*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford transit 2.5 TD 1996

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Ford transit 2.5 TD 1996

Postby islander1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:55 am

Hi I am new her i hope to find my answer to my problem her guys , I have Ford transit 2.5 TD 1996 the engine was sound until it started to knock i opened the engine and found one of the head bolts broken and cracked the cylinder head i replaced all bolts and replaced the head too with second hand one checked all valves and replaced the rods following hyenas manual and replaced fuel and water pumps timing belt all serviceable bits i checked the timing all in the holes then it want start i opened it again and i can see its out of timing again so i was puzzled now the timing is messed up so which hole i should stick the drill in first is it the flywheel first or the fuel pump first or the camshaft first as after locking the fly wheel i cant rotate to align the others please help thanks
islander1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Ford transit 2.5 TD 1996

Postby INTRANSIT » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:55 pm

I have only done the non turbo mk5 but believe the TD version is the same ?
There are two holes in the flywheel you want the deeper one that allows a 13mm drill bit to go right through the flywheel
the other hole only lets the bit in a short distance.
there are useful tips here
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=56801&c=1
Mk7 2.2 85ps Fwd 2008 poverty spec
INTRANSIT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby islander1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:04 pm

many thanks I did that i removed the sensor and placed it in the fly wheel but what do you do after as i cant rotate it to align the other 2 holes i want to know the sequence which one first
islander1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby wojciech » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 pm

The crankshaft gear makes two turns for one revolution of the camshaft and injection pump gear. So turn the crankshaft 360 degrees, then you should be able to lock the camshaft gear and pump gear using the correct pins.
If this is still not possible, remove the timing belt, block the flywheel, camshaft pulley and injection pump shaft in the correct position. Refit the timing belt, loosen the injection pump pulley bolts, tighten the timing belt tensioner, retighten the injection pump pulley bolts. Thanks to this, you have a correctly set timing and a static injection advance angle.
It is irrelevant for the engine when setting the valve timing whether a given piston stroke is a compression stroke or an exhaust stroke. Always the engine with all timing pulleys correctly locked and then the timing belt fitted (plus injection angle correction) will be correctly set.

If you do not have the right diameter pins, you can use a 13mm drill bit as a flywheel lock, and an 8mm drill bit as a camshaft lock. A 9mm diameter rod fits into the pump lock hole in the orifice, the body hole is 5mm (the original pin is two-diameter). If you do not have a pin to block the pump, you can use a 5mm drill bit with adhesive tape wound around in a suitable place up to a diameter of 9mm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby islander1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:39 pm

it lloks like in all posts they all locking it before they change it so no need to rotate but in my case its been messed up after overhauling the engine so I need to set the timing from scratch any one know how please reply thanks
islander1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby islander1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:44 pm

many thanks that's helpful I will try tomorrow and let you know
islander1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby wojciech » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:48 pm

wojciech wrote:T
If this is still not possible, remove the timing belt, block the flywheel, camshaft pulley and injection pump shaft in the correct position. Refit the timing belt, loosen the injection pump pulley bolts, tighten the timing belt tensioner, retighten the injection pump pulley bolts.

A small fix: block the flywheel first, then remove the timing belt and then block the camshaft and pump shaft. This sequence ensures that the pistons do not conflict with the valves when setting.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:41 am

Assuming you have the timing pin in the correct hole in the flywheel (a 13mm drill bit will pass all the way through)… then the valves will stop the camshaft turning to the correct place. If you remove the rocker gear, all the valves are fully closed and you can turn the camshaft to match. The injection pump will turn to get it in the right position regardless of crank/camshaft position. Once its all pinned up, and the injection pump pulley slackened, you can fit the belt
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby islander1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:33 pm

I have blocked the flywheel then I had to loosen the belt to move the camshaft pully and the fuel pump pully in place all holes where aligned then i placed the belt then it s doing the same thing turning but not starting also II heard wising noise when i looked it looked like the tensioner nearly came off as the screw sheared out when I looked the diameter of the whole is bigger for the screw to fit in I have to check if they send me the wrong one but in the Haynes manual its showing a different tensioner with long metal adjustment not the round one I received any ideas
islander1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby islander1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:41 pm

hi everyone i have done all timing but it turn and don't start what else could it be also the tensioner making the belt slide inward not in line i cant see any adjustment
islander1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby wojciech » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:24 pm

islander1 wrote:hi everyone i have done all timing but it turn and don't start what else could it be also the tensioner making the belt slide inward not in line i cant see any adjustment

The self tensioning tensioner was introduced by DAYCO and is available in kits with a special Teflon-coated timing belt. You should install this set. Timing belt of appropriate width - for model Mk5 1996 - 25.4mm. Correctly tensioned timing belt of correct width is guided by the crankshaft pulley - it has walls on both sides. It will positioned itself properly on the pump, camshaft and tensioner wheels (with some slight tolerance). If this is not the case and the belt is slipping so that it rubs against the engine - then the first suspicion is about the tensioner.

If the timing is correctly adjusted with pins and the engine does not start, check the fuel system - after such an engine repair, the fuel system must be bled... Check the settings of the valves again - if they have the correct clearances.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby islander1 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:29 pm

wojciech wrote:The crankshaft gear makes two turns for one revolution of the camshaft and injection pump gear. So turn the crankshaft 360 degrees, then you should be able to lock the camshaft gear and pump gear using the correct pins.
If this is still not possible, remove the timing belt, block the flywheel, camshaft pulley and injection pump shaft in the correct position. Refit the timing belt, loosen the injection pump pulley bolts, tighten the timing belt tensioner, retighten the injection pump pulley bolts. Thanks to this, you have a correctly set timing and a static injection advance angle.
It is irrelevant for the engine when setting the valve timing whether a given piston stroke is a compression stroke or an exhaust stroke. Always the engine with all timing pulleys correctly locked and then the timing belt fitted (plus injection angle correction) will be correctly set.

If you do not have the right diameter pins, you can use a 13mm drill bit as a flywheel lock, and an 8mm drill bit as a camshaft lock. A 9mm diameter rod fits into the pump lock hole in the orifice, the body hole is 5mm (the original pin is two-diameter). If you do not have a pin to block the pump, you can use a 5mm drill bit with adhesive tape wound around in a suitable place up to a diameter of 9mm.

HI I have done all that now it turn and not starting then I heard a wising noise in the engine so i opened the rocker arm cover and i found all bush rods twisted and one rocker arm is broken is that because of incorrect clearance for the rocker arms or something else please advise thanks
islander1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby islander1 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:51 pm

wojciech wrote:
islander1 wrote:hi everyone i have done all timing but it turn and don't start what else could it be also the tensioner making the belt slide inward not in line i cant see any adjustment

The self tensioning tensioner was introduced by DAYCO and is available in kits with a special Teflon-coated timing belt. You should install this set. Timing belt of appropriate width - for model Mk5 1996 - 25.4mm. Correctly tensioned timing belt of correct width is guided by the crankshaft pulley - it has walls on both sides. It will positioned itself properly on the pump, camshaft and tensioner wheels (with some slight tolerance). If this is not the case and the belt is slipping so that it rubs against the engine - then the first suspicion is about the tensioner.

If the timing is correctly adjusted with pins and the engine does not start, check the fuel system - after such an engine repair, the fuel system must be bled... Check the settings of the valves again - if they have the correct clearances.

I think its because I haven't checked the valves clearance again after fitting the timing belt it has damaged all valves and broken one rocker I have to replace all
islander1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby islander1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:08 pm

now i had to start all over again i replaced the broken rocker arm and all the bent rods but all setting is messed up so how can i set the rocker correctly with the timing also do you have the clearance measurements as i cant find it in Haynes manual please help is anyone live close buy who can come and do this setting for me I am located in Ottershaw surrey I will pay them for there time
islander1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 pm

www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits