*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New transit vans

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

New transit vans

Postby muddycampers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Hello ..... I have a 1986 autosleeper frisky transit ... which I love and am trying to keep on the road
I also have a vw car that I would like to replace with a 6 seater transit but have no idea where to start. I can't afford new and to be honest I don't really like new vans ....
I am scared of buying a rust bucket as i nearly did last week but luckily it was close enough to my garage to have a look at it for me.
It seems Ford are reliably rusty .... but are there any years where the bodywork was more reliable than others .... I came across two from 2008 and both were not good.
I am faithful to Ford but to be honest if anyone on here wants to be unfaithful and recommend any types of van in particular or give me feedback on any that would be great!!
muddycampers
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: New transit vans

Postby twin wheel camper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 pm

Anything 10 years and older really needs a VERY close check over by someone who has experience with transit rust.And even newer poorly looked after can also suffer from tin work. So if your not confident bring someone who really no’s there stuff to save a major headache :wink:
Over 3 years ago I was talking to a man who said to me he had to patch the chassis on his 2009 transit for mot and it was only 5 years old :roll:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jpe70 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Transits do rust, but mk6 forward has nothing on M-B Sprinter in that regard. You can't look at a 10 yo Sprinter without it developing new spots.

Trafic platform is "rust free" but have other mechanical issues but it's a recommended replacement.

I bought my 08 Sportvan this autumn and it has a few spots. Mostly beneath the plastic parts starting to show and some surface rust in the rear back belows. But, having coped with two Sprinters that just shrugged silly amount of rust it seemed trivial...

Skickat från min G8441 via Tapatalk
jpe70

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:38 am

Turkey = not as rusty
Southampton =rusty fookers

It says in the vin where dat van woz bult boss
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 am

My mk6 jumbo was from turkey got it at two and half years old sold it at 12 years old all it ever had body Wise apart from stone chips was two front wings mine you I did waxoil it every year
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby muddycampers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Can you explain turkey and southhampton to me ... new to this so any abbreviations or curious answers need explanations ... thankyou
muddycampers
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Some transits are made in Southampton (Britain)others are built in turkey, apparently the vans built in turkey don’t rust as bad.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ned » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:49 pm

On the vin there will be XX followed by TT for Turkey build plant or DB for Southampton build plant :wink: or if you go for a slightly older mk6 you want to look out for GB which is Genk Belgium build plant and seem to be the least rusty of all :D
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Milemuncher » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm

twin wheel camper wrote:Anything 10 years and older really needs a VERY close check over by someone who has experience with transit rust.And even newer poorly looked after can also suffer from tin work. So if your not confident bring someone who really no’s there stuff to save a major headache :wink:
Over 3 years ago I was talking to a man who said to me he had to patch the chassis on his 2009 transit for mot and it was only 5 years old :roll:

I had a 2005 mk6 camper-van from new, waxoyled everywhere. Not neglected - washed underneath & arches all the time as I always try to do. Still needed body repairs before it was 5 years old, new sills and the vertical joints between the back panels were bubbling badly. All fixed under warranty by the dealer who'd serviced it thank goodness. They guessed the shell wasn't painted properly when built, possibly due to ordering a metallic colour, but who knows.

Wonder if I'm the only person ever to benefit from the anti-perforation warranty on a Transit ?

Anyway its replacement was white, now 7 years old still gleaming and not even a rust spot anywhere. But isn't a Ford lol.
Milemuncher
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions