*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Need back-up light plug for transmission, 1995 Transit

Need a certain part? Ask on here!

Moderator: Luke

Need back-up light plug for transmission, 1995 Transit

Postby hetman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:30 pm

Would any of you kind blokes have this plug lying around? I need one in order to pass inspection. 1995 Transit 2.5 di 5-speed manual transmission. Need the plug and about 6+ inches of wiring so I can splice into my harness.

I'm located in Warsaw, Poland.

And while I'm on the subject of needed parts, my van didn't have the rod to activate the spare wheel lift assembly when I bought it a year ago. I'd very much like to have this rod since I can't use the spare tire/wheel assembly without it, and it seems to have a strange type of fitting in it.

thank you for your help. If I can't locate the back-up light plug to the transmission, I'll have to jerry-rig something because the van won't pass inspection without backup lights.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Need back-up light plug for transmission, 1995 Transit

Postby Chug » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:50 pm

Send Minor Matt a message, I'm sure he will have one, and maybe a rod too.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby hetman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks, mate! Will do.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:28 pm

Not at the moment... sorry
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Chug » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:58 pm

Ok try Adam then. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=202985&p=1707703
If not I might be able to get one.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby hetman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:22 pm

Chug wrote:Ok try Adam then. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=202985&p=1707703
If not I might be able to get one.

Chug, that post of Adam's is 2 1/2 years old and the van appears to be earlier than mine (Mk 5). What I'm concerned about is the plug itself to the transmission might not fit my van. Today I was at a friend's who has a Mk 4 ambulance rotting away and I checked the plug there. The transmission, though a 5-speed like mine, is a different variety and has a completely different plug setup; nothing works or will interchange with my van.

If you would be able to help me with this plug, I'd be grateful, as I've nearly run out of hope that I can get one. I've tried different parts stores to no avail. I even tried to make something fit into that female outlet/switch in the transmission but no luck.

I've attached a photo of my transmission when I had it out last year to replace the clutch. The transmission I saw today on the Mk3 or Mk4 van was different, and had a completely different setup for this reverse light cable. Nothing like I need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:12 pm

Take the switch and cable from your friend then? The gearboxes are the same so the switch should swap straight over
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hetman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:21 pm

MinorMatt wrote:Take the switch and cable from your friend then? The gearboxes are the same so the switch should swap straight over

What I observed today is that they are NOT the same at all. The switch in the transmission was in a totally different location. I couldn't find the male plug at all that I needed. I would have taken it if they were the same. I spent 3 hours to go there, jack up the van, get under there and look, and drive home empty-handed. the picture I posted above is my transmission. The transmission in my friend's van didn't look the same. I should have taken a picture of it to show you.

I'm going to try to rig something up using nails for the contacts, I guess.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:29 pm

This has been confusing me, especially given what Matt said about that van having the same transmission as mine. It didn't look the same and I couldn't locate the point in the transmission where the backup light switch is (didn't see it at all), and the wiring harness must have been missing as well, because there were no cables dangling anywhere around which would be the plug that fits into the transmission. I really don't know what's going on. But there was no cable there for me to grab.

I also took a photo of the engine. I remember someone telling me these engines cannot be broken, and even if a cam belt breaks, it won't damage the engine. Well, something catastrophic happened to this one. Mileage is 300K km (180K miles).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:06 am

Adam's thread is only a couple weeks old? and g/box should be the same.

I'll try and have a look at the breaker transit tomorrow and see if there is still a plug on it.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby hetman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:41 am

Chug wrote:Adam's thread is only a couple weeks old? and g/box should be the same.

I'll try and have a look at the breaker transit tomorrow and see if there is still a plug on it.

You are right. This time when I clicked on that link for Adam's van, it's as you say. I don't know how to explain it but I had clicked on an older link from 2018 which had a recent reply. Sorry for that. I did post and ask Adam if he has that part.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Adam mk1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:29 pm

Sent reply on my breaking post cheers chug, but not sure i can help, wiring i want complete incase i want to fit engine box in something else, spare wheel handle not sure my van has, and bonnet lock not locking could be lack of oil, Adam
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby hetman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:27 pm

Adam mk1 wrote:Sent reply on my breaking post cheers chug, but not sure i can help, wiring i want complete incase i want to fit engine box in something else, spare wheel handle not sure my van has, and bonnet lock not locking could be lack of oil, Adam

OK, thanks Adam.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 am

I looked today but no luck finding the plug on my spare truck, but I checked my other truck and it's just two wires and they are earth/ground for the lights when reverse is selected so you should be able to rig something up.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby hetman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 pm

Chug wrote:I looked today but no luck finding the plug on my spare truck, but I checked my other truck and it's just two wires and they are earth/ground for the lights when reverse is selected so you should be able to rig something up.

Yes, that is what I'll try to do. Those prongs have to be the exact size required, and I've tried a few options unsuccessfully but today I will try to fit some nails to find the exact same size needed, and I'm optimistic that I can make it work using the correct size nail.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Parts Wanted