shop milled the triangle shape down a further 80mm or so, and then cut the shaft off shorter to fit.

006 (2).JPG

For the steering column, after some measuring, I cut the Mk2 column off just where it protrudes through the bulkhead. I bored the end ( I think it was 0.4mm taken out) and pushed the lower bearing from the Mk5 column in. I removed the upper mounting bracket from the mk5 column, and welded it further down the mk2 column, after shortening one side.

012.JPG

025.JPG

I removed the bush for the steering lock from the Mk5 column, drilled it out, and welded it to the Mk2 column. I then took a 1mm cutoff wheel, and put a cut through the master spline on the steering shaft, where the steering wheel attaches. This is the only difference between the Mk5 and Mk2 spline, and allows the Mk2 wheel to fit on now.

It was then a case of assembling it, using the original Mk2 bulkhead grommet, and bolting it in. Strangely enough, the Mk2 had a lower mounting point on the pedalbox, which looks like it was for this intended purpose. I think the whole lot looks like it was factory fitted now :)

001.JPG

003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:38 am

Originally posted December 7th 2016.

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:44 am

Originally posted December 13th 2016.

magic ox wrote:Hi , That's very neat work. I've done something similar on a Mk2 County but I used the bottom end of the Mk3 column and rewelded the plate on the end to suit the Mk2 bulkhead. I've still got the rubber bit UJ thing some I'm very interested as to why you changed yours. It does look more solid than mine. I just figured if it worked on a Mk3 it should work on the MK2. Have you ever heard of problems on the Mk3's?, Cheers, Charlie
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:44 am

Originally posted December 13th 2016.

Hi Charlie,

the rubber coupling should work fine if it is in good nick. Problem is, mine was quite average, and being rubber it will generally perish and wear with age, and this introduces play into the steering. So rather than persevere with this system, I opted for the Mk5 version, which uses a U/J instead. Transits have so much opportunity and places for free-play in the steering that I wanted to eliminate another possible source!

Theoretically you could make your the same if you desired just by swapping out the Mk3 coupling for the Mk5 version, and shortening it as necessary. The spline is the same, as is the triangle shape where it clamp into the steering shaft. The Mk5 coupling was just a normal steering rack coupling (Mk5's did not run a box)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:45 am

Originally posted December 14th 2016.

magic ox wrote:Thanks for that. I've got a mate scrapping a Mk5 so I'll nip round and get the coupling.
I'm lucky enough to have access to a machine shop so if it needs modifying I can sort it.
I totally agree about eliminating as much play as possible.

Also I love the engines you're squeezing in. I've only got a Di in mine but I've done too much bodywork to want to chop the bulkhead.
Maybe one day I'll change it for something more powerful.
Cheers, Charlie
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:46 am

the nice thing about the supercharged V6 is that no chopping of the bulkhead was necessary! It was REALLY tight, but went in without any bashing or cutting :) Although I suspect sourcing one in the UK might be another matter completely!
Last edited by conrod on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:46 am

nedforceone wrote:The other day I was watching the grand tour with the dodge challenger wild cat and when you could hear the supercharger I though of your van and wonder if it sounds anything like that does :P the engine and supercharger looks so right in there 8) N
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:48 am

unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) the SC V6 does not sound any different to the NA V6 it is replacing, no blower or belt noise etc..........
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 1 & 2