*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

rear view camera (live stream to the front)

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

rear view camera (live stream to the front)

Postby TT103551 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:55 am

Looking to fit a monitor (Preferably mirror shaped) in the location of the rear view mirror with a live stream from a camera at the rear
Been looking on eBay and Amazon with hundreds of options from £25 to £295
Not wanting to spend money on something that doesn't do the job

Any pointers to the best option??

Many thanks
Jon
TT103551

Re: rear view camera (live stream to the front)

Postby wild camper » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Hello
I’ve just purchased eBay item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123665209554
It’s a twin camera, 4 pin, hard wired kit
I haven’t fitted it yet but it looks reasonable quality
My comments so far
Although the advert is for a 7” dash mounted square monitor I emailed the seller and they swopped the monitor to a clip on interior mirror monitor FOC
Ordered 10March,delivered 16March from China at a very competitive price, not bad!
Very poor wiring diagram
Inline glass fuse on live feed, I’ve just been advised by Loot that it’s rated 2A so it should be able to be connected to most ignition controlled live feeds
The company is “Iposter”, check “sellers other items”, they have a vast selection of cameras/monitor/ hard wired and wireless
My van is in for service and my eyesight is preventing me from installing it yet
I’ll post my experience of the installation when I’ve done it
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kgogarty » Wed May 01, 2019 12:14 pm

wild camper How did this work out for you. Looking at the same myself.

The question I have is, do the connectors come off the cables to get them through a grommet/ seal of do the connectors have to pass through the same hole?
Kgogarty

Postby wild camper » Thu May 09, 2019 2:13 am

Hello Kgogarty
I took the ignition controlled feed using a piggyback from the “passenger compartment fuse panel” ( the one under the dash to the left of the steering column),
I had a right faff to get the correct size fuse and piggyback, and I’m sorry but I’ve forgotten the correct name
It’ll be on one of my recent posts
I think the 4 pin system is best because it carries the power feed to both cameras
I took the4 pin cable up from the mirror monitor through the centre of the head lining and into the load bay
I’ve removed the bulkhead so it was a lot easier going that route
I didn’t like the appearance of the 2 squarish cameras and it was difficult to find a position on the back doors , I couldn’t fit them above the doors because of low clearance into my garage
I eventually bought another 4 pin side view camera that gives an excellent “rear view mirror “ effect, I’ve spray painted it to match my “ moon dust silver” bodywork
On another issue about getting a cable through the firewall in/from the engine bay, I used the grommet around the clutch cable, I had to remove the air filter box, but that’s comparatively easy
On my harness for a light bar there was a connecting block which had to be stripped down to go through the grommet, a helpful forum member saw my photo of it and explained how it’s possible to push out the “mini spade terminals” and put them back again ( draw a sketch of the position of the coloured wires first)
Again, the detail will be on one of my posts
Sorry I’m not computer savvy enough to attach a link to those posts
Good luck with your installation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wild camper » Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 am

The tip about breaking down a terminal block to go through the firewall
Search “Penetrate the firewall”
Credit should go to Chrisp74
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby greenhat7 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Bought OEM part just because I feel like it's really made for transit. This is the product https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/ ... 490-d.html. What you can do is connect it to your screen if you want to take a look at your front all the time but in my case, I prefer a cam that I can flip since we like taking videos while traveling and we just flip the cam so instead of recording the street, it is our face who we can see on the monitor.
greenhat7

Return to Customising and one offs