*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel lines on Lucas to bosch conversion

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Lucas to bosch conversion

Postby george1958 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi guys,
I have got myself a bosch manual pump 'model no' 0 460414141'. I am about to fit this pump to my 1997 transit vg 2.5 t diesel, after having a bad run with the original Lucas epic fuel pump that is currently in it. (Third one actually).
My concerns are..
1. Can i use the existing injector lines from the pump to injectors. It appears that the Bosch use abcd in anti clockwise direction (looking from the back) and the original Lucas pump is 1,2 and 3,4 not consecutive like the Bosch (looking from the back)..
2. The inlet and return lines from the pump to the filter are different. Is it possible to purchace a prefabricated set of lines or do i need to make it. On the Bosch pump it has just a basic banjo connector where you slide on and clamp the hose, were as the filter end has the same type connector as the original Lucas pump end.(i dont know the name of it).
Any advise will be greatly appreciated,
Cheers George.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
george1958

Fuel lines on Lucas to bosch conversion

Postby george1958 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Hi guys,
I have got myself a bosch manual pump 'model no' 0 460414141'. I am about to fit this pump to my 1997 transit vg 2.5 t diesel, after having a bad run with the original Lucas epic fuel pump that is currently in it. (Third one actually).
My concerns are..
1. Can i use the existing injector lines from the pump to injectors. It appears that the Bosch use abcd in anti clockwise direction (looking from the back) and the original Lucas pump is 1,2 and 3,4 not consecutive like the Bosch (looking from the back)..
2. The inlet and return lines from the pump to the filter are different. Is it possible to purchace a prefabricated set of lines or do i need to make it. On the Bosch pump it has just a basic banjo connector where you slide on and clamp the hose, were as the filter end has the same type connector as the original Lucas pump end.(i dont know the name of it).
Any advise will be greatly appreciated,
Cheers George.

george1958

Re: Fuel lines on Lucas to bosch conversion

Postby 00353theking » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:33 am

Injector pipes will work with a bit of bending, the filter to the bosch pump pipes you need the ones from the bosch pump for comfort ,
You can cou the lucas ones and make them fit to the bosch ive done it before on the vg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
00353theking
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby george1958 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:58 am

00353theking wrote:Injector pipes will work with a bit of bending, the filter to the bosch pump pipes you need the ones from the bosch pump for comfort ,
You can cou the lucas ones and make them fit to the bosch ive done it before on the vg

Thanks for info, just one other thing. The injector fuel line out ports. Am i right with the sequence. Bosch being A,B,C,D in an anti clockwise direction and the old Lucas being A,B and C,D top to bottom.

george1958

Postby 00353theking » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:24 am

To be honest i cant remember but they will work its been about 2 years since i done the last one , did you get the filter pipes with the bosch pump ?
Some of them have different fittings where they go into the filter but you can change them with the lucas ones heat the pipe and put the push ends into them , where are you based im in sydney

00353theking
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby george1958 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:00 am

I only recieved the pump, throttle cable and pedal. The pump has just simple bango fittings and a bit of flexible hose that appear to of been randomly cut. The filter and original hoses are a thinner diameter and hard plastic type with a small o ring/olive type fitting. But it appears the connecting points on the bosch won't allow the Lucas pipes to reach..
I live in Toowoomba.

george1958

Postby 00353theking » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:07 am

Yes i know what you mean , ask on the fourm mabey someone in the uk will post you the plastic ones for the bosch ,
even the older ones with the banjo fittings on the filter side will work by replaceing them with the lucas ends that push in ,i done this a few times before

00353theking
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby george1958 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:20 am

Thanks, ill do that.
Muchly appreciated
Cheers George

george1958

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:51 am

EPIC and BOSCH pipes are not the same, but can be used.

Get the injector pipes on with the pump still loose, then get the pump bolted up and then tighten the connections.

Its perfectly acceptable to make a hybrid pipe with a bit of 8mm ID flexible fuel hose between the filter housing side and the injection pump side - or (if you can find them) you could buy the fuel pipe for a bosch pump for your age of van.
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Chug » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:18 pm

When fitting the lucas injector pipes to the bosch pump, they fit in the same position as they would on the epic, but it is a fiddly feckin job, remove the clamps between the pipes and loosen the unions at the injectors to make it easier, the only issue is the bottom one nearest the engine will need a bit of a tweak upwards, the others should just about line up.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:12 pm

With everything left slack its fairly easy... get everything on before you do anything up.
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits