*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1995 Transit SWB High Roof 2.6t cargo 2.5 Di

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: 1995 Transit SWB High Roof 2.6t cargo 2.5 Di

Postby hetman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:06 pm

Day 8. I decided to forego the opportunity to replace the oil pan gasket and possibly repair the leaky gasket to the fuel pump and/or replace it altogether, according to the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and also my own time constraints and unwillingness to try to correct all the problems with this van at this point. Though I hate these oil leaks, and also because I can't imagine how to even access some of these items - such as the fuel pump - after I've bolted everything together again, I also cannot be without a working van any longer. I bought it to use it, not to immediately perform a 100 point concurs winning show van restoration. I'm a bit frustrated that I will in fact have to restore, replace or otherwise fix every single aspect of this vehicle. Anyway, moving forward, I also decided not to even try to unbolt those exhaust manifold bolts which are virtually inaccessible in favor of attempting to angle the transmission back up and into place, just the way I removed it. Fortunately my 12-year old son was able to spare some time from his school work :lol: and helped me by operating the jack while I lay underneath in all sorts of contorted positions in the monumental effort to get the transmission back into place, which I was finally able to achieve with 4 assists from my son. So, the transmission is back in place as of an hour ago but not bolted in due to the onset of twilight. I figure it should be a cinch to get the van on the road next time I have some time. I had no trouble centering the clutch and attaching all the bolts to the flywheel and clutch assembly. A few days ago I had to spend 20 minutes or so hammering and pounding on that metal plate separating the engine block from the bell housing, but now it's straight and fits snug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Riggard » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Nice job and great pictures, fun to watch... I should change my clutch sometime as well, and this will definitely be of help!
Riggard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hetman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:51 am

Riggard wrote:Nice job and great pictures, fun to watch... I should change my clutch sometime as well, and this will definitely be of help!

Thank you, kind sir, for your gracious words of support. Just what I needed! I am also very happy that others are able to benefit from my experiences.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:09 am

Two days ago I had a few hours to spare, and did my best to finish up the job, but failed to fit the gear shift lever and starter motor. So before making a gallant and hopefully final attempt in a few minutes to finish up this job (the weather, though sunny, has now dipped deeply into sub-freezing temps), I shall post a few pictures from Wednesday's work. I believe I haven't cursed so profusely in a while.....LOL. Mainly trying to gain access to the bellhousing bolts to tighten them down. Next time I will invest in a big lift. So, everything went pretty smoothly until at the end of the day I was searching for the end of the backup light wire to plug into the transmission, and finally found it, wedged in between the bellhousing of the transmission. Super. It must have fallen out of position while I was maneuvering the transmission into position last weekend, but I failed to notice it then. Looking up through the access hole on the bellhousing, I located it sitting atop the flywheel, and I'm not sure if it's even contacting the teeth of the flywheel. But I decided to leave it for now. It would be possible to cut the wire and attach another electrical fitting to get the backup light to work, but I am quite disinclined to repeat this whole process at this juncture in my life. C'est la vie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:59 am

If it’s not the oil pressure switch has you engine got preheat for cold weather county’s it maybe the sensor for that
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hetman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:56 pm

dumper wrote:If it’s not the oil pressure switch has you engine got preheat for cold weather county’s it maybe the sensor for that

Again, my unfamiliarity with this model and engine do not help me. Thanks for the response. I have an oil pressure warning light that comes on in the gauges every time I switch on the ignition, so I imagine that this sensor is not for oil pressure.

Dumper, please stay tuned for my next post: a problem I have encountered.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:05 pm

So, today I bolted on the starter, the battery leads and the shift lever. And attached the clutch cable and adjusted it to nearly taut, and it seems to operate in some fashion. Please bear in mind that I have never done a clutch replacement before by myself, so I am not sure what to expect. So, I started the engine and it seems to rattle away as it did before, but the flywheel and clutch assembly are moving too (rotating), along with the driveshaft and rear wheels (both in the forward direction). I grabbed one wheel and the other kept turning, faster even. I got under the van and put my hand on the driveshaft but it spun without slowing down. As if the gearbox were in 1st gear!! How is this possible? The shifter is in the neutral position, and I cannot engage any gear. What mistake have I made? Is it possible to reattach the gear shifter in the wrong position - so that it's indicating neutral position but the transmission itself is in some gear? If so, what is the remedy? When depressed, the clutch pedal engages (actually disengages the clutch plate from the engine), and there is a distinctive grinding sound when I release the clutch pedal, as the clutch plate allows the power again to pass to the rear wheels. So the clutch itself is actually working? That is a success? LOL But I need to know how to get the shifter to actuate the gears properly. I hope I haven't screwed up horribly. By the way, after running the engine for a few minutes, I peered into the bellhousing again to check on the wayward backup light plug, and it's still there, seemingly untouched.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gotgcoalman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:40 pm

im going to say the wheels turning when in the air is normal in neutral gear.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hetman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 pm

gotgcoalman wrote:im going to say the wheels turning when in the air is normal in neutral gear.

That would be comforting. I should just drop the van and take it for a spin then. ;) Thank you!
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:54 pm

yeah they will turn when off the ground, try lowering it to the ground and see what happens.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby hetman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:12 pm

Thank you also, Chuggy. I will get around to that tomorrow and let you know.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:48 pm

I checked my photos and confirmed that the clutch plate is installed with the "Getriebeseite" and "Gearbox side" visible, correctly from that point of view. And I lowered the van to the ground and started the engine. It immediately lurched forward and I slammed on the brakes. The shifter still felt like it was in neutral, however, and I repeated the procedure, and this time the shifter actually felt like it was in (1st?) gear, and won't come out of gear now, even with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor. So it appears that the transmission was in first gear, though the shifter felt like it was in neutral. Why would that be? I'm still trying to figure this out. Is the shifter somehow not connecting correctly to the inside mechanism of the gearbox? But, since now the shifter feels like it's engaged, and the only thing that seems to be wrong is that I can't disengage the clutch, then I am to assume that the clutch cable is the only thing needing attention? I need to merely adjust it properly? Currently with the pedal up, the cable seems to be tight. Should I tighten it more, or loosen it?
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Let's call it another day. Nine. Using some tips I got as a response to a help wanted thread in the technical section, I checked a few things. First with my son sitting in the van, pushing the clutch pedal down. It actuates the fork/arm in the transmission (and the pedal feel is such, also). I tried adjusting it tighter, but this makes no difference, so I left it. Next, I pushed in the arm in the transmission manually from below, and it seems to have its normal travel, just as it did while the pedal was being depressed.

Is it possible that the throwout bearing could have been installed backwards? Could the pilot bearing in the crank be seized, as suggested as a possibility. I'd rejected that as unlikely since it was brand new and working fine before I installed it, and I believe also even after I installed it. But could it be seized? Maybe! What about over-torquing bolts to the flywheel or clutch? All of those bolts were secured and tightened with the assistance of a torque wrench, and also a thread-locking compound.

I'm beginning to run out of ideas here, but it must be something. After these tests, I jacked up the rear of the van and attempted to start it. A week ago it started. Today it turned over and over and over.... I looked under and the whole drivetrain was moving along with the attempts to start the engine. As if something were seized or the transmission were in gear. But why is it reluctant to start today?

I removed the gearstick and took a picture for you to see how it looks inside. I bolted it back together after determining that there is only one way for it to physically attach to the transmission. However, I do not know if anything is off inside the transmission. Bambi suggested to line up the 3 slots before attaching the gear shifter. So, how do I identify that my 3 slots are lined up? I only seem to see one slot. Are there 3 slots which correspond to the 3 up and down gear choices? ( 1/2 and 3/4 and 5/R)? Can you ascertain from my picture if my slots are lined up properly?

Much obliged.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Yes Mike the right hand one of your gear selector rods is in the wrong position, so basically its in gear, you need to move it until you see the shiny slot like on the other two selector rods, line all three up and fit the gear lever back in and your problem should be sorted.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby hetman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Day 10: Success!! Thanks for the explanation, Chuggy, and I did exactly what you said and the van is now road-worthy! I drove it around a couple miles, enough to get into 4th gear a few times, and the van seems to be in fantastic shape now. What an incredible relief. I can barely believe my good fortune.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!