*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK2 Ford Connect MPG

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

MK2 Ford Connect MPG

Postby sharkinator15 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:44 pm

hi Guys

What are you getting on your MK2 Connects for MPG?

I have a 2016 1.5 TDCI Euro 6 non ad blue, 101Bhp, 200 Leader spec

Mines listed as having an MPG of 58.9MPG or 4.7l/100 which on a should give me 730 Miles per tank.

on aveg im getting 38.4 MPG which is only around 446miles per tank.

the van does have roof racks and tubes but even before them it wasn’t getting over 500miles. it can get pretty heavy by then I have tested it with nothing in and nothing on top and best I did was 520miles on a full tank.

is there anything obvious or simple i could do/ check to get this to be improved?
2016 Ford Transit Connect 1.5 TDCI (non Ad Blue) Leader 200 L1 Euro 6 but needs attention :mrgreen:
2021 Ford Transit Custom Limited 170Ps.
sharkinator15
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: MK2 Ford Connect MPG

Postby bortaf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Jesus i get 38 form my 53 plate 1.8 !
i've lots of 1.4 TDCi fusions and fiesta and they get about 53 round town, 65 A roads and just over 70 mpg on a motorway run if that helps at all ? iused them all to run scrap so thats loaded with the equive of 4 people in it all the time.
One thing i would say is when it comes to "official" figures, take them then devide by bullshit (thats roughly 3/4 in old money) and then you tend to get the reallity of it :wink:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sharkinator15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm

Cheers bortaf.

Its since I have been finding more and more bad workmanship on the van I’m starting to think maybe something is very wrong with the van. it drives pretty normal and it’s got some pull for a 1.5L.
I’m just wondering what could cause such a drop from the office figures. I know they need to be taken with a grain of salt and shouldn’t be relied on to much but I think mines pretty far out.

it does have roof racks with ladders and tubes but looking into it this should only impact up to 10%. The rear isn’t fully loaded but it can get quite heavy.

I have a few more planned upgrades I want to do but before doing them I’d rather make sure the engine is 100%.

I’m doing roughly 2500miles a month so being able to get another tank or two of economy in would be very welcomed.
2016 Ford Transit Connect 1.5 TDCI (non Ad Blue) Leader 200 L1 Euro 6 but needs attention :mrgreen:
sharkinator15
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby xillent » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 pm

I've a 2015 model and only get 470 miles out of a tank (or less in the winter)
xillent
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sharkinator15 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:35 pm

so been doing some testing, current test is to drive but at a max rev of 2000rpm. which means im limited to around 63mph. ive been driving mostly motorways and currently im due to hit around 520miles.
the van has nothing in the back so its as light as possible, has the roof tubes and rack but no ladder. tires are pumped to PSI indicated for loaded van so might be able to get different figures on slightly lower rear tire pressures. dont drive with AC on.
i do have a a upgraded sound system but doubt vwery much that that will affect the MPG, it affects the battery for sure as i cant park it for longer than 3 days without ricking the battery going flat.
recently had a full service and had all filters changed. i have michelin primacy 4 tires on it currenty which have been amazing in all weather other than heavy snow where it doesnt do well at all.

id like to tweak it to get better proformance but im worried with having it remapped that it wont be as fun to drive as it is currently.
sharkinator15
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kenton » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:36 pm

Nothing to do with the MPG question, but either your battery is on it's way out, or you have a drain somewhere. No matter the size or quality of your sound system, it should not cause the battery to go flat being parked up and the van not being used :!:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bortaf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:50 pm

sharkinator15 wrote:so been doing some testing, current test is to drive but at a max rev of 2000rpm. which means im limited to around 63mph. ive been driving mostly motorways and currently im due to hit around 520miles.
the van has nothing in the back so its as light as possible, has the roof tubes and rack but no ladder. tires are pumped to PSI indicated for loaded van so might be able to get different figures on slightly lower rear tire pressures. dont drive with AC on.
i do have a a upgraded sound system but doubt vwery much that that will affect the MPG, it affects the battery for sure as i cant park it for longer than 3 days without ricking the battery going flat.
recently had a full service and had all filters changed. i have michelin primacy 4 tires on it currenty which have been amazing in all weather other than heavy snow where it doesnt do well at all.

id like to tweak it to get better proformance but im worried with having it remapped that it wont be as fun to drive as it is currently.

A large power hungry sound system will drain the battery and replacing that power will put a strain on the alt and thet WILL affect economy :wink:
3 days aint right at all, you have other issues, possably the uprated ICE instal, fix the problem you know about before worrying about problem you "may" have :!:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sharkinator15 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:00 pm

Kenton wrote:Nothing to do with the MPG question, but either your battery is on it's way out, or you have a drain somewhere. No matter the size or quality of your sound system, it should not cause the battery to go flat being parked up and the van not being used :!:

it recently had a battery health teast done and it got 86% heath. i believe the battery is a few years old now so i guess it is possible.
sharkinator15
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby sharkinator15 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:17 pm

bortaf wrote:
sharkinator15 wrote:so been doing some testing, current test is to drive but at a max rev of 2000rpm. which means im limited to around 63mph. ive been driving mostly motorways and currently im due to hit around 520miles.

A large power hungry sound system will drain the battery and replacing that power will put a strain on the alt and thet WILL affect economy :wink:
3 days aint right at all, you have other issues, possably the uprated ICE instal, fix the problem you know about before worrying about problem you "may" have :!:

I have been wondering if i should upgrade the alternator to something a little more beefy. but recently been finding the van a little small and thinking of getting something bigger so not really wanting to spend the money on it at this minute.
the problem is finding the problem. its been into the garge a few times now and it passess all the health checks and inspections. i have found some bad wiring patch jobs done in a few areas which made me thing it might be a grounding issue. i have done a few test to check for ground issues and didnt get any out of normal. the only comment ive had on the ICE install is that some people prefer to ground the amp directly to the battery rather than the body work.

its only a 300w amp (PBR300x2) and 10" sub (P3S-1x10) with upgraded 6.5" door speakers and head unit (AVH-Z92000DAB). but if upgrading the alternator will help improve the fuel eco then its something ill get onto ASAP. i do around 3000miles a month so hopefully it pays off pretty quickly. but id need to try find some kind of bench mark to aim for.
sharkinator15
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bortaf » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Again fix the problem first, upgrade later, a bigger alt wont stop the battery going flat every 3 days and it wont make the fuel consumption better, it will still have the same size load on it "if" that is the issue with the MPG, as to the garage test? do it your self, check out on YT how to do a amp draw test, all you need is a multimeter and remove fuses one at a time, TBH your results of the battery having 86% heath make me think they are using one of the cheap chinease battery testers and they are shite!! you need a propper load tester or a propper run up/down/up battery capacity test, those small handhelp chinease testers simply dont load the battery enough to test it.
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sharkinator15 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:23 pm

bortaf wrote:Again fix the problem first, upgrade later, a bigger alt wont stop the battery going flat every 3 days and it wont make the fuel consumption better, it will still have the same size load on it "if" that is the issue with the MPG, as to the garage test? do it your self, check out on YT how to do a amp draw test, all you need is a multimeter and remove fuses one at a time, TBH your results of the battery having 86% heath make me think they are using one of the cheap chinease battery testers and they are shite!! you need a proper load tester or a proper run up/down/up battery capacity test, those small handhelp chinease testers simply dont load the battery enough to test it.

The battery health test was done at halfords, so not sure what kit they use to test and with it being that cold at the minute im not really keen to be standing outside testing.
I did recently buy a AUTOOL x60 Car hud. I've been driving with it for about 2 weeks now and the ave MPG is 28mpg. my recent driving has been with empty back and just roof tubes and 2 trips a day of 80miles each way on 97% motorways (70mph). the live MPG data tho will fluctuate between 6mpg and 60mpg while driving, although it tends to manly be between 35mpg and 50mpg.

Could a sensor be an issue?

Im not 100% convinced on the AUTOOL unit, it says 100miles after a 73mile drive and i havent checked if there is a setting to fix. there is a speed one tho.
sharkinator15
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Connect