*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 2.5Di won't fire up

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk5 2.5Di won't fire up

Postby Nonsense » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Hello, guys. My transit 1995 mk5 2.5DI won't fire up. Lately it had trouble with just a clicking noise when I tried to start it. It would sometimes start up immediately or just do a clicking noise from the starter motor area. The anti theft light flashes as normal. When I start cranking the handbrake light ( ! ) comes on. I think this is somewhat a common issue with these vans as I scrolled many similar topics with exact problem but with no follow up. Today I opened the hood and saw that the starter motor bolts were loose. It was at a garage some months ago for bendix?(don't know how it's called in English) replacement. Probably the mechanic just screwed them just by hand. Anyways I tightened them up. Checked and cleaned all cables but they seemed OK anyways. Same problem continues. Sometimes just clicks, other times it turns over but does not fire up. When it does crank over it's not sluggish at all. Any ideas where else to look at? Also I noticed the glowing plug light doesn't come on when I turn the key in on position.
Nonsense
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk5 2.5Di won't fire up

Postby Chug » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:30 pm

The red light on starting is for the low brake fluid not the handbrake, it does a circuit test on cranking and the light comes on. There is no handbrake light and no glow plugs or light either.

Your problem sounds like the starter solenoid is worn and sometimes it doesn't push the starter pinion gear into mesh with the flywheel so you get the clicking sound, you can replace it reasonably easily once the starter is removed.

Have you tried giving it a sniff of easy start?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Nonsense » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi Chug. I probably will take off the starter and take a look at the solenoid and probably replace it. But could it be the solenoid if the van doesn't fire up even when the solenoid engages the starter? Or I might have to replace or rebuild the starter too?
Nonsense
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chug » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:09 pm

Non starting could be a number of things, that is why I said to try a sniff of easy start because if it fires on easy start it means the mechanical side of things and timing are ok its just a lack of fuel, but if no fire on easy start then it becomes more complicated.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Nonsense » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:03 pm

Today removed the starter. Starter solenoid cover was loose and I discovered the big spring which is inside had slipped and the mechanism got stuck. Took care of it and the clicking sound when trying to start is now gone. Disassembled starter and cleaned rotor and gave it a scrub. Brushes have plenty of life left and everything looks clean. Put starter back. Recharged battery and bled all the injectors(I did bleed them in random order if it matters). The thing still doesn't want to fire up.
Nonsense
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:44 pm

Is it now turning over reliably at a good speed?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nonsense » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:06 pm

MinorMatt wrote:Is it now turning over reliably at a good speed?

Yes, it turns over pretty good but nothing. Not even a caugh. The injectors do squirt fuel and didn't notice any bubbles when I bled them.
Nonsense
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:38 pm

If fuel is getting to the injectors, that leaves timing or compression.

If you were to give it a small squirt of WD-40 or similar in the air intake does it fire?

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:51 pm

It is difficult to search for the cause on the Internet.
There are two reasons why the engine does not start: there is nothing to burn and nothing to ignite.
Fuel is supplied to the combustion chambers of a diesel engine by a high-pressure pump through injectors, and it is ignited by the high temperature of the air in the combustion chamber at the end of the compression stroke.
If the timing belt is damaged, both conditions are violated - no fuel is supplied by the nozzles and air compression is disturbed.
Therefore, check the condition of the timing belt and the coincidence of the valve timing and injection by installing the crankshaft / flywheel, injection pump pulley and camshaft pulley on the locking rods.
If the belt is intact and the stoppers are steel according to the scheme, then try to start the engine from the tug - it is possible that the problem with the starter remains.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nonsense » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow I'll hook up two batteries and spray some wd40 in the intake and see what happens.
Nonsense
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Nonsense » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 pm

Problem solved guys. After hooking up two batteries, one being brand new and spraying easy start in the intake it still refused to start. I gave a call to a local mechanic and he solved the misery in less than a minute. The plug which goes behind the fuel pump got disconnected somehow and wasn't pushed all the way in. Thanks for your help. It turned out to be the silliest fix as in most cases. Now I got 2 batteries hooked up and starts like a dream but noticed my preheating coil icon on the dash doesn't come on when I turn the key in on position. Does it also has to do something with that plug or where should I look for the cause?
Nonsense
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:38 am

I don't know about Bulgaria - but preheater is not normal fitment in the uk. So, do you definately have one fitted? If you have its a single flame plug in the inlet manifold

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nonsense » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:55 am

I think this might be it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nonsense
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:58 am

Yes thats the flame plug

It should only activate when its cold enough to need it though

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cherniy_chack » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:21 pm

This system turns on at temperatures below -5 degrees Celsius.
In Bulgaria, not every winter there are such frosts.
But even without an electric torch device, a serviceable motor starts without problems at -15 degrees C.
And such a temperature in Bulgaria can only be high in the mountains, and you live on the Black Sea coast.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits