*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Eberspacher repairs and misc bits n' bobs (a few pics)

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Postby MrMPuk » Tue May 15, 2007 6:17 pm

This is the best site I've found for screens, they are the UK dealer for Lilliput.

http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/

They do have some cameras as well.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby moojuice » Tue May 15, 2007 10:08 pm

My Camera, screen and head unit are all Alpine.

The monitor is a TME-M710, 6.5 inch widescreen and has 2 x composite video and 2 x phono audio inputs that go into a seperate control box. There is only 1 cable that feeds the screen with all the signals + power for the screen. The bracket sticks directly to the windscreen and the screen can easily detatch so the thieving buggers dont get their hands on it.

Accepts NTSC and PAL signals, has a built in speaker, is compatible with Alpine's sat nav systems. Have a look at the PDF manual for the screen on their website too for more info on the control box for the screen.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/typo3/index.php?id=tme-m710&L=16

The camera is quite amasing (HCE-C100) - using a fish eye type lense it can see a very wide angle around the back of the van although it does give a slightly misleading perspective of distance - although it doesnt really matter if youre still using your wing mirrors too. Another nifty thing it does is automatically flips the image, so whats on the screen is what a real mirror would show. Note though - its output is NTSC only - so the screen you use to view it on must be able to understand the american NTSC colour signal.

Incidentally the output from the camera is a 16:9 widescreen image and not the conventional, so it looks even better on the screen I have.

The camera also works bloody well in the dark too - the reverse tail lights are enough to see any obsticles on screen. The image does get a bit grainy in the dark - to be expected - but I couldnt fault it.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/typo3/index.php?id=camera&L=16

The head unit is also very good - plays DVD video discs and can also use a DVD filled with MP3 music - so you dont need to use an autochanger. It also has an ipod lead and can control an ipod via the head unit display. Also has an aux sound input (using a phono adaptor lead) so an external source like a playstation or a freeview box audio can be played through it.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/typo3/index.php?id=dva-9861ri&L=16

All this came from my local Sextons branch, but I know it can be had cheaper online no doubt. As for wiring it all up - did all that myself with a few minor alterations.

The camera is traditionally powered from the reverse light, but I didnt want it like that so I have run it off a seperate supply and mounted a new switch to the dash to power it. The screen hooks off the power from the stereo quite happily and cuts out when the ignition is off. There is also a parking break sensor lead on the screen - and as there is no electrical signal from a transit handbreak that I could see - it gets attached to ground to ensure the screen is always on (has a standby switch on the front of the screen too).

So yeah - its the dogs :)
moojuice
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby silverspur » Wed May 16, 2007 6:25 pm

Thanks for the replies lads. Interesting links, I will have to take a carefull look at them all. I quite like the roof mount jobies in MrMPuk's link, they are cheaper than I was looking at. The FM transmission for the sound to your stereo is a neat idea. I'm going to end probably with about a 6 inch in the front for the camera, and a 10 inch in the back.

So thanks again guys, both links will be usefull. When I was in the TV trade, the American NTSC system was known as "Never The Same Colour twice", as it is far inferior to PAL in that transmission noise throws the colour away from what it really should be.

Alan
silverspur
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby moojuice » Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 pm

silverspur wrote:When I was in the TV trade, the American NTSC system was known as "Never The Same Colour twice", as it is far inferior to PAL in that transmission noise throws the colour away from what it really should be.

Never Twice the Same Colour indeed - I too have seen the difference! Also DAB - Death to Audio Broadcasting, especially when broadcasters think 96kbps mono is suitable for transmitting a radio station on, then have the cheek to call it high quality! Long live FM (and AM!).
moojuice
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cooter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:48 pm

I think I've pmed you this but wasn't sure my pc was working correctly so here goes,

Hi moojuice, sorry to trouble you but...................

your post has just come up on a desperate Google search! I'm trying desperately to understand how my calorifier works in my ex BT van (now camper). I've had it (rather loudly) working while the engine isn't running and the water has only come out luke warm after an hours heating according to the clock timer. Driving 200 miles to Glastonbury festival heated the water up very nicely but it was back to cold within a day and half. I also have no idea what I'm actually doing with the little black clock control timer thing in the cab (identical to yours). No idea how to set time, timer etc

You also mention sevicing, some of my pipes underneath are well worn and I believe the whole unit hasn't seen a service for a good few years so I'm surprised its working at all! Who and where are the servicers!?

As my transit is now a camper is there a solution to how many times this little tank/boiler needs to be topped up with water, its so small!

I'm actually thinking about ripping the whole lot out and putting something a little more standard in re water tank/heater etc.

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give me.

Coot
Always smileying!
Cooter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Serpens » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:57 pm

hey,

you can find instructions for it here

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17264

or in the mk5 section.

I do beleive that you have to drive around for about 20 minutes to heat up the water for the hand sink, as the heater its seld only heats the cooling system ect....

hope this helps
When this baby hits 88mph were gonna see some serious sh*t!

1996 mk5 transit
Go the mighty Ex-Bt spec
No their not mini stripes, their ford gt-stripes
Serpens
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cooter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:49 pm

Thanks so much for that, solved 6 months of mystery and frustration!
Always smileying!
Cooter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby moojuice » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:15 pm

I can confirm that its the engine that gets the calorifier hot - the eberspacher just heats up the heater matrix for cab heating and possibly the engine block too.

As for servicing- look at http://www.eberspacher.com/ and they list dealers there for all around the UK. My local dealer (Kreuger, portsmouth) quoted me high prices for labor and parts - so I decided to go DIY. Up to you though.[/url]
moojuice
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Guy88 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:52 pm

can you post up which pipes go where on the tank. ours dont get hot :( :(
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby moojuice » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:01 pm

Tomorrow I'll try and post a few pics and a drawing of what goes where for you ;)
moojuice
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cooter » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:04 pm

Guy88 wrote:can you post up which pipes go where on the tank. ours dont get hot :( :(

And to add to that, how hot should the water become if the system is turned on manually rather than heating from the running engine? My water comes out very luke warm after an hours heating.
Always smileying!
Cooter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MrMPuk » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Cooter wrote:
Guy88 wrote:can you post up which pipes go where on the tank. ours dont get hot :( :(

And to add to that, how hot should the water become if the system is turned on manually rather than heating from the running engine? My water comes out very luke warm after an hours heating.

According to what moojuice says above the hot water is only heated by the engine.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cooter » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:10 pm

Thats strange because my water came out definetly warmer than it went in after an hour of non-engine running heating, if you know what I mean!
Always smileying!
Cooter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Guy88 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:22 pm

the heater warms the coolant and the internal pump is enough to circulate it around the heater and the tank :wink:
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby Cooter » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Ok, forgive my naivety, so if the system is activated manually without the engine running then to heat the water properly the internal van heater needs to be on as well, yes?

:?

And if so, how is this going to effect battery performance if its on for an hour where its impossible to have the engine running, say on a quiet campsite?

:?
Always smileying!
Cooter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!