*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Low Oil Pressure Cologne V4 1.7 Mk1

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Low Oil Pressure Cologne V4 1.7 Mk1

Postby Ralph.9 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:49 am

You will need to replace the balance shaft bearings as this is the reason that the gears strip. The bearings wear allowing the balance shaft to move & the gears not to fully mesh together.
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DougT » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:05 am

As far as I can make out, there are only a few things that cause the problems with the plastic gear.

The most common on the Cologne V4 is, as Ralph says, wear in the balance shaft bearings, which is caused by overtightening of the fan belt. It really needs to be as loose as it can be while still maintaining drive to the water pump and alternator.

The second factor is age. They do seem to have a limited life.

And on the V6, which also has a plastic gear to drive the camshaft, sudden dumping of the clutch. Particularly on Capris.

So my thoughts are that, with the Transit V4 I think we can forget the third reason, then a new plastic gear will probably last you a good 20 years, and as you have been through the heartache, you will be very concious of the overtightening problem (which was probably caused by a previous owner anyway). So my thoughts are that you will be OK with the plastic gear and new balance shaft bearings.

Question for everyone - Any hints about getting the bearings out without removing the engine ?

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:08 am

Good to hear it was just the charging light and not the oil pressure light, hopefully with a new gear fitted you will be ok. :D
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Low Oil Pressure Cologne V4 1.7 Mk1

Postby bulls in transit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am

Have read on Saab 96/Sonnet forums that front balance shaft bearing can be changed with engine in situ., rear bearing I believe, is engine out due to its placement in engine and fact cover plug/disc needs to be re-sealed correctly after bearing change with sealant so you do not get oil leaking into bell housing.
In short from info gleaned, quick fix engine in with possibility of further problems from rear bearing/seal, proper job engine out.
In Ford manual its engine removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mntranny » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Which manual do you have that is specific to the Ford Cologne V4 engine and in English?
Where can I get a copy of it from?
mntranny

Postby Ralph.9 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:43 pm

The bearings are a shrink fit so you have to heat the block & yes its an engine out job.
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bulls in transit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:02 pm

mntranny wrote:Which manual do you have that is specific to the Ford Cologne V4 engine and in English?
Where can I get a copy of it from?

Manual I have is a copy of Ford Transit workshop manual for mainland europe, from motomobil in english, as far as I’m aware its the only manual that goes into specifics for all variants of the colongne v4 fitted into the early Transits. Even things like brake pipe unions/flex pipes are different due to them being all metric on european vans, Imperial on UK market ones.
Only got paper copy of complete manual, but can photo and post/message any relevant pages if req.(haven’t got pdf to send)

bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bulls in transit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 pm

Post from Saab forum regarding similar problem,same basic engine:-

I replaced a set on an engine in 1983 or so. The shaft had seized and stripped the fibre gear. The car was low mileage but uncared for. It had probably not had the oil checked at some point. The rest of the engine seemed healthy- in fact it was the quickest of the V4s I have driven (out of 7).

I did it by taking the engine out, removing the front cover (harder than you think with stripped gears...) and then used a matching socket to drift out both bearings. I used a similar approach to reseat the new ones- especially making sure they were orientated correctly for oil feed and that the lateral position matched the ones that I had removed.

Yes its easier in a machine shop with a press, but they aren't a tight fit, the block I had was chamfered on the seating faces, providing a good lead in and the bearings went in easily. Of course lubricant is essential.

Tightening up the pulley bolt and checking for correct movement before you put it back in the car is essential.

I made a particular effort to find all the remains of the fibre gears and then reassembled the car.

Not a perfect approach, but the car went on happily for many years afterwards. These bearings don't carry much load.

Good luck...!
Lee

bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bulls in transit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Link to whole thread:-
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68026

bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:55 am

Ralph.9 wrote:The bearings are a shrink fit so you have to heat the block & yes its an engine out job.

Or liquid nitrogen for the bearings
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous