*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil leak from turbo pipe?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Oil leak from turbo pipe?

Postby aldbuilder » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi Guys, have been searching for a while now and can't find anything relevant!!
Hoping some one can point me in the right direction.
2005 Transit Connect 2002-, 1.8L Duratorq TC (75PS) -
Has a serious oil leak since i picked it up a few weeks ago. Cleaned all the oil off the underside and still couldn't find it. Did an oil and filter change last weekend, and while changing the air filter i noticed someone had taped up a split in the big pipe going from the airbox down to what i believe is the turbo! Bought a new one from ebay and changed it yesterday. (runs much better without the constant stream of black smoke from exhaust :D )
While i had the pipe out and the filter box off, i noticed a lot of oil in that area of the engine. Cleaned off most with a towel (er indoors hasn't noticed it's missing yet) the highest wet point seemed to be a metal pipe (about 20mm dia) coming down from the turbo to the engine block . Jacked it up and confirmed today! Looking up it appears this pipe and another liitle one (about 6mm) go into the turbo with what may be a flange type plate!!! Anyone stripped all this off ???? Is it easy, and do i need a new pipe or a gasket set????
Any help would be appreciated, I'm a builder not a grease monkey, so it aint easy!!! :lol:
Alan
aldbuilder

Re: Oil leak from turbo pipe?

Postby Piglet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:50 pm

The 2 pipes you describe sound like the turbo oil supply and return. The supply is s small steel pipe coming from the oil cooler block where the filter screws on, the return is a larger short pipe which is joined by a rubber tube to the block.
Both these pipes are welded to a block with 2 bolt holes.
The block seals to the bottom of the turbo with a rubberised steel gasket, about 4 quid from memory, fiddly to get at though, the driveshaft is right in the way.
Also the gasket between the oil cooler block and the engine block might be leaking, mine was.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Part no. 1102444 2 quid on Ebay
I've no ides why it comes up as exhaust gasket.
Don't assume yours is the same as mine either, that would be too easy!
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby aldbuilder » Thu May 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks Guys. Put it on axle stands to get under and get a better look. As i crawled out from underneath i pulled on the N/S tyre for support. Lo & Behold found the sodding wheel was loose. not wheels nuts!!!! so booked it in local, garage has done N/S front wheel bearing, gasket on pies/flange under turbo and new fan belt, all for £220. Thought that was a decent price!!

Thanks again for your help, no doubt I will return soon with some other problem!!!
Alan
aldbuilder

Return to Transit Connect