*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil cooler gone?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Oil cooler gone?

Postby larstore » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 am

I have a 1999 2,5 turbo where the the coolant(in the expansion tank) is brown and oily. The dipstick is fine, no gunk anywhere and the van runs just fine.
I wonder if the oil cooler between the block and the filter can be the issue?

How can i verify if this is the issue without replacing it?
Anyone know where to get a replacement? I cannot seem to locate this part anywhere

Lars
larstore
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Oil cooler gone?

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi,Lars.
You can remove the cooling hoses from the oil
cooler, connect them with a tube and start the motor. If oil appears from the chutes for the supply and removal of coolant, the oil cooler should be replaced or removed.
For replacement, unscrew the oil filter and hexagon socket for 12 or 14 mm to unscrew the threaded fitting to install the oil filter, install a serviceable oil cooler and screw the threaded fitting into place.
If there is no serviceable oil cooler, you can remove it.
To do this, you need to have the oil filter fitting for the atmospheric engine, screw it into the cylinder block and install the oil filter.
The bridge between the cooling hoses remains in place.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby larstore » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:20 pm

cherniy_chack wrote:install a serviceable oil cooler and screw the threaded fitting into place.
If there is no serviceable oil cooler, you can remove it..

Not sure if i understand these sentences, what do you mean by "servicable oil cooler" ?
And, do you mean i can remove the existing without adding a new?
larstore
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MK3Di » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Hello guys,
i assume that the one oil cooler an water/oil is...and the other one an air/oil cooler is...
Greeting Heiko
1987, 2,5Di,early 4AB enggine,Mk3 Westfalia Nugget,cruise control,Power steering,airride with 15liter tank and compressor,auxiliary heater, keyless open,rimms 8J x14 ,235/60/14,5speed Mt75,intercooler RS ,IHI Turbo,oil cooler,and a lot more :mrgreen:
MK3Di

Postby twin wheel camper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:39 pm

larstore wrote:
cherniy_chack wrote:install a serviceable oil cooler and screw the threaded fitting into place.
If there is no serviceable oil cooler, you can remove it..

Not sure if i understand these sentences, what do you mean by "servicable oil cooler" ?
And, do you mean i can remove the existing without adding a new?

He means if you can get a good non leaking oil cooler just unscrew the old and refit the replacement “serviceable oil cooler” if you can’t get a replacement oil cooler you can remove the old leaking oil cooler and join the 2 hoses together to bypass the oil cooler and then you need to get a non turbo oil filter fitting and screw it onto your engine in place of the old oil cooler then you can fit your oil filter and problem solved (well not solved but it will keep you running anyway)
That’s my take on it anyway and that’s how I would get around this problem if I was in your situation.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby larstore » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 am

I see. I dont suppose anyone know where to look for a new oil cooler?
larstore
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 pm

twin wheel camper wrote:
He means if you can get a good non leaking oil cooler just unscrew the old and refit the replacement “serviceable oil cooler” if you can’t get a replacement oil cooler you can remove the old leaking oil cooler and join the 2 hoses together to bypass the oil cooler and then you need to get a non turbo oil filter fitting and screw it onto your engine in place of the old oil cooler then you can fit your oil filter and problem solved (well not solved but it will keep you running anyway)
That’s my take on it anyway and that’s how I would get around this problem if I was in your situation.

Yes!
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Testa Giallo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Same problem here. Have not found a replacement yet. Now I am looking for a remote oil cooler. I mean a small radiator beside the coolant radiator, fed by hoses from a sandwichplate below the oil filter. Does anyone know where to get such a sandwichplate?

TG.
Testa Giallo

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits