*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect ongoing problem

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Connect ongoing problem

Postby Telbricky » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 pm

Hello guys, first post so here goes.

I have a 2009 Transit Connect 1.8 TDCI, 102k on the clock. Recently the van has started to play up in terms of power, for a few weeks the van has been juddering/misfiring. I first noticed this problem while on a dual carriageway but it can now be noticed where ever i go, tends to be more when driving uphill in 4th/5th gear. Then, last week i had the van loose all power and go into "Limp mode" with the powertrain cog/exclamation mark on the dash, i then pulled over onto a grass verge... restarted the van and everything seemed to be back to normal again! Just a couple minutes down the road the same limp mode problem, turn of the key/ignition and normal power resumed.

I had the van booked in over the weekend at a local garage to whom of which told me the only fault that was coming up on the scanner was EGR Valve, unfortunately i haven't got the codes avail but will chase them up. They then went ahead and cleaned the EGR Valve, of which was completely caked up! Van then out on a test run, problem was still there after around 20 miles and the same EGR Valve fault code - certainly seems to be the root of the problem? Also of note there are no hoses split/loose at all.

The garage then did a few tests on the injectors and found one to be faulty, of which they want to replace. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues as above? or a solution before i fork out some money... i have been reading over the forum that a EGR Blank could be a solution and for little money, its definitely worth a punt.

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you!
Telbricky

Re: Connect ongoing problem

Postby g-man » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:37 pm

welcome m8y :) ........u need to get the fault codes 1st otherwise its guesswork
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Telbricky » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi guys,

Apologies about bringing up an old thread but here goes.

After i had the previous problems with limp mode/egr i installed a blanking plate (without the hole) and bang, no problems. The van has ran smooth ever since, the odd stutter/limp mode but with the key turned on and off the problem disappeared.

Now, Sunday night i was travelling back from a friends giving the van a bit more than i usually do and the van slipped into the dreaded limp mode again. Turn of the key and the problem was still apparent. After 3/4 attempts i managed to get the power back and got home. Here's me thinking the van had cleared again and i was ok to head to work Monday morning - WRONG.

The van has been stuck in limp mode for a day now, i have managed to get the power back but when placing my foot fully on the accelerator in 2nd/3rd the van stutters and goes back into limp.

I have two codes, P0404 & P0490.

Both appear to be EGR related problems. Since then i have removed & refitted the blanking plate/cleaned the area, cleaned the EGR Valve (Moving freely/no build up of soot) and cleaned all the pins/wires nearby. None of this seems to have rectified the fault and the van still drives in limp. Theres also a slight misfire whilst idling in which i haven't noticed before.

Could anyone with similar issues please point me in the right direction?
Telbricky

Postby Boghopper » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:12 pm

I had all this nonsense with the EGR valve. I replaced the actuator with a new one. I blanked it off as well, that was the end of my problems.

I bought one of these:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-VALVE-FO ... SwCU1Y3gyv

There are cheaper ones on ebay but I bought these as they have all the Ford casting marks on them, which tells me they are Ford OEM parts, rebadged. Anyway, I replaced it a couple of years ago and it hasn't missed a beat.

Just because your actuator valve looks clean and what-not, doesn't mean it's working right.

Anyway, that's what sorted mine out. Cheers.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Telbricky » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:34 pm

Boghopper wrote:I had all this nonsense with the EGR valve. I replaced the actuator with a new one.

Hi, many thanks for the prompt reply. That is certainly something to look at, i have read on numerous other posts and found that replacing the actuator has been a fix for some. Its worth a punt and for £50 it means i can get to work without ruining my weekend toy! Thank you

I took the van out tonight and after around 20 minutes of key on/off i finally managed to get some revs and out of limp mode. I managed to keep the van at around 3000rpm for around 5 minutes in the hope it would clear any soot out the exhaust, when i went around to the back the floor was black covered in a very oily/soot substance. Sure enough i took it out for a good run around town. The odd limp mode occurred but managed to keep the van going and giving it a good clear out... I came to a junction in which i pulled out of fine but when going into 3rd/4th gear the van went into limp again and i couldn't manage to get it out. 30 minute drive in limp and I'm back home again, baffled. Still coming up with P0490 and the odd P0404 now and then..

As mentioned above, if the actuator has failed would it make sense that the van occasionally comes out of limp mode and enables me to drive while i keep the rpm high? and when coming to a stop/sitting in traffic the actuator fails/sends the van into limp? I have also heard changing the fuel filter is a good start as mine looks very tired, potential fix (Not sure why it would throw up P0490/P0404?)

Any further help appreciated, thanks again.

Tel
Telbricky

Postby Telbricky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Hi guys, just a quick update.

Replaced the fuel filter today. Sounds a lot better whilst ticking over and no misfiring, all good.

I also decided to take the EGR actuator off again for closer inspection, i noticed whilst the van was being running/revved the actuator wasn't moving at all. I decided to take a closer look inside at the wiring part, the 'contacts' looked to be worn out as such so i decided to give them a gentle clean and made sure the pins/sensors were OK. Actuator back on, van started up and had it working the same as this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNmaR9y0h70

Managed to get it fixed back into place and the van started up better than before, no limp mode occurred, the best I've had it running since Monday!... until i took it for a quick burn. Engine decides to go into limp mode over 2000rpm in gears/uphill and around 4000rpm in neutral, a simple turn on/off of the key got it back but eventually it went into limp mode altogether. Back to the drawing board!

I took a closer look at the sensor/pin that connects to the manifold/EGR where the intercooler hose connects, when unclipping it i found some oily residue, i hadn't noticed this on Monday. (The intercooler hose had come loose connecting into the manifold/egr over time and i had a sooty/oily mess around that part) so a quick clean up, plugged back in and still the same issue.

Getting P0490 still showing on the scanner, P0404 seems to have disappeared.. for now. I am now leaning more towards the EGR actuator being faulty and when connected back up? I'm not convinced it is doing its job as it should, I've seen various videos on YT but just don't know which is the correct movement?

Thanks guys
Telbricky

Postby Telbricky » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:47 pm

EGR actuator replaced for a new one this morning, still the same limp mode problem although I'm not getting any codes on the scanner.

Theres a whining/buzzing/very high pitch noise coming from the pin connecting into the actuator itself, i can hear it whilst the ignition is on & stays on for around 20 seconds after shutdown?

Any further help would be much appreciated, slowly loosing the patience with this van.

Thank you
Telbricky

Postby Telbricky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Update on what i have done/replaced.

1. Cleaned all sensors
2. Cleaned old actuator/made sure EGR was moving freely
3. Replaced Fuel Filter
4. Replaced EGR Actuator
5. Checked all intake hoses for splits
6. Checked voltage into EGR actuator (Good reading)
7. Checked wiring/any splits or loose connections

I think that is it for now. Van will start up no problems but after about 5 seconds the "Powertrain Cog" dashboard light comes on and van is unable to rev above 1500rpm. No fault codes are stored at the moment, i have tried 3 different OBD readers and all show nothing. I had P0490/P0404 on before fuel filter/actuator change but they seemed to have cleared.

Im really stumped on this one, is there anyone on here at all that has had similar issues that can try and help?

Thanks, again.

Tel
Telbricky

Postby Stugud » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:42 pm

Hey sorry to bring up old problems but I have exactly the same as yours did you ever figure it out
Regards stu
Stugud

Return to Transit Connect