*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Need codes read.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Need codes read.

Postby Roger the Cabinboy » Fri May 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi, I have a 1999 (Reg 2000) MK5 Smiley Motorhome with the 2.5 turbo and EPIC system. It has only done 59000 miles.

I have been viewing the forum and absorbing the great info that is here for a while - but now I have a problem!

The engine management light came on a few days ago and is there every time it is started. It still runs but "hunts" for the first few seconds or so plus some visible blue smoke and then settles to a fast tickover.

I fitted a new timing belt/water pump December 2017 and convinced myself that the pump timing must have slipped but on getting the cover off this morning all is still spot on.

On such a low mileage engine I am reluctant to change out the whole injector system for Bosch manual if it is just a sensor gone AWOL.

However, I am struggling to find anywhere nearby with an EPIC code reader (I am based in Kidderminster Worcestershire) Do you know of anywhere please?

thanks
Roger
Roger the Cabinboy

Re: Need codes read.

Postby MinorMatt » Fri May 10, 2019 3:50 pm

I could be persuaded to divert on the way home on Weds evening?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Fri May 10, 2019 5:21 pm

MinorMatt wrote:I could be persuaded to divert on the way home on Weds evening?

Cake, or biscuits, or both :?: :P :lol: :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Roger the Cabinboy » Fri May 10, 2019 6:37 pm

MinorMatt wrote:I could be persuaded to divert on the way home on Weds evening?

Dohh!!!

I am not available Tues/Wed/Thurs/Friday evening - semi retired but a little extra income keeps all the toys happy!

Tea/coffee/biscuits/cake and perhaps a beer (to take away :mrgreen: ) available...

R
Roger the Cabinboy

Postby MinorMatt » Fri May 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Transitmania next weekend (santa pod). Could plug you in then or on the way back on Monday...
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Riggard » Fri May 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Or buy a cable of ebay and use forscan... I placed a topic somewhere on this forum to explain how to do it.
Riggard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Roger the Cabinboy » Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks guys - you are Ace!

I had shied away from the ELM and software after a bad experience with some Renault software a while ago. (Partition Computer, install windows XP, dire warnings from Norton and it never worked).

I have now ordered the modified ELM from Universal Diagnostics (Ebay shop). It should be here Wednesday and then I can find out what is amiss - ! might be back

Thanks R
Roger the Cabinboy

Postby BailingBen » Sun May 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Hello Roger,

Did it work for you in the end?

I am thinking about ordering this cable:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-USB-O ... SwWUNc57Xf

It has lots of technical data in the description but I have no idea what any of it means! If someone could let me know if this is the right cable I would really appreciate it, my transit is plagued with a a random stopping issue soon (5/10/15 mins) after start up and I haven't the foggiest what could be causing it.

Cheers,
Ben
BailingBen

Postby Riggard » Tue May 28, 2019 7:10 pm

BailingBen wrote:Hello Roger,

Did it work for you in the end?

I am thinking about ordering this cable:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-USB-O ... SwWUNc57Xf

It has lots of technical data in the description but I have no idea what any of it means! If someone could let me know if this is the right cable I would really appreciate it, my transit is plagued with a a random stopping issue soon (5/10/15 mins) after start up and I haven't the foggiest what could be causing it.

Cheers,
Ben

Looks a lot like the one I have and that one works ;)
Riggard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Illi1981 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:27 am

Hello guys, is there any news on this topic? I bought an obd link adapter, but I have no communication. In other forums it should have worked. I heard that it should go with the engine running. I do not know if that's true.
Illi1981
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Roger the Cabinboy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:55 pm

I have been meaning to get back with a BIG THANK YOU for all your help.

I ordered the ELM with switch from the ebay supplier Universal Diagnostics (very quick service) and downloaded Forscan. Nineteen codes! Some silly ones like "over voltage" because I used a trickle charger but the main focus was the EGR. I had blocked off the EGR because of black smoke and it ran far better for over a year. I understood that it shouldn't put the engine light on and it didn't for all that time :roll: Anyway, I removed the blanking plate and gave the EGR a really good clean and voila! Actually the EGR codes seemed to be still there but the engine light went out and it got through its MOT which was the target.

I plan to have the motorhome for years to come and it is nice to know that this fountain of knowledge is around to support older vehicles.
Roger the Cabinboy

Postby Riggard » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Roger the Cabinboy wrote:I have been meaning to get back with a BIG THANK YOU for all your help.

I ordered the ELM with switch from the ebay supplier Universal Diagnostics (very quick service) and downloaded Forscan. Nineteen codes! Some silly ones like "over voltage" because I used a trickle charger but the main focus was the EGR. I had blocked off the EGR because of black smoke and it ran far better for over a year. I understood that it shouldn't put the engine light on and it didn't for all that time :roll: Anyway, I removed the blanking plate and gave the EGR a really good clean and voila! Actually the EGR codes seemed to be still there but the engine light went out and it got through its MOT which was the target.

I plan to have the motorhome for years to come and it is nice to know that this fountain of knowledge is around to support older vehicles.

Good to hear! seems we have an alternative to the (really) expensive lucas laser tool then ;)

Illi1981 wrote:Hello guys, is there any news on this topic? I bought an obd link adapter, but I have no communication. In other forums it should have worked. I heard that it should go with the engine running. I do not know if that's true.

You need a special cable modified for fords (such as mentioned above), with that cable you should be able to read codes with ignition on, but motor off.
Riggard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Illi1981 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 am

Can you give the "Link" to the ELM on Ebay oder a Photo ? Thank You!!
Illi1981
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Riggard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Riggard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rolo.m » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:30 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Modified ... 2749.l2649 This did not work-mine is a ford transit swb80TD diesel automatic mk5
12:02:04:908 it says connection to adapter has been establiched COM3 then 12:02:04:908 adapter ELM327 v 1.5 and lastly 12:02:06:264 unable to connect to vehicle please try and turn the ignition on
The ignition was on
rolo.m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits