*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

solar kits?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

solar kits?

Postby GuyT » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:49 pm

I have about 500 projects I want to get under way both van and other parts of life related but one is solar power. I want to buy a 'starter kit' so I can start to play with solar power, can anyone recommend anything?

I found the following on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECO-WORTHY-Pan ... lar+panels

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, recommendations.

I appreciate its a single 100 watt panel with 20Amp output but it will atleast help me start to understand charging and discharging of a battery etc and the realities of solar power.

Any input appreciated

cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: solar kits?

Postby mistericeman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Looks OK for starter...
I've got the same controller charging 3 x 100ah leisure batteries from 2 x 100w solar panels.
Charge controller is pwm type rather than mppt BUT as I understand it unless you are using some fairly hefty panels the losses are minimal....
That set up (along with a durite VSR means we never use hook up... Even though we are heavy users all our cooking being electric.
Most I've seen going into batteries on sunniest of summers day has been 10 amps (confirmed by NASA bm2 battery monitor)
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:35 pm

GuyT wrote:I have about 500 projects I want to get under way both van and other parts of life related but one is solar power. I want to buy a 'starter kit' so I can start to play with solar power, can anyone recommend anything?

I found the following on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECO-WORTHY-Pan ... lar+panels

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, recommendations.

I appreciate its a single 100 watt panel with 20Amp output but it will atleast help me start to understand charging and discharging of a battery etc and the realities of solar power.

Any input appreciated

cheers
I guess my first question would be what are you going to be powering?

It can be hard to know and easy to underestimate it but you sort of need to known, at least roughly, what your power consumption will be.

I've got a 160w polycrystalline panel and a 20amp mppt controller with a 140Ah battery that needs replacing pronto. Never got anywhere near 50% charge in over a year now but I run very little off it. Led lights, a stereo, USB chargers and an inverter I hardly ever use. I am in sunny Spain though.
2010 2.4L RWD 100ps MT75 LWB High Roof
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:06 am

Thanks for the input guys.

You answered 1 question for me mistericeman in regard to the 'actual' power charge/output going to the battery. I have an old car battery that I fully charge before 'departure' and it lasted all of around 2.5 hours running 2 x 12v LED lights!!!! The battery is not deep cycle and is also old and knackered hence taken out the car but made me open my eyes and not in a good way. I've read some of your stuff mistericeman and understand you run everything off battery.

As regards powering what daraioj. ..... Long term in an ideal world I'd like to look into a convection cooker top (something I saw on a really amazing US build) ..... I'm not sure we have enough sunlight though.

Right now I just want to see what 'power' can be achieved and put back into a battery etc. Run some tests and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:23 am

GuyT wrote:
Right now I just want to see what 'power' can be achieved and put back into a battery etc. Run some tests and see what happens.

Cheers

Just think about upscaling and whether or not you'd mind replacing the whole kit eventually.
I went for a decent charge controller I knew I could keep. Worst case scenario I would have had to add another panel but fortunately 160w turned out to be enough for me.
I know they're as expensive as the kit you're looking at but a better charger with data logging (about £90) might help you a lot at this testing stage.
2010 2.4L RWD 100ps MT75 LWB High Roof
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions