*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Upgrade or replace

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Upgrade or replace

Postby GuyT » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:50 pm

This will be long so if you have the time I’ll appreciate feedback.

I have a swb/lr 2011 with 92k on the clock now. I bought it almost 2 years ago with 83 and paid £5250. The van was ex rental so I rented it and my mechanic checked it and it seemed fine, Ive had 2 years of trouble free motoring and long may it continue.

The van was bought as a box van and I was/am converting to a day van. The back is insulated, lights fitted, the ply walls have been carpeted and we have stayed away in the van a few nights, its basic but great. I have side and rear ‘windowed’ doors fitted/to fit for more of a camper style BUT it is also my work van and so it is designed in a modular way and it works really well, load it with crap, empty, hoover, roll the carpet back in and the bed and off for a weekend camping.

I’m now at the stage of wanting to add an extra row of seats and an offside window. To have this done professionally is realistically going to cost the best part of £1500+, I’m thinking more like £1750 once its done...... if I’m going to do that then I will want to start other works, tune up, maybe a body kit and I’d love some alloys to make it more of a fun and ‘cool’ van for the kids - will it ever be cool???? But I don’t have £20k for a VW transporter so.....

The question is do I simply replace the van with a van already having a second row of seats already installed and a window ‘in’ the offside? One thought is that factory fitted seats wont be easily removed for when it is only 2 of us for a weekend away or I need the full van space for work - where as the retro fit seats are quick release and it does look pretty quick release. Removing the bulkhead from a factory fitted seats van would be no different to a standard van I don’t imagine so thats not a problem.

My question is what is best to do. I’m inclined to upgrade my van as I know the history and it has been super reliable, Ive never had a problem but I look on Autotrader and seem similar age vans with similar mileage and I think it could possibly be cheaper to replace the van.

I am quite sure a host of other thoughts will come to mind once I ‘post’ this but any thoughts would be appreciated. I think its probably best to stick and upgrade (and thinking how long it took me to do some of the wiring and carpeting I’m thinking stick but..) what are your thoughts?
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Upgrade or replace

Postby GuyT » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Can someone move this to campervans and conversions please. I managed to post in the wrong forum and cant work out how to move it, sorry
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hughesyn » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:51 pm

GuyT wrote: One thought is that factory fitted seats wont be easily removed for when it is only 2 of us for a weekend away or I need the full van space for work - where as the retro fit seats are quick release and it does look pretty quick release.

In my Mk8 DCIV, the second row seats are quick release. Don't know about earlier models.
I've got 3 seats across, which is all one piece. It's quite heavy, needs two people to remove. Would be a lot easier with both sliding doors, unfortunately I forgot to order the driver's side one.
The 4 seat across option is two pieces I think, which would be a lot easier to remove.
That would be ideal for a conversion, because you could remove two seats and have a 5 seater with easy access into the back.

An advantage of the factory DCIV is no insurance issues.
2023 Mk8 DCIV 170 auto L3H2
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:56 pm

GuyT wrote:Can someone move this to campervans and conversions please. I managed to post in the wrong forum and cant work out how to move it, sorry

Done 8)

It's best to report the post if you want it moving, editing, or deleting, or PM a moderator with a link, as the mods don't always see and read every post :wink:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby GuyT » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback Hughesyn...... I’m thinking its likely to be replacement following a conversation.

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions