*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Trying to save my mk3 camper

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Trying to save my mk3 camper

Postby Damay1974 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi all I've a mk3 transit campervan and I love it but unfortunately failed mot majorly on welding and I can't weld hears my question I stay in doune near Stirling does anyone know of anybody who welds tried every garage in area know one will do it say jobs to big for them or don't do that type of work I've know problem paying for the work and know itl not be cheap but she's to good to scrap and me and my family are desperately trying to save her if anyone know a gd welder around Stirling area we'd be much appreciated regards Dean
Damay1974
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Trying to save my mk3 camper

Postby vanfox » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:40 am

If you can't find a local welder you could try trailering it further afield. There are bodyshops that will do this kind of work if money is no problem. You should get some offers if you can get the van to them.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mislaid » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Post your failure list and maybe some pics to get an idea of the work that is needed.
Mislaid
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:16 pm

Good idea! When I tried to get my van welded a lot of places wouldn't take on the full job, it tied up too much space and time, ha! Bodyshops want quick turnaround and profit! If you can get a few places to do different parts, wings, sills, steps etc and take it away on a trailer when possible you may get it done for spring.
See if you can find a tv series about a vw campervan rebuild, very enlightening.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits