*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine swap help please

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Engine swap help please

Postby ciath » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi All,

I have posted already about my 06 Connect. I was hoping to get more power out of it but after driving it for over a month now I am starting to realise the old TDDI engine is clapped out. I am thinking best route from here is an engine swap. F9DA 115PS TDCI focuses seem to be rare enough here in Ireland. Hard to find one complete or for breaking. Is it possible to use the newer MK2 KKDA. I am sure the gearbox for the connect will be fine for the moment. I know I will need complete engine with all ancilaries, ecu, loom, injectors, turbo but is there anything else? Exhaust, manifold? Is the TDCI loom an easy fit to the TDDI or will I need to change the dash, clocks or anything else?
ciath

Re: Engine swap help please

Postby paul2012 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 am

Focus KKDA engine is only suitable for 2006-2010 Connects. It's a Euro 4 engine with Siemens Injectors & fuel pump. :!:

To fit a KKDA engine to a 2000-2006 Connect. You will require all the following parts from a 2006-2009 Connect.
complete wiring looms - all of them from front to back, Instrument cluster & PCM (Engine ECU), Turbo with associated boost hoses & inlet manifold & Air filter box with MAF sensor. :idea:

Connect TDCI from 2003-2006 are Euro 3 engine & uses Delph injectors & fuel pump. Focus mk1 F9DA is a direct replacement.
Can be used as a conversion from TDDI to TDCI. Although will require complete main engine bay wiring loom & engine subloom & PCM from a 2003-2006 Connect :wink:

For 2000-2006 Connects TDDI. Focus mk1 C9DA engine is a direct replacement
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ciath » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Ok thanks paul. So looks like f9da might be my best option. I can have a look on ebay. Can I use the focus ECU so im getting the full 115bhp out of it or does this not work with tdci connect loom? Will my tddi exhaust manifold and turbo work with the tdci or will this need to be changed? Do any of the ancilaries or injectors carry over or will I need all the tdci stuff?
ciath

Postby paul2012 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm

ciath wrote:Ok thanks paul. So looks like f9da might be my best option. I can have a look on ebay. Can I use the focus ECU so im getting the full 115bhp out of it or does this not work with tdci connect loom? Will my tddi exhaust manifold and turbo work with the tdci or will this need to be changed? Do any of the ancilaries or injectors carry over or will I need all the tdci stuff?

You can't run Focus 115ps PCM (Engine ECU) as 2003-2006 Connect wiring loom does not support it. (Wiring is missing for VAC solenoids for Focus 115ps VNT turbo, anti shudder valve & MAF sensor) :(

Turbo, inlet manifold, alternator, starter motor, can be used from old Connect engine.

You'll require bare F9DA engine complete with fuel pump, injectors.
To convert from TDDI to TDCI, You require full engine bay wiring loom with Engine sub loom & PCM from a 2003-2006 Connect 1.8 TDCI :wink:
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby liteace » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:18 pm

Focus F9DA will be perfect, I done the same to mine, engine and box

See here:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=149429

If your using chrome you can get the plug-in (link below) so the photobucket images are visible

https://outgoing.prod.mozaws.net/v1/6ce ... dkpmcpkaon
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ciath » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Ill look into it. Has anyone got part numbers for the engine bay and engine loom that I need to do this swap. Ive found a focus F9DA engine complete and ecu from same car.
ciath

Postby liteace » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Engine loom is the same on the focus so don't need changing, best to look for tdci connect without engine and take engine bay loom from that, it's a lot easier with the engine removed.
You can use the focus ecu if you fit the focus maf and vvt control solenoid or get it re-programmed with the connect software if your going to use the connects turbo

liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ciath » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 am

Perfect. Does the it have to be a 2003 to 2006 TDCI connect or will and TDCI connect engine bay loom do? Very hard to find TDCI pre 2006 over here. They are all TDDI pre 2006. My Connect is even badged TDCI on the logbook (v5) but it is in fact a TDDI :roll:
ciath

Postby liteace » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:22 pm

It has to be early connect up to 06, they changed from delphi to Siemens engine management, completely different system, loom and ecu

liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Connect