*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Drop link bush part number

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Drop link bush part number

Postby barryorbik » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:38 am

Does anyone know the Ford Part number or where I can get only the drop link to wishbone figure of 8 rubber bush, as I bought complete link arms, but ruined one of the bushes trying to fit it !!

1996 chassis platform 150" wheelbase if that is relevant.

Thanks

Barry
barryorbik
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Drop link bush part number

Postby Motorhome-Les » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi,
Call in at your local Transit Main Dealer Centre, apparently they have to come direct from Germany (I needed to enquire recently), they are quite pricey. I found it cheaper to buy another complete (aftermarket) drop link assembly - and a lot quicker.
To fit them, without damaging :- get M6 length of studding approx 100mm long, heat up the bush in boiling water, assemble the following order from the top :- M6 nut, spreader washer, 1/2" drive socket to accept the original diameter of the bush, wishbone flange, rubber bush, large diameter spreader washer, M6 nut. Fit a Jubilee clip to the top section of the bush, after lubing with washing-up liquid and compress the bush to as small a diameter as possible with the Jubilee clip, tighten the assembly to the wishbone and gently feed the top edge of the bush through the wishbone hole with a 1/4" wide blunt screwdriver as you continue to tighten the studding. Remove the studding device and the Jubilee clip and then feed the remainder of the bush through the hole with the screwdriver. I used this process and managed it with a few swear words to help !!!
Good luck, Les
Motorhome-Les

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:33 pm

1631619 or 86VB 5K498 AA

I should have genuine ones in stock ready to go...
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby barryorbik » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:49 am

Thanks Guys,
I did manage to get two new genuine Ford bushes from the local-(ish) Transit main dealer. They were a tad pricey at £8.00 the pair, but are much better quality and are 'handed' so the bottom has more of a taper, making the fitting a little less difficult.

I ended up using the boiling water, lots of liquid soap, 6 mm allthread and a big socket and washers, plus plumbers pipe pliers with gaffer tape on the teeth to compress the lower bulge and protect the bush from damage, but I cannot imagine that this is what Ford used on their assembly lines!

It ended up taking a day to change both drop arms !

Many thanks again.

Barry
barryorbik
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits