*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What did you do to your connect today?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: What did you do to your connect today?

Postby KowalskiT230 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:46 pm

Went and collected her from the MOT centre nice fresh ticket now to get fetteling an improving :D
KowalskiT230
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kenton » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:55 am

Booked MOT for this weekend, then booked the van in with Vantuner for beginning of March! Can't wait :D 8)
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kenton » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Passed with a couple of very minor advisories. Very slight leak from sump gasket (which i knew about for ages - nothing new) and apparently a very small hole in the rear exhaust box...? Not something I noticed last time it was up on the ramp three weeks ago. Both points will be inspected again, and replaced / fixed as and when I have the ramp time :wink: On to Vantuner next month :D 8)
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby blue estate » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:24 pm

Finally put steels back on with the Toyo tyres on and by god they’re a lot better than Mich
Also put my facelift rear lights on

Sent from my truck some where
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Kenton » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:48 am

The Toyo's are very good value, and a really good quality tyre. Only went for the Avon's this time because I got an even better deal. The face-lift rear lights are a nice easy upgrade too 8)
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kenton » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:13 pm

Just got back from seeing Martyn at Vantuner! What can I say... wow. Was a pleasure to meet the man himself, and the re-mapping session went very well. The results are staggering for not touching the engine physically!! What an amazing improvement :D Goes like stink. The general feel of the engines performance has improved no end, much much smoother power delivery driving normally, but when you put your foot down in second gear especially, it takes off! 1st gear is more of a launch rather than a pull away! :lol: The run down the motorway was very enjoyable. Big shout out to the guru that is Martyn, and if anyone else is contemplating getting this done - do it! Simple. In the end I was quoted around 115+ BHP up form the standard 90. :shock: 8) :mrgreen:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby eddiez » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:12 am

I added some Noico mat to the rear quarter window-area panels of my 2013 TC. I am getting some resonance noise at highway speeds, and figured I'd start with the easier of two likely problem areas. Have not yet driven with the Noico.

The other problem area is the large shield below the fuel tank. It's slightly loose on its mount, and, a whole lot vibrate-y, just from its design. I can't really apply Noico under there, so, I'm thinking of painting on Plasti-Dip, after sandpaper scuffing and cleanup. Since it's not really a heat shield, I don't think the Plasti-Dip would present a problem, other than possibly coming off. Does anyone have experience with taming vibrations from this shield?
Screenshot_20210308-184841.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eddiez
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby LostinTransit » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:36 pm

Wasn't Done Today, But was done Last Sunday Afternoon. The wife and I had always wanted a blue TCXL but when we purchased the 2015 van, Ford never made that color for the XL short van version. So we finally traded the white 2015 Ford Transit Connect XL for a Blue 2021 Ford Transit Connect XL. The best thing about this trade, I'm finally able to see the speedometer. The 2015 model had these two hoods over the speedometer and tac which was very hard to see when the steering wheels was lowered. The new van has an open cockpit which allows for a better view of the speedometer and garages in general.

cc_2020fov320063_01_640_uv.jpg

Although the attached image is a factory image, it is what we ended up getting Sunday afternoon. The 2021 van listed for 27K but with military discount and other discounts, we're looking at total price of 19K at 6% through our credit union. So we'll have the van paid off in less than 2 years. Currently the van has 121 miles on it and we both love the redesigned front end as well as the dash cluster.

2155017.jpg

Attached a chart I worked up with the support fromTacomaworld.com Here it shows that there's very little difference in going from 215/55/16 tires to 215/50/17 tires. There is one main difference is that by going to the 215/50/17 tires, we'll save fuel economy because these tires will rotate less than the 215/55/16 tires.

sparco_terra.jpg

First things first and this time around, Going to get a set of Sparco 17'' wheels w/ Nitto 215/50ZR17 tires. The 2015 van had 16 Sparco wheels with Maxxis Victra 215/55R16 Tires. Then we're going to add a tablet/laptop mount on the passenger side for navigation purposes. Oh boy here we go again.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:56 pm

Not that it was done today, but emailed Nitto tire yesterday to ask if our configured setup will work on the van. The Nitto spokesperson said that they do not recommend using their 215/50/ZR17 95 XL tires on Sparco 17'' wheels for our van. Did some research afterward and found out sites like summetracing, Jegs, carid, rockauto & tirerack all list options for 16's 17's 18's and one19'' wheels. But for factory option list 16 & 17 inch wheels.

So here's what's been happening, When I contact parts retailers they are rejecting my thoughts with mounting 17'' with 215/50/ZR17 tires on our van. So I emailed Ford & our dealership and I asked them;

"What's the Difference Between a Ford Transit Connect XL Short Wheel Base Cargo Van & A Ford Transit Connect XL Short Wheel Base Wagon?"

Their response:

The main difference between the short wheel based cargo Van and the short wheel base personal Wagon is that the Transit Cargo Van is designed to carry cargo, while the Transit personal Wagon is built to carry people.

In other words, both the cargo van and passenger van are identical, just one carried cargo while the other carries people. So next time I need parts, I'll list this option: "2021 Ford Transit Connect Short Wheel Base Wagon" by doing this More wheel and tire options are available to us.

Next on the list, it's only need a few days of driving and we're seeing an excess amount of brake dust on the front wheels. In order to correct this and instead of taking the van to the dealership only to have them install a set of crappy pads, we've went all out, or just half way all out. Going with and just ordered a set of the Powerstop carbon fiber/ceramic pads. Instead of sending these pads to our location, I've contacted my nephew in Western North Carolina who's an inspiring mechanic and has his own shop. So from now on, any repairs or upgrades will be handled by him and all parts will be sent to his shop. Win Win, road trip that include upgrades.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:05 pm

You've Got That Strut

This morning, we've been working on locating a tower strut brace for the 2021 Ford Transit Connect. We've located several forums that suggest some have added this strut tower support but have not seen any image nor have they said what years they've added this strut to. But contacting FSWERKS out of CAL, I've just located what appears to be a 2012+ Ford Transit Connect with the FSWERKS strut bar installed.
imageedit_6_9196243622.jpg

2012ish Ford Transit Connect With FSWERKS Strut Bar Installed

Apparently FSWERKS and other sites feel that there's not interest in creating any of these products for the consumer, so it's unclear as to if they have discontinued making these strut tower bars.

Also, sent a contact to eJudge van as well as Arron Vaccar just to see if they have anything to offer. Because it's been very difficult to locate these types of parts for the van, I've turned to the shop to see if they can weld up something based on a few measurements of the van. We'll see how this works out.

Also, this morning, it seems that the passenger seat doesn't want to stay in the first slot forward position. When one sits in the seat it always clicks one notch back which in my case is too far back. So I've found another van blog who used body spacers to create a platform to lift the seat up from the floor. Not ideal but he used 2 spacers on the front and 3'' spacers on the rear of the seat rails. I'm thinking of just using the 2 inch spacer/biscuit on the rear seat rail to force the seat forward.

I've looked into products like wedged skateboard pads and sports hockey pucks.. Right now anything's possible.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:25 pm

"You Got DECKED"

This morning topic deals what storage and some sort of bed frame. I for one do not like using those flimsy metal frames or trying to create/build something out of wood. So I recall something at the SEMA show a few years back. The company is called DECKED and they manufacture slide in mount up storage system for trucks and some larger vans.
imageedit_10_7184632162.jpg

This is an image of one of the DECKED units in the back of a Transit Cargo van. What I'm getting from this picture is there could be room for alterations so this unit fits into the back of our van. But I wanted to do more. My thoughts is to have the main unit as seen above with sliding draws out the rear of the van.. But ad a second unit between the rear unit and the front seats. The second unit would be turned 180 degree as to allow the draws to be pulled out from either the drivers side or the passengers side.

I've contacted DECKED in the past about this but never got a reply. So I sent them another email suggesting they look into the creation of a smaller DECKED unit that fits in the smaller transit connect vans. if this doesn't pan out, we may opt to get creative and utilize one of the smaller preexisting units for the van.

While on reddit, this topic was down voted claiming this setup has alot of wasted space. To us and as I said above, if we don't want wood or metal supports, then plastic is our next best options. Plus this system is already to install just need to locate one that close enough to the TC's width.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:35 pm

Loose a foot plus of height in the back of a connect, and you will have no roof height left. If you are literally after a bed on wheels, then it's gonna be perfect! Not sure i understand this vision.... :? :?:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:21 am

Kenton wrote:If you are literally after a bed on wheels, then it's gonna be perfect!

My vision is all about retaining a low center of gravity and not stressing or overloading the interior sides and roof of the van. Keeping it low and slammed. A roof over our heads, a place to sleep and fuel in the tank.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:55 pm

A Lot being done in the next few weeks/months:

We've taken the plunge and decided to run with the shims under the rear of the passenger front seat. I've already ordered a set and had them sent to the shop. Along with the shims, we've also ordered a set of the Powerstop carbon fiber/ceramic brake pads to install on the van. Although I'm disappointed in what Powerstop had to say, they did confirm that at some point they will offer custom powder coated calipers.

This means at some point we'll swap the factory calipers for the custom powder coated calipers from Powerstop when they have them ready.. For the time being. having the CF & C pads installed on the van will eliminate the massive amount of brake dust we're getting on the front rotors, we may have some exciting news about acquiring a strut tower brace for the connect, we have our shop designing/welding a brace and a totally unexpected manufacture thinking of designing a brace also. One will be designed before the other. But with the hopes of introducing a totally new product for the van.

Something easy this weekend, we've lined up to have the vans front half windshield tinted along with full tints on the two side windows. Least we may forget, we'll be ordering those 17'' Sparco wheels with an undisclosed tire brand.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:24 pm

What have you done today, or last week? Are you planning to race this van as well as sleep in it? I think it maybe going off subject. Can you make a new thread for this? Just an idea. All the best still....
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler