*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:35 am

oldskooler wrote:excellent work mate...ill be watching this one with interest..im planning one of these conversions some time down the road..

ive got a passat donor, valeo solid flywheel kit and i my case a clutch disc from a mitsubishi pajero/l200 which is 225mm and mt75 splines..

great project so far..

Cheers for the compliments, its always nice to see someone is reading this! :lol: :lol: :lol:
1999 mk5 tourneo (previously jagvan, now Vw PD powered)
2000 mk5 with a jaguar twist :wink: (now dead but will live on)
1996 disco 300tdi 1.2 offroad toy :D
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RP123 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:21 pm

Great work mate.

Is the adapter plate something you could supply to others or if that isn’t possible would it be possible to supply a template/dimensions so that someone else could get one made up at a local engineering firm?

I’m looking to do this conversion to one of mine using the mt75 box.

Many thanks in advance
1999 Tourneo GLX85PS
1973 Mk1 Transit Canterbury savannah
1963 Mk3 Zodiac
1964 Anglia 105e
RP123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:55 pm

RP123 wrote:Great work mate.

Is the adapter plate something you could supply to others or if that isn’t possible would it be possible to supply a template/dimensions so that someone else could get one made up at a local engineering firm?

Many thanks in advance

Sorry I don't have any dimensions as such written or drawn up as it was all handmade from scratch, the only way I'd be able to get a copy from it would be by dismantling it all and having it laser scanned onto CAD or something?
That being said its not as straightforward as just the adapter plate being bolted on, there's bits I've missed off on this thread that go into the conversion (not in purpose........its just ive a shite memory and forgotten to take pics and update :lol: :lol: )
I've been asked via Facebook a few times if I would make copies but its more involved than just bolting it on and I simply haven't got the time to put in for the aftercare (if that's a thing for engine conversions? :? ) if something goes wrong if you get me?
Sorry to sound blunt but I just don't have the time, apologies again for the let down :(
If you can get a firm to make 1 up via laser scanning both bellhousings etc by all means give me a shout and pick my brains when it comes to it, I'll gladly help where I can in that respect 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RP123 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 am

Pocketrocket wrote:
RP123 wrote:Great work mate.

Many thanks in advance

Sorry I don't have any dimensions as such written or drawn up as it was all handmade from scratch, the only way I'd be able to get a copy from it would be by dismantling it all and having it laser scanned onto CAD or something?
That being said its not as straightforward as just the adapter plate being bolted on, there's bits I've missed off on this thread that go into the conversion (not in purpose........its just ive a shite memory and forgotten to take pics and update :lol: :lol: )
I've been asked via Facebook a few times if I would make copies but its more involved than just bolting it on and I simply haven't got the time to put in for the aftercare (if that's a thing for engine conversions? :? ) if something goes wrong if you get me?
Sorry to sound blunt but I just don't have the time, apologies again for the let down :(
If you can get a firm to make 1 up via laser scanning both bellhousings etc by all means give me a shout and pick my brains when it comes to it, I'll gladly help where I can in that respect 8)

No worries at all, I can understand that. Many thanks for your reply
1999 Tourneo GLX85PS
1973 Mk1 Transit Canterbury savannah
1963 Mk3 Zodiac
1964 Anglia 105e
RP123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:53 pm

OK time for an update.......... The Van Is Home!!!!!! :D :D
Got a few bits/bobs done recently, main being getting the engine/gearbox stabbed in today........
Got 1/2 issues, the adapter plate fouling on the steering rack is the main 1 at the moment so it will have to be pulled to address this.
The nice shiny paintwork on the bulkhead is now scuffed/scratched in places :twisted:
I may have to make a plate to sit the engine/gearbox 10mm upwards and forwards to give me clearance both ways but I'll see what clearance the mod to the adapter plate gives me 1st then make the mounts to suit as usual.
I got the di altenator mounted on a custom mount where the aircon pump used to sit and belts on to suit too.
Made a mount for the passat accelerator pedal.
Also got my ultra wide tyres fitted ready too......have to say they look the dogs!! 8)
Did the timing belt/waterpump while the engine was on the floor too and a thorough degrease :D
Most of the internal loom Is also ran inside the dash, just the engine loom to go through the bulkhead.
Looking roughly where the engines sitting I'll have to make completely custom mounts, I did hope to try and utilise the passat 1s but I don't think there will be space near the steering column/shaft and uj :?
Anways might be a few bits ive forgotten but here's a few pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pocketrocket on Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Couple more......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby spudmab » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:14 pm

What size are the rear wheels and tyres, looking smart

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Pocketrocket » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:28 pm

spudmab wrote:What size are the rear wheels and tyres, looking smart

They are 275 40 17s 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:00 pm

Just a small up date, ive now got the engine mounts made and welded up, ive used the original passat rubbers but both body and engine mounts to are completely custom.

I did have a small hiccup whilst doing the mounts, as I was measuring up, the block moved slightly so in my haste I threw the jack under to level it up and in the process jacked it up through the sump!
:lol: :oops:
1 extra job to sort but thankfully not too expensive :roll:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:40 pm

Small update from Sunday, the engine/box are now sat in properly, the mounts fit perfectly (which is a surprise :lol: )

The clutch is hooked up as is the power steering that I modified with the vw banjo end.

The gearstick is also fitted as is the altenator too 8)

Also routed the loom through the bulkhead and up to under the dash so its nice and neat out of the way/sight.

Just going through trying to route some of the water pipework and I'm waiting on a 45deg stainless bend for the exhaust :D

Few pics as always :wink:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:23 pm

Just an update to keep it rolling,
Started to make up a frame/mount for the rad and intercooler.
I'm gonna be using the standard Passat rad and a Fabia Vrs fmic.
I've bought the cooler already and I'm in the middle of using the old rad to mock up and mount, I'll replace this with new when needed. :D

I've mocked up the water pipework too, I ended up using a golf thermostat housing as the passat 1 pointed downwards and had the vw quick release type clip fittings, the golf is a better position all-round.

I've made the exhaust down pipe from the turbo, I've gone for a 2.5in ss pipe, its a bit overkill but after asking if it would be OK on a few vw pages it made sense to use this size as it will easily join to the existing system. 8)

Shes also go a couple of new boots for the front now too, the low profiles were sadly perished with being sat for so long in the sunlight and were a little bit too skinny for the van to be fair, I've now gone for a pair of 205 55 17s which have the same rolling radius as the rears :)

Majority of the wiring is also finished now, I just need to extend the ignition wiring and tie into the transit loom once I have the battery fitted.

I also fitted the front/rear prop (id previously fitted a new centre bearing) but it turns out I had a mk4 set and the centre bearing wouldn't land on the mk5 centre mount, a new adapter plate was made to move the landing point, I just haven't fitted it due to the crap weather we've had :cry:

Still need to look at what type of header tank I'll use and once the fmic is fitted I'll need the boost pipework to match.

Shes slowly getting there, will definitely be ready for mania (the Mrs wants to go on our hols in it in April too! :lol: )

Few update pics as always......
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:23 pm

I would be inclined to get a bit of angle/similar and weld it to the back of your extension plate... with the cyclic loads of the prop bouncing around it stands a good chance of fatiguing and breaking....
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pocketrocket » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 pm

MinorMatt wrote:I would be inclined to get a bit of angle/similar and weld it to the back of your extension plate... with the cyclic loads of the prop bouncing around it stands a good chance of fatiguing and breaking....

Damit matt!!
I've gone and painted it now!! :lol:
Its not fitted as yet as the weather was crap last weekend gone but I'll have a look at what clearance I've got for a few strengthening strips/gussets etc :wink:
It is made of 4mm thick plate but yeh i see where your coming from
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:50 pm

So just a little update and a couple of pics,

Its getting to the point of being able to go for a 1st start, will probably only be a short go as the rad/water pipework isn't finished as I'm STILL waiting on bits! :evil:

The engine now has oil back in, the tank has diesel in and the main wiring is done, I just have the ignition wiring to splice into the transit ignition once I have the battery hooked up.

I've still got to mount the fuel pump underneath somewhere and run the fuel pipework but it isn't a massive job

The exhaust/downpipe is finished, I've used the existing system for the time being but I've got plans to modify it to a twin side exit once the weather is dryer and warmer! :lol:

Good news is the front cooler turned up today, I ended up going for a darkside 1 as the 1st I ordered never arrived!
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 am

So just a small update, the rad/cooler frame/support is all fab'd up., just wants painting. 8)
Some hoses have arrived which has helped with the placement etc.
The new radiator has arrived (used the old to mock up with.....it was leaking anyway).
The wiring to the fuel pump is ran and the pipework finished, I had to buy a new fuel filter as I sprained 1 of the pipes while fitting the pipework. :roll:
She's also now sat back on all 4s too, hopefully be going for a 1st start this coming weekend if the weather holds off, once its running I can then make a permanent job of the ignition wiring.
As always the pictures tell the storey better :D
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!