*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Essex V6 into Mk2

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Essex V6 into Mk2

Postby cortinae » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:06 pm

What parts do i need to look out for to do this conversion engine mounts ect currently DI cheers Paul
cortinae

Re: Essex V6 into Mk2

Postby dumper » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:48 am

Look out for x ambulance they had a v6 and a lot of them had LSD axle
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cider Andy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:59 am

I did this conversion in reverse, on a 1982 Hanlon ambulance. Now you'll have to excuse my memory because it was 27 years ago, but I'll tell you what I can remember!

I bought a donor van and started off with a factory V6 Essex so I didn't have to find the parts individually back then, I had everything I needed.

I can't remember if the bellhousings were the same but the gearboxes definitely were and I think the gearbox mounting/crossmember was the same (as I don't remember changing it). This was a 4-speed box I'm talking about. It dropped in in the same position, had the same tailshaft and used the same propshaft.

I didn't change the fuel tank but I did have to change the pickup/sender unit as one had a return and the other didn't. Otherwise they looked identical. Fuel lines are, of course, different.

Engine wiring loom obviously had to be changed but there was a common connector somewhere near the bulkhead. It would have been plug and play although I made a hybrid loom out of mine as the ambulance had a two battery set-up and a higher output alternator (with different connectors). The only wiring difference otherwise was the diesel (a 2.4 York, not a 2.5Di York) had a stop/start solenoid that used a spare wire on the ignition switch (that becomes live at key position 0).

Radiator was the same, as far as I remember.

Exhaust system was different, front-to-back but the hangers on the body were in the same positions.

What I can't remember - and one thing you're sure to want to know - is the engine mountings. As far as I recall, the rubber isolators were the same but obviously I retained whatever mountings were on the block. What I do know though is one of my neighbours dropped an Essex out of a Capri into a Mk1 2.4 York Transit and did it with factory parts, so maybe the Capri mountings will work?

Other snippets I remember: the guy from the ambulance service told me the factory V6 was a low compression motor from South Africa, which they fitted as standard out there. He said they never had to change the nylon timing gears in the low compression engines, even after 200,000 miles. Also, it came with the same FoMoCo carburettor they put on the Cortinas at the time (the pre-1980 manual choke one that worked, not that awful VV abomination that replaced it). I was surprised it didn't have a Weber 32/36 DGV or 32/36 DGAV on it, like the Capri.

Lastly, that Essex engine/gearbox ended up going to a scrap man. Back in 1992 I literally couldn't give it away, never mind sell it, absolutely nobody was interested! Different story today, mind....
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:21 am

Cider Andy wrote:I did this conversion in reverse, on a 1982 Hanlon ambulance. Now you'll have to excuse my memory because it was 27 years ago, but I'll tell you what I can remember!

I bought a donor van and started off with a factory V6 Essex so I didn't have to find the parts individually back then, I had everything I needed.

I can't remember if the bellhousings were the same but the gearboxes definitely were and I think the gearbox mounting/crossmember was the same (as I don't remember changing it). This was a 4-speed box I'm talking about. It dropped in in the same position, had the same tailshaft and used the same propshaft.

I didn't change the fuel tank but I did have to change the pickup/sender unit as one had a return and the other didn't. Otherwise they looked identical. Fuel lines are, of course, different.

Engine wiring loom obviously had to be changed but there was a common connector somewhere near the bulkhead. It would have been plug and play although I made a hybrid loom out of mine as the ambulance had a two battery set-up and a higher output alternator (with different connectors). The only wiring difference otherwise was the diesel (a 2.4 York, not a 2.5Di York) had a stop/start solenoid that used a spare wire on the ignition switch (that becomes live at key position 0).

Radiator was the same, as far as I remember.

Exhaust system was different, front-to-back but the hangers on the body were in the same positions.

What I can't remember - and one thing you're sure to want to know - is the engine mountings. As far as I recall, the rubber isolators were the same but obviously I retained whatever mountings were on the block. What I do know though is one of my neighbours dropped an Essex out of a Capri into a Mk1 2.4 York Transit and did it with factory parts, so maybe the Capri mountings will work?

Other snippets I remember: the guy from the ambulance service told me the factory V6 was a low compression motor from South Africa, which they fitted as standard out there. He said they never had to change the nylon timing gears in the low compression engines, even after 200,000 miles. Also, it came with the same FoMoCo carburettor they put on the Cortinas at the time (the pre-1980 manual choke one that worked, not that awful VV abomination that replaced it). I was surprised it didn't have a Weber 32/36 DGV or 32/36 DGAV on it, like the Capri.

Lastly, that Essex engine/gearbox ended up going to a scrap man. Back in 1992 I literally couldn't give it away, never mind sell it, absolutely nobody was interested! Different story today, mind....

27 years ago Andy,you must have done it when you were 3 :lol: :P
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cider Andy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:29 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:27 years ago Andy,you must have done it when you were 3 :lol: :P

Christ, I wish! I know it's early but if you think I was older then than the number of years ago it was..... :shock: :( :mrgreen:
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 1 & 2