*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 Transit dormobile valuation

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Mk1 Transit dormobile valuation

Postby transitchris4 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:18 pm

I am looking for some help and advice regarding the valuation of my campervan. I was recently involved in an accident when an Iceland delivery van drove into the side of mine. The insurance company have valued it at a thousand pounds and this will be less 180 for salvage if I want to keep it. I have had the van six years or so and I have spent a lot of time and money on it. Much of the money has been for the mechanical side to include fitting a Transit "banana" diesel engine. replacement steering box, axle. drive shaft, brake master cylinder and work to the chassis and electrics and replacing the headlights Having got all this in shape I had started on the cosmetic side of things preparing and painting the panels. I still have a way to go but it was a fully functional road worthy vehicle that I have taken my children away in many times. I do not dispute that currently it does not look its best and inside I have still to refit parts but I feel 1000 pounds is nothing like what its value is. I would very much appreciate your views. It is a 1971 model and I have yet to see another conversion the same as mine.

Thank you for your help Chris
transitchris4

Re: Mk1 Transit dormobile valuation

Postby dumper » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:08 pm

If you are able to repair it yourself for less £800 it may be worth as you say mechanical side of van is sorted maybe worth thinking about also if you do buy it back for £180 it’s worth more then that to brake
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bulls in transit » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Road legal and driving would of thought it would be worth more, whats on ebay for £1000 and roadgoing?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-mk1-for ... 3354977512

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C990133

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:28 pm

They're having a laugh, there's no way to get a running driving van for £1000! You would be lucky to get a project needing £5k spent for that money.
Collect examples for sale (mk1s and anything semi similar) and present them as evidence of value.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:59 am

put a pic up of the damage lets have a look,, also mk 1 s should be on agreed value insurance for this reason all your upgrades only give insurance companys get out of jail cards if they inspect it and find it different you be lucky to get anything
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby transitchris4 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:45 am

THESE ARE PICTURES THAT i HAVE TAKEN AT DIFFERENT TIMES INCLUDING THE DAMAGE ON THE DAY OF THE CRASH, tY IS A WORK IN PROGRESS AND THE NEXT JON WAS TO REPAIR AND MAKE GOOD ANY PANELS IN NEED OF ATTENTION. iT IS THOUGH FULLY FUNCTIONING AS A CAMPER VAN AND i REGULARLY TAKE MY KIDS CAMPING IN IT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
transitchris4

Postby bulls in transit » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Think when it comes to valuation with the insurance company, although you were getting round to the body cosmetics, the accident damage also shows to their asesor the amount of work its already had ‘cosmetically’ under the pre accident panels, there way of thinking/ pricing thats a whole side of panels +prep and paint you need there, most newer car would be right offs.
Arguing value will be a game of ping pong with what the accident has exposed, wouldn’t like to say who will win the point.

bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Neil » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:43 pm

the insurance will win,, agreed value is the only way to get the price its worth,,, on the plus side if they write it off then you could buy it back for a small price
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jonochap » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 pm

How much was it insured for with your own insurers?

Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby transitchris4 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:09 pm

I insured it nominally at £2000
transitchris4

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:59 am

Are you getting anywhere? Have you provided them with examples of sale prices of similar vehicles? You could always add a few VW combis to the mix of taxed and tested campers to show what good value paying you out a sensible amount would be to put you back in the position you would be pre accident.
Make sure you agree to retain salvage don't get it taken away under any circumstances or it's next stop Pakistan if it even gets as far as CoPart and you can guarantee once they've shifted it on the forklift a few times there's going to be a whole lot more damage wants repairing.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 1 & 2