*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

Postby spudmab » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Well a bit more progress, i decided to get the front sheets onto the truck so i could work out the fittings. I needed to drill through the aluminium sheet into the steel underneath, then remove the aluminium sheets drill the hole out bigger and then fit M8 nut-sert. Then refit the aluminium sheets and check the bolt holes line up and put the a bot in, 24 odd holes later and the sheets are on.

Next is to remove the aluminium sheets, weld the new centre rail in place, then schultz the rails and finally bond and bolt the aluminium sheets on for good.

Anyway some pictures as we all like pictures

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Just a few side pictures, definitely need to make an infill part for behind the rear wheel arches ImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Well not much progress on the truck recently until this week, i have the MOT in a few weeks so time to get bits put right.

Well there was quite a few jobs that needed doing, here goes.

Both front wheel bearings.
Front discs
Front pads
Track rod ends
Front anti roll bar links
Front tyres
Drivers side bottom arm bush
And a small hole to weld in the chassis rail

Well it all started of well, pulled the front hub of the passenger side knocked the old bearing of, removed the disc. Went to press the new bearing on and it started to go on nice until i noticed it was upside down. I had to knck it of witch ruins it, so get the 2nd bearing, press it on the right way around. Fit the new dusc, new pads, anti roll bar link and track rod end. Everything went back together very smoothly. So i stripped the other side down.

The track rod end wouldn't move, but apart from that it all went smoothly, a few days later a replacement bearing arrived and i fitted it,( the right way round) re fitted everything else.

Soni booked the day of today but went to work so i could attempt to remove the bolt arm and free of the truck rod end.

With a lot of heat i managed to get the bolt moving, needed to cut it out as it was seized in the bush. Anyway got it all freed of and removed the bottom arm. Pressed the old bush out and pushed the new one in. Fitted a new ball joint, plenty of copper grease and new bolts fitted it back on the truck. Next was plenty of heat on the track rod end, got it moving unwound it and cleaned the threads and fitted the new track rod end.

Last job or so i thought was weld up the small hole in the chassis rail. Cut a plate and welded it in. Had a look under the truck and i had a bit of rust on the drivers side inner wheel arch to cut out and repair. Then my boss had a check under the van and he noticed 2 small cuts in the rear chassis cross members so a bit more welding. One it was all welded i seem sealed all the fresh metal and the schultz as much of the chassis as 1 can would allow.

Lowered the truck on the floor and moved it backwards and forwards to settle the suspension, the check the tracking locked everything up.

So after a full day messing around the truck should now be ready for its MOT.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DieselPower » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:42 pm

Very nice mate, I think I;ve seen this over on retrorides. Nice to see something a bit out of the ordinary. It's got lorry cab style proportions which looks pretty good.
DieselPower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby spudmab » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:22 pm

Well I have been asking my boss to MOT the truck since last Monday, but its not a customer's vehicle so not priority, lol

Anyway everything has been going well until this Monday morning when i noticed a crack appeared in the windscreen, not that long but a pain, after work Monday evening that crack had more than doubled, so about 4" long on the passenger side, great.

Well i called my insurance company and have arranged to get a new window fitted. Then window company called tk get it all booked in. I was asked if it was a heated or normal screen as the age of the truck didn't show up on there system.

Bit of quick thinking my reply was,

Well it has the wiring there for a heated windscreen. ( it does, no fuses or relays but then wiring plugs are behind then a pillar trims.) So technical it might have has a heated windscreen, but who knows.

The windscreen company said ok they will bring a heated screen. So fingers crossed that will be done tomorrow at work.

Oh another note my boss put my truck through its mot today. Went through with no advisorys, he even commented on how nice it drove this time compared to last year.

So overall a mixed bag of ups and downs. Will let you know if by little white lie works out or not.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:43 am

Well yesterday went a bit pair shaped, i was waiting for the window screen company to turn up, hadn't heard anything by 2 ish so i gave them a call. Was told i was down as the last job of the day but they would get the fitter to call me.

The fitter called and said he would be with me between 4 and 5. Great stuff as once the screen was fitted i would have to wait for 3 hours before driving it.

Well 4.30 came and still no fitter so i called him and said he would have to come to my house to fit the window as i was going home.

Anyway 5.10 and the fitter finally turned up, went out and spoke to him. Was told that the screen he had was for a transit custom and not for my van. Somewhere they had messed up. Then he said that he was ment to be fitting a heated windscreen but mine wasn't heated.

With that i said well i told the lady on the phone that it had the wiring for a heated windscreen, i showed him the wires and the switch in the dash. I said fors wouldn't have put the wires there for nothing, he agreed, lol.

So we came to the conclusion that the previous owner much have had a cheap plain window fitted for cash as it would have been a lot cheaper.

So the fitter said he would order a heated window for my van and arrange to fit it early next week.

Fingers crossed he sticks to his word but im not gonna celebrate until its in, now mad rush to try and find the correct relays to allow the heated screen to work.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 pm

Well today was the big day, i got a txt at 9.14 saying that the window screen company would be with me by 9.50, just before the van pulled in.

Went out and spoke to the bloke and he said he had a heated windscreen for my truck, gave him the keys and left him to it.

A short time later he was done and i now have a nice clean heated windscreen, he even plugged it all in for me.

Just need to go pick up a relay from my brother-in-law and fingers crossed it should all work

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Well today i finally managed to get the front timer relay from my brother-in-law when we met up at a park, why the kids where playing i nipped out to the truck, plugged the relay in and started the truck. Held my breath and tried the front screen button.

To my surprise the switch illuminated, so waited for a few minutes and felt the window screen, it was warm. Went to the passenger side and it was also warm. So it looks like the heated windscreen works and so does the wing mirrors. Would like to change the switch that does the mirrors as it has the picture of the rear screen, i can get one with a picture of the wing mirrors. Will just make it look better. More factory i guess.

Just need a crappy day to put it to the test. Roll on winter.

So next challenge is to try and fit aircon. In theory all the wiring is there, so need the oump heater box and the other parts, should be mostly the same stuff as a fwd van just a few different pipes. We will see

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:27 pm

Well today i had the day off so mission scrap yard challenge was on. I hit the first yard and only managed to get little bits and bobs. I picked up heated washer jets, heated mirror switch, a few relays and spare switches, also a pair for chrome inner door handles from a focus ghia.

After 4 other yards and no luck i thought I would try 1 last yard before heading home.

I managed to find a transit tourneo, had a look and it had air con, result. Fast forward a few hours and i managed to get the heater box out all the heater pipes, some aircon pipework and the accumulator.

So not a bad hall, the only issue's i have are the end of the pipework that connects to the heater matrix. I didnt have the tool to remove the pipes properly so i had to cut the connectors of. Also because it was a tourneo it had a take of for rear air con so one pipe isn't quite right.

So now i need to work out if the condenser radiator will work on my truck as the tourneo is FWD and my truck is RWD. I also need to get a pump and the last bits of pipe workImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Well for a fairly long time i have had quite a heavy vibration when i have been braking, i thought it might be the rear brakes as all the front brakes have been replaced. To test the theory i gently lifted the hand brake when i was driving and god i thought the truck was gonna shake itself to bits. Well that confirms it new rear brakes required.

Well i ordered new drums and shoes and i set about fitting them this evening, pulled the first drum of and it still had the Ford logo on it. Could they bee the original factory fitted ones. 200,000 miles?? Well when i had the first drum of it was extremely thin, and the shoes weren't that good. So after a clean up, re-grease i fitted new shoes and a new drum. Over to the other side and pretty much the same story. Anyway the brakes now seem a tad better. Need to adjust the handbrake cables as i have a fair bit of play.

Will get some photos of the old drums tomorrow, i just wanted to get packed up and get home.ImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:55 pm

Some pictures of the old drumsImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:56 pm

Ha ha yeah would be an idea, but im not green by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway yesterday i has another day of from work so i planned on working on the truck, little did I know the boss (wife) had different ideas. She wanted me to do more of our bathroom makeover, ok i agreed but i needed/wanted to pop back down to the scrap yard and make a template of the air-con holes in the bulkhead as there isn't any real markings in my bulkhead and i kinda want it right. So flew to the scrap yard with a bit of cardboard and a marker pen. Template done, back home to be bob the builder.

Well today didn't go much better with the truck, but i managed to nip outside for a bit and i managed to get the bulk of the dash out of the truck ready to swap the heater boxes over. I did have a little helper. I had child 6 with me, my 7 year old girl, she loves doing anything mechanical, she is quite happy playing with nuts and bolts if im in the workshop. My wife was sleeping as she works nights, child 7 was laying on our bed on mums phone.

So next job is to remove the dash framework and then remove the heater box, drill new holes and reassemble everything. Lol

Anyway some photos, ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:55 pm

Well i picked the boss up at 8 this morning and had plans to go see my family as its my mums birthday today. So i said the the boss im gonna do an hour on the truck before getting the kids ready tk go out.

I pulled the dash bar out, removed the old heater matrix and was greeted with a loads of leafs and rubbish. Once Hovered i out my template on the bulk head and set about drilling the new holes i needed. The 3 round ones, the top 2 are for the pipes, the bottom is a drain hole for the air-con

Holes drilled, splash of paint time to fit the new heater box, all fitted without any issues, put the dash bar back in, the after changing the vent pipes i slotted the dash back in place.

So now all thats left is to fit all the dash back together and thats the worst part done.

All this effort for the 2 letter on the heater fan switch. LolImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:30 pm

Well another hour this evening and the truck is a lot more complete, the dash is mostly back in, just the passenger side airbag to bolt in and the steering column surround.

Done a check and the heater turns on and the AC lights up if pushed. Hopefully that is the hardest/ longest part of fitting the air-con done now.

Next is the condenser / rad, pump and pipes.

On other news my new rails im fitting to thw bed have arrived, more on that when i get to that point Image

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:08 am

Well my crew cab mk6 has evolved a little since my last update.

Lots of changes,

Now have on-board air compressor system with tank ect.

Changed the front hubs to 5 stud and have a set of 17" transit wheels on the front.

Finally worked out my front air suspension set-up, hopefully it will be on before transit mainia.

Anyway pictures speak 1000 words or so they say. Enjoy

https://youtube.com/shorts/Nj3dpxU23XQ?feature=shareImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!