*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Does anyone have a MK3 Transit Travelhome?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Does anyone have a MK3 Transit Travelhome?

Postby thesmiths88 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:03 pm

I have just bought a 1989 Ford Transit Travelhome motorhome. On the logbook it says Transit 120 as vehicle type (I need to change it with DVLA to motor caravan, which is fine). The GVW of this states 2570kg which is also on the VIN plate. Does this sound right? Does anyone else have a Travelhome motorhome with that weight on?

My husband is concerned that actually its weight is more like 3500kg and wants me to get it weighed at a weighbridge.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

I have called SV Tech who said that they would possibly be able to uprate it but not to 3500kg (even though I have seen lots of my type of motorhome with 3500kg ratings).

I guess I need to get it weighed before I do anything else, but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this too?

Thanks!
thesmiths88

Re: Does anyone have a MK3 Transit Travelhome?

Postby hectors-tranny » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:57 pm

2570kg sounds very low for GVW (maximum permissible weight of vehicle plus load).

Are you sure that's not the empty vehicle (Kerb) weight?

Yes I would weighbridge it. Quick and cheap to do anyway.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby straydog » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:43 pm

AS Hector says.
Get it weighed, dead easy to do, and should only cost about a tenner.
I had my Jumbo Transit Mk7 weighed just a couple of weeks ago
It came in at 3.15ton fully loaded with full tanks.

HTH
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby debzeeo1966 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:11 pm

thesmiths88 wrote:I have just bought a 1989 Ford Transit Travelhome motorhome. On the logbook it says Transit 120 as vehicle type (I need to change it with DVLA to motor caravan, which is fine). The GVW of this states 2570kg which is also on the VIN plate. Does this sound right? Does anyone else have a Travelhome motorhome with that weight on?

My husband is concerned that actually its weight is more like 3500kg and wants me to get it weighed at a weighbridge.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

I have called SV Tech who said that they would possibly be able to uprate it but not to 3500kg (even though I have seen lots of my type of motorhome with 3500kg ratings).

I guess I need to get it weighed before I do anything else, but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this too?

Thanks!

Hi , I live in new zealand and we own a 1990 ford 120 travelhome,and yes the weight is when empty: However on NZ roads 3.5 ton is when we have to pay more(which does not apply to us) as our maximum on our travelhome is set at 3500(which we never get to). We love our travelhome,we been everywhere on it...easy to park in towns etc.(in nz anything longer than 7 metres cannot stop in towns,so our campy is just like a car to park up). We had a 6.5 rosa bus,but found it hard to park in towns etc,so we downsized to our travelhome. We love it! abit hard here in NZ to get parts though.....GOOD LUCK,AND HAPPY TRAVELS! Our campy dont go fast,but hey you on holiday,and my partner gets to see the scenary tooo....lol
debzeeo1966

Postby Motorhome-Les » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi, I've got one of these, he's a 1993 2.5D with power steering (I posted an introduction about him a few weeks ago).
Is this the type of travelhome that you mean ?

Rgds Les
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Motorhome-Les

Return to Camper vans and conversions