*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 a folly,for racing

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Mk6 a folly,for racing

Postby mini_mayhem » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:37 pm

There is nothing like swimming my way out of the deep end.

I needed a van to move everything about for racing.
with no money and an overy optimistic view of man maths I trawled the interwebs for a van.

I was looking for Sprinters, Crafters , but the prices were mad for anything driving. then on to the rest of the field, Transits, transporters, masters, trafic, movano, even, lord forgive me LDV maxus.

As each van passed across the screen I grew weary from the optimistic owners selling a van that starts and stalls but 'can be driven home fine' to the non runners which need '20 pound to pass the MoT' but hadn't time.

As the first job for the van drew near the heighten sense of defeat at booking a hire van took hold and with willingness of naive youth an offer was made for a Mk6 Transit, LWB Med roof that was only 125miles away.

We set off to view it and as we drove the sky grew dark and the clouds closed in, reducing the dismal daylight to a darkness of a deep winter, when every ray of light was needed due to being without an inspection lamp. The clouds also decided to let go of their lot meaning the viewing was in the dark and rain, along way from home.

How bad could it be.
the seller said his son was using as storage for the last year and hadn't driven it. but it started first time.
an inspection turned up some slight corrosion on the rear sills but that was manageable. The chassis rails looked solid. The MoT history had only a mention of 'General corrosion' noted a few previous as an advisory.
A turn up for the books this van was a RWD beasty, a saving grace.

So 460 punds later I drove it off the driveway and headed for the M6 home.

Well lads, its like waking up the morning after a night night where you pulled a 9/10 and woke up to find a dodgy looking 3/10 beside you.

This poor transit was worn out, everything is need of some TLC.

Well I didnt want to spend any money until I was sure this van was a decent runner, a trip to manchester on the weekend after purchase went well. The van drove well, got up to speed eventually and ate up the miles.

All is well. I got on to Carparts4less and got a full service set, oil, filters, discs and pads.

4 new tyres as the single tyre I had inspected on the night of purchase was the only new one on the thing and the ther 3 were shot. now I have 5 good tyres, just need to get the spare fitted.

I aired the van out to rid it of the musty smell in the back.

So on closer inspection the list of rust eaten areas increased significantly , with an MoT due end of April, this is now a project with a timeline of little grace.

Out came the plylining this week, it was rotten, hence the musty smell. back to metal in the back with a clear view of where to tackle.

Pictures to come once i find a new hosting place, its ages since i used photobucket.

Lots of work happening this weekend to sort the rust.
mini_mayhem

Re: Mk6 a folly,for racing

Postby ned » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Post pictures direct to the forum, bottom of The reply page, upload attachment :wink: so are you a mancunian or was just visiting?
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 pm

:shock: At least you have half a chance, with it being LWB, that it wasn't built in Southampton, so maybe the metal worm is manageable :mrgreen:

I'm just praying for you, that it's not a 135ps TDCi :shock: :P You'll need to keep Ned and wojciech on speed dial, if it is :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Altransit wrote::shock:

I'm just praying for you, that it's not a 135ps TDCi :shock: :P You'll need to keep Ned and wojciech on speed dial, if it is :D

He would be better off throwing the phone away incase it cathes fire when welding if its a 135 :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Altransit wrote::shock: At least you have half a chance, with it being LWB, that it wasn't built in Southampton, so maybe the metal worm is manageable :mrgreen:

When reading about the viewing the first thing that came to mind was the road to hell to buy a tdci :lol: :lol: I remember that trip :twisted:
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 pm

A TDCi built in Southampton would be the worst kind of nightmare, hopefully, this one is neither 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby mini_mayhem » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:43 am

2.4 TDDI D2F2 thankfully, its running well but I think it could be better

Ned, i'm in the west midlands, so only visiting
mini_mayhem

Postby stevo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:05 pm

mini_mayhem wrote:2.4 TDDI D2F2 thankfully, its running well but I think it could be better

Ned, i'm in the west midlands, so only visiting

Where in the Midlands are you? There’s a transit centre in netherton which is handy for a lot of stuff. Plus there’s a guy on here making replacements panels for the mk6/mk7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Formely ibanez2005

Your's is the new Ford Transit!

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mini_mayhem » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Yeah ive heard about the transit centre.
Redditch is base camp
mini_mayhem

Postby stevo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:16 pm

mini_mayhem wrote:Yeah ive heard about the transit centre.
Redditch is base camp

That’s not too far away then, they’re pretty good price wise, always worth a phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Formely ibanez2005

Your's is the new Ford Transit!

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mini_mayhem » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Well, after 18months or so it is time tonput the van up for sale as I have no need for it and have run out of money.
there was a hge amount of welding done to bring it all back together and the was a great runner, which made me want to start making the van my own,
I had started fitting new seats to it and have a light bar ready to fit and a proper sound system to fit, but that will have to be an opportunity for the next owner.
I did get a benefit from the LED lights in the load area but i think they arent much cop in daylight.
I looked after it as best I could with full service done and a clutch planned. I truely thought I had have this van a few years.

In early forgot about the racing stripes I had to go on it and loads more.

I did about 8,000 miles in it moving race bikes and diy materials, it was awesome.

It all started coming undone when the fuel pump gave up In August and since I have managed to repair it and get it running but it keeps throwing one thing after another and it broken my resolve. I'm sure if the FIP timing solenoid is fitted it'll be a great runner again, but I havent the stamina to take it all off again, event thouh i have the genuine part bought and sitting here with me!

here are some long over due pics. there'll be a for sale post soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mini_mayhem

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!