*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.4 mk7 starting trouble

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2.4 mk7 starting trouble

Postby speedmunky » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:38 pm

Having some more issues, recently changed the prv, scab and sensor as it was hunting really bad and started cutting out, and after the whole farce of changing them I couldn’t get it to start, had someone come have a look who said it could be the egr stopping it as it was coming up with a dtc for it. He gave me one to try which worked and after getting pushed to the limit with it I eventually got it off and changed but it still does the same thing as before. It does start if you pull it but refuses to start under its own power. It also stalls if you let it idle but the tiniest bit of throttle it’s fine. It tries to start but it’s like when it starts it instantly cuts out. All the lights stay on on the dash so I don’t think it’s the ignition switch that’s the issue like I’ve read. It’s never had any drivability issues prior to this happening and it went from not bad hunting to then almost dying at idle to starting to cut out in literally 2 week.

When it did get pulled and had it running the live data looked alright, the desired fuel pressure was within 5% of the actual fuel pressure, after about 5 mins it actually did idle perfect and it started on the key, once it cooled down to within the temp ranges to do the learns it wouldn’t start again, had it pulled again to get it going but it wouldn’t idle right and with needing to turn it off to start a learn you then can’t start the engine without pressing the pedals which fails the procedure on forscan

The only thing I can think of is it’s a software issue but apart from that I’ve tried everything else I can think of. And to make it worse the mot runs out on Thursday :(

This is what it does

https://youtu.be/XcRkXlQXt84
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.4 mk7 starting trouble

Postby knobby1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:27 pm

What's a "scab & sensor"..?? I'm assuming you mean you've replaced the SCV, PRV and rail pressure sensor.?? The learns need to be completed successfully or it will never run properly. The rail pressure sensors rarely fail so refit the old one and try again.

Have you done an injector leak-off test..??

Were the replaced items genuine Ford or Denso items..?? If not, you're probably wasting your time and money.

Never "Pull or bump" start a transit, they have a nasty habit of jumping cam chain teeth, if this happens, poor starting will be the least of your problems.

Were there any non fuel DTC's prior to starting any of the work..?? If so, they need to be sorted prior to any attempt of doing the learns.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby speedmunky » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:14 pm

I meant scv but that pesky autocorrect must have changed it but the pull start was the last resort as I did read the bump start post at the top before hand.

The only code that was present which was from when I got it which was for the egr and the only code present now is the pump not calibrated. I tried doing them but it couldn’t be done ‘cause it wouldn’t start after it asked me to turn the engine off and restart it after it had cooled down enough after pulling it

I got recommended to go to a place after making the mistake of buying the bits from tpuk and having the scv fail right out of the box. It came to £216 for all 3 things BUT I’m not sure if it was different part numbers or just my luck but the first rail sensor showed a fault code saying short to ground/malfunction, took it back and they said they sell hundreds of them and swapped it, that one did the same thing but the original one worked and didn’t come up with any codes and lets just say the conversation got a little bit heated taking the replacement back

And no I’ve not done a leak off test, I’m guessing that involves pipes into bottles from the connectors on top of the injectors? If so do the pipes need blocking off that get taken off or will they be fine as they are?
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby speedmunky » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Update

I managed to get it started after about half hour of trying the other day, had to keep it alive with the throttle a little until it warmed up a bit and once it gets to about 75c on the coolant temp after a few mins of holding the revs it idles perfect.
Managed to do a pump learn which it said was successful, pump learn value on the data went from 0.18 to 0.06 so I’m assuming it did something (pic added of the live data at idle)

The head temp got too hot to do a pilot so I left it as it was late

Came out today to try the pilot, took a few mins to get going but same procedure with the revs, after a few mins was fine again and stayed alive and idled perfect.
Went to do a pilot after getting the head temp within range, went to do a pilot, went through 1-5 alright but when it went to do 1 again it started hunting and threw up a code 67 on forscan. Tried again then got code 35 which said cylinder balancing (I’ll add another pic at idle) but with a little bit of throttle they all even out to around the same (all less than -1.000 and +1.000)

After the failed pilot the pilot correction went from 67 to 35 so again I’m guessing it did something

My question is, do I need to be looking at something else for the cause of it acting like it does or is it the pilot correction why it’s acting like that? I did start to question the maf readings but I’m not sure
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:39 pm

An injector leak-off test will give a fair idea of injector health.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby speedmunky » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:59 pm

knobby1 wrote:An injector leak-off test will give a fair idea of injector health.

Lord Knobrot

I had someone come have a play with it and he said get the injectors tested after trying a few things, I had them tested, 3 were fine and 1 was over fuelling. They repaired it and I put them back in but it still did the same. Changed the starter motor as trying to get it started all that time wasn’t too good for it. To get it to start you have to use easy start and it’ll rev fine and smooth but once you let off it dies straight away. Is there a chance it could be the fuel pump? Even though the actual and desired fuel pressure seem to be around the same or could it be something to do with the pilot learn values perhaps?
speedmunky
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits