*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

Postby spudmab » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi everyone, i thought I would start a thread about my new project to see what you guys think and see if i can get some new ideas as time goes on.

Bit of a back story, i have kids, i have motorbikes and i love pick ups. Problem is how to combine all 3, well after some time looking around i decided i had a plan.

So i got looking for a crew cab transit truck, potentially a 6 seater truck, loads of space on the rear for my motorbikes, and a bonus RWD.

So i found this truck towards the end of june, right sort of money, no rotten bed on the back to try and remove. Deal was done and i brought her home.

First job was to pull out all the interior and see if there was any rot to deal with. There was but only a few bits, i had a mk6 tourneo that is rotten but had lots of good bits. Started swapping over the electric windows and mirrors, front door cards, dash ect.

I swapped my seats out for 2 buckets i had and the carpets from the tourneo.

Once the inside was done i needed to get it an MOT, so i ordered some twin wheeled mudguards and made some simple mounts, a few new tyres and 1 abs sensor later it went through its MOT.

So now with the mot in hand i could start to play, first of was the rear suspension, it had extra heavy duty springs, so i pulled 2 out of the 4 of and things headed in the right direction, only issue was the mudguards hits the tyres and mounts no2 where made.

With the rear still to hard the decision was to remove the next leaf leaving just 1 full length spring. Great news the back has some bounce in it now, bad news mudguards hit the tyres again, mounts no3.

So after a bit of driving the front was to hard, i decided to look at the front springs, as i thought extra heavy duty coils, so the tourneo gave up more parts. Both front shocks complete where fitted to the truck. What a massive difference. Oh and why i was swapping the front shocks i modified the mounting taps and drop the front around 75mm.

Very happy with the front now just need to change the rear shocks as i think they are heavy duty and to hard still.

Anyway lots of reading hope you like it so far
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

Postby spudmab » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm

As far as the plans go, i need to pick up 2 mk5 transit 15" 6 stud wheels that are 6J wide and have them banded out to 12J gonna turn the back into a super single, gonna run 295-50R15 tyres.

Need to find or make some side lockers to fit between the body and mudguards.

Then the plans are to get some scaffold boards and make up a tray for the rear, wanna keep it at the chassis hight, i see mudguard mounts no4 happening soon.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby oldyellar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:04 am

Nice project 8)
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby spudmab » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:23 pm

Well not updated for ages, lots of changes and upgrades have happened.

I have now fitted side lockers,
Fitted a 2kw eberspacher night heater,
had to replace the gearbox as it blew itself to bits,
new flywheel and clutch kit.
New clutch master and slave cylinders,

I have also started on my new rear light panel and new lights,

let the photos so the main bit, any feedback is welcomed ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:27 pm

I have been banging my head of the wall for the last 2 days. I have been wiring up the rear lights and i have come across a strange problem.

I have wired up the rear fog lights, reverse lights and indicators, my problem comes with the rear side lights and brake lights.

I have brake lights working fine until i turn the side lights on. Then i don't have a difference in brightness. With the brake light wire disconnected the side lights are fine. Check the brake light wire and it is getting 8.4 volts where it should have nothing. Checked the brake light switch and 1 side i have ignition live, the other side should be nothing but i have the same 8.4 volts.

For some reason its getting a back feed from somewhere. Its being a right pain to try and work it out.

Anyway I will sort it some how. Any input would be great.

On i did manage to fit my reverse camera number plate mount in between all the wiring.Image

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:01 pm

Well tonight I had a play with my rear lights again. It turns out that my rear side light wires and brake light wires are making contact with each other somewhere in my wiring loom.

I checked all the wires and there is continuity between them, this is why every time I turned my side lights on my brake lights would come on. So i pulled out the rear light wires and cut them short, then i cut the wire from the brake light switch and i run a fresh bit of wire right to the rear lights.

I run a new wire for the side lights and gave it all a try. I now have side lights, brake lights with or without side lights on, reverse lights, indicators.

So next job is to add some resistors inline for the rear indicators as they flash very fas. Then fit some new connectors and tidy the loom up.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:59 pm

Managed to get a few hours this evening to try and get the wiring wraped up, nearly all done now, all the wire have been cut back, new superseal connectors have been fitted.

All i have left to do is fit the resistors for the rear LED indicators and sort out the connection on the brake light switch.

I'm really happy with how its turned out, the lights are bloody bright, and they all work.Image

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:27 pm

Well its been ages since i done an update, not much has happened until this evening.

My mate popped into work and we spoke about how i wanted my rear mudguards and how i planned to mount them.

So he took some measurements and headed of, i got a message this morning. It was some pictures of a mock up mudguard, my mate had left it outside his unit for me to collect. I went and grabbed it on the way to work.

So after work i had a look and play about. It seems a little of but as i don't have any mountings fitted it would still work.

Just need the real ones made and get them fitted. The real ones will be made alot wider, to fill the gap right up to the chassis rail

What do people think.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Well what a day, we was out in my mk6 X-rac transit van had to take the wife and kids to a birthday party, when we where driving i started to smell a burning smell, suddenly the battery light came up and i lost the power steering. So we pulled over and turned the van of. Had a look and the auxiliary belt was missing and the belt tensioner had twisted.

Well long story later van back home kids back home after the party. Kinda back on track.

Run a friend who gave me a lift to work and i picked up the truck. Fired it up and started to head home. Got a bit up the road and the truck was really struggling. I pulled over and the bloody front right caliper had stuck on.

Arrrrrrr. Well after a bit of curse word about in the petrol garage i managed to jack the front of the truck up, get the wheel of and un-bolted the caliper, spun the hub and it was free. So i used some brake cleaner on the caliper pistons and managed to get them to push back a little bit. Caliper back on everything bolted back together and i drove home.

The worst part of this is i had the calipers of about 2 weeks ago to clean up the caliper sliders as i thought they might be stuck after sitting for a few months. So what to do now, rebuild or replace the caliper.

If it wasn't for bad luck i don't think i would have any luck.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:38 am

Well more progress, last night i swapped out the tensioner and belt on my orange van so fingers crossed thats ok for now.

With regards the truck, i stripped the calipers and the dust seals, (outer seals) where rusty and all out of shape, the pistons and the inner seals where nice and clean.

Gave everything a wash and wire brushed the parts where the dust seals sit and fitted a new seal kit, the pistons slide in and out nicely now.

So they are ready to go back on the truck along with a new belt and tensioner and hopefully it will be drive able again.Image

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Well a bit of an update, i fitted the calipers and drove up the road, got about 1/4 of a mile and the brakes started to bind.

Turned around and got back to work, the next morning i went in and ordered some new rubber flex hoses. Why i was waiting for them to turn up i had a quick look at the brake pedal, i gave it a pull upwards and the brake light switch moved about 1/2", well thats strange.

Anyway had a think and a chat with the boys i work with and we all came to the conclusion that the brake light switch was pushing the pedal down just enough to push fluid down the lines. Hence when the brakes got hot the fluid couldn't go back up the lines. Took it for a run up the road and guess what the brakes where fine. I then sat and thought when i was doing my rear lights i had the switch out and just shoved it back in with out any thoughts. Just goes to show you what can happen. Every day is a school day.

The next issue i have had is also another easy fix. It was my alternator belt, it kept on jumping forward on the pulleys and it wrecked 2 belts, time to sort this out, i new my tensioner was good, my idler pulley was new, power steering pully was new. So why was it jumping, well if you dont know there is ment to be a gasket behind the timing case cover that spaces the viscous fan pulley forward, seems like the previous owner didnt fit the gasket.

I measured the gasket and it was about 2 mm thick so i found some washers 2mm thick and fitted them behind the viscous fan pulley. Fitted a new belt, fired her up and it was better but not right.

More thinking and i should have only put 2 washers on but i put 3, its only the 2 bolts that bolt through the timing chain cover the 3rd bolt bolts to the block. I removed the belt pulled our the washer and refitted everything.

BINGO we have a winner.

Its been a trying few weeks but finally got a break and can move forward with my build.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri May 08, 2020 9:05 pm

Well its been a minute or two but i have finally got around to welding my metal outriggers on.

I can now move forward with sorting out the rear mudguards and get prepared for the truck bed.

Anyway here are so pictures ImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sat May 30, 2020 5:32 pm

Well today i managed to get my friend to give me some help with cutting my checker plate to size, still got some work before i can bolt them down but they look a bit smart. Well i think soImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:47 pm

I have been working away slowly on the reae chassis rails, my plan is to remove all the rotten top layer before the new ali goes on, lots of cutting and grinding but getting there.

Also the other day i finally got my new lowered rear shocks from Mod your Connect, they are adjustable shocks that have been made for lowered rwd transits, big improvements than what was there.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:52 pm

Well I finally got the last of the chassis rail tops of, gave the inner rails a good hover. I have also got a bit of steel plate to run down the centre of the chassis for the alloy plate to mount to. Gotta weld it in, then treat the rails before finally fitting the alloy plates.

Gonna be fitted with sikafles along the chassis rail tops then bolted down. Nearly there. Cant wait to get it done, sick of grinding plus I'm nearly out of grinding and flap discs.

I have also fitted my new stainless steel bolts with washers. Not the type I wanted but they will do. I had ordered stainless steel torxs bots with matching stainless steel washers but they never arrived.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by spudmab on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!