*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

L3H3 AWD 2020 Fuel Economy

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: L3H3 AWD 2020 Fuel Economy

Postby thebarber » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:31 pm

Ah, I didn't read the title properly missed awd
I've just filled up with premium diesel on the pretence it'll give more mpg.
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby man le-mans » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm

Does it really matter about the exact title. We are all here to help and some more than others, and to give our opinions which is also meant to help offers.

It grinds me that some people get the information they need and then don’t come back to the site to help others
MK8 L2H2 T350 TREND 68 plate silver 130bhp
Mk7 MWB M/R T350 TREND 2010 SILVER 115BHP
MK7 MWB M/R T350 2009 BLUE 115BHP (crap)
MK6 MWB M/R T280 full electric pack silver 2003 85BHP
Smiley face T reg L/R SWB ex BT
man le-mans
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ChallengeAdventures » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 pm

Not sure why you are upset, if the topic is about AWD vans (which it is) then surely discussions around 2WD vans are not relevant to the post and just muddy the waters.

Also reading the post and comments is always good advice before commenting as I am the original poster and have been interacting all the way through so not sure where you think I have not come back into the site after getting info? In fact i have updated the info on a regular basis to help others.
ChallengeAdventures
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thebarber » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 am

WTF just happened there???
Who are you referring to?
If me, I didn't see the 'AWD' in the title so was surprised that the h3 made such a difference (genuine mistake ) as my next van would probably be this height.
As for premium fuel, does this make any difference in mpg?
I had 12mls left in the tank and it took 73ltr so I suppose I'll be finding out soon.
The k02's actually put my speedo right according to GPS
Before with standard wheels/ tyres (65 sidewalls, k02's 75) it was about 3-4mph lower at 60mph on the van clock , now 1mph at most.
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ChallengeAdventures » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:13 am

thebarber wrote:WTF just happened there???
Who are you referring to?
If me, I didn't see the 'AWD' in the title so was surprised that the h3 made such a difference (genuine mistake ) as my next van would probably be this height.
As for premium fuel, does this make any difference in mpg?
I had 12mls left in the tank and it took 73ltr so I suppose I'll be finding out soon.
The k02's actually put my speedo right according to GPS
Before with standard wheels/ tyres (65 sidewalls, k02's 75) it was about 3-4mph lower at 60mph on the van clock , now 1mph at most.

I am referring to the person above who had a moan, not you at all.
ChallengeAdventures
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thebarber » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:16 am

Phew!
I thought I'd pissed on someone's chips.
Any thoughts or experience with the fuel thing then?
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ChallengeAdventures » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 am

thebarber wrote:Phew!
I thought I'd pissed on someone's chips.
Any thoughts or experience with the fuel thing then?

I really don't think premium fuel will make any difference on an engine and system designed for regular fuel. The ECU will adjust intake and fuelling based on sensors and the expected regular fuel. Any minor increase in performance and economy will be cancelled out by the additional cost.
Weight, wind(drag) and how you drive are the biggest factor to impact fuel economy.

Remaps and chips increase usability and driveability and performance but rarely get the fuel savings claimed. Over the years I have had several vehicles chipped and never seen a significant increase in economy past 5% and in reality you use that extra power for acceleration etc and waste the fuel gains. You also run the risk of overworking an engine and overheating it and reducing it's life unless you really look after it.

I only have the 2.0 130PS 2021 model L3H3 but as said I run at 3.5t most of the time and have a rack and stuff on it. I am happy with 26mpg average. on a 2WD I would expect a few more MPG in the same circumstances and a lower, lighter van should do better again. It's not just headwinds that drain fuel but sidewinds too as they put you off line requiring more fuel.

Also it's worth noting that the AWD models do not get stop/start or electric steering which both save fuel and they are about 75kg heavier to start with.
ChallengeAdventures
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thebarber » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:19 am

I'll let ye know how I get on,.
I've just had a thought, my diesel heaters gonna like the super juice :shock:
I remember being advised not to put a top box on one of my motor homes as it would reduce the mpg by approximately 5mpg.
Anyhoo have a good weekend.
Was up lakes last weekend and cracking weather, not too busy either .
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby man le-mans » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:12 am

ChallengeAdventures wrote:The AWD system makes a bigger difference than the height. Lower gearing, more weight and more friction/resistance through the driveshafts and extra transfer box etc.

Like I say my AWD L3H3 is only 2-3mpg off the official figure of 29mpg so can't really complain about that especially as it's fully loaded and has a roof rack with panels and a spare wheel up there. That won't help aerodynamics.

This post is really about the AWD model and comparing 2wd economy is not really relevant.

If it was a 2wd I would be expecting 30+

I was referring to this which is what you said. I know what the post is but people are just giving their opinion to their vans wether it’s fwd or rwd or awd. Not many awd vans about for people to compare too and maybe only 1 other on the forum.
So to just dismiss about 2wd when people are trying to help you and say it’s only awd are you wouldn’t have got any replies or help
man le-mans
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ChallengeAdventures » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:43 am

man le-mans wrote:
ChallengeAdventures wrote:The AWD system makes a bigger difference than the height. Lower gearing, more weight and more friction/resistance through the driveshafts and extra transfer box etc.

Like I say my AWD L3H3 is only 2-3mpg off the official figure of 29mpg so can't really complain about that especially as it's fully loaded and has a roof rack with panels and a spare wheel up there. That won't help aerodynamics.

This post is really about the AWD model and comparing 2wd economy is not really relevant.

I was referring to this which is what you said. I know what the post is but people are just giving their opinion to their vans wether it’s fwd or rwd or awd. Not many awd vans about for people to compare too and maybe only 1 other on the forum.
So to just dismiss about 2wd when people are trying to help you and say it’s only awd are you wouldn’t have got any replies or help

If you have a AWD transit feel free to comment or want to discuss them feel free to comment.

If all you want to do is moan about the fact I only want to discuss AWD transits economy as 2WD transits are different then go find a mirro and argue with yourself.

Titles do matter and subjects matter if you want to actually get reliable info and relevant discussions.

Otherwise this whole forum would not have titles and groups based around different vehicles and models. Because just like telling someone what a MK2 had is not relevant to a MK8 discussion on engines a 2wd chat about drive systems is not relevant to a AWD drivetrain as they are different.

Nobody else has got upset except you and there are people with AWD transits and they have been chatting on here.

If you have nothing useful to say that's relevant to the thread perhaps don't answer the thread and moan because someone wants to keep the thread on topic.

Have a good day.
ChallengeAdventures
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby man le-mans » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 am

Just stating a fact. I don’t see you trying to help people out just wanting answers
man le-mans
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dumper » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:50 am

ChallengeAdventures wrote:
man le-mans wrote:

If you have a AWD transit feel free to comment or want to discuss them feel free to comment.

If all you want to do is moan about the fact I only want to discuss AWD transits economy as 2WD transits are different then go find a mirro and argue with yourself.

Titles do matter and subjects matter if you want to actually get reliable info and relevant discussions.

Otherwise this whole forum would not have titles and groups based around different vehicles and models. Because just like telling someone what a MK2 had is not relevant to a MK8 discussion on engines a 2wd chat about drive systems is not relevant to a AWD drivetrain as they are different.

Nobody else has got upset except you and there are people with AWD transits and they have been chatting on here.

If you have nothing useful to say that's relevant to the thread perhaps don't answer the thread and moan because someone wants to keep the thread on topic.

Have a good day.

No need to get upset it sometimes helps if it is off topic it brings the topic to the updated post section so you have more chance of someone reading it who can help so yes the engine is the same your comment about chipping it and not wanting to put stress on it what I have read on hear mechanically they are all the same and it’s only the software that is different.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Funkyjazzlover » Tue May 04, 2021 3:17 pm

I really don't think premium fuel will make any difference on an engine and system designed for regular fuel. The ECU will adjust intake and fuelling based on sensors and the expected regular fuel. Any minor increase in performance and economy will be cancelled out by the additional cost.
Weight, wind(drag) and how you drive are the biggest factor to impact fuel economy.

Remaps and chips increase usability and driveability and performance but rarely get the fuel savings claimed. Over the years I have had several vehicles chipped and never seen a significant increase in economy past 5% and in reality you use that extra power for acceleration etc and waste the fuel gains. You also run the risk of overworking an engine and overheating it and reducing it's life unless you really look after it.

I only have the 2.0 130PS 2021 model L3H3 but as said I run at 3.5t most of the time and have a rack and stuff on it. I am happy with 26mpg average. on a 2WD I would expect a few more MPG in the same circumstances and a lower, lighter van should do better again. It's not just headwinds that drain fuel but sidewinds too as they put you off line requiring more fuel.

Also it's worth noting that the AWD models do not get stop/start or electric steering which both save fuel and they are about 75kg heavier to start with.

My understanding is cheaper fuel has more of an added biological element to it. A mechanic friend had a spate of VW vans with fungus growing in – and blocking – the fuel filter which he puts down to cheap fuel. He now runs Redex, which is something I've done for a while to try and help keep the DPF clear (there's no motorways on the Isle of Wight to give clear things on a good run).

Otherwise I'm pleased to have an average of 21.3mpg now. A recent trip to Cornwall sitting at 60 on major roads and motorways probably helped. Still far from ideal, but I'll take it.
Funkyjazzlover
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby zeemeester » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:11 am

2016, h3 l3, 2.2l 125 hp, 6speed manuel ,big wheels 245/70/16 ,3000kg ,20.3 miles per uk gallon
zeemeester
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ChallengeAdventures » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:08 am

IMG_20210609_211558_3.jpg
Just as a quick update.

Currently at just over 14,000 miles in 5 months.

With 245/70/16 BFG KO2 AT tyres, large Rhino roof rack and the spare mounted on top of the rack along with 4 X 120w solar panels to create extra drag I am averaging about 24mpg.

26mpg or so on a long run and 20 mpg if towing 1-2t of caravan or box trailer.

I don't think that's too bad considering I am at or around my 3.5t gross most of the time.

Tyres and roof rack made the biggest difference to economy from the 29mpg I was getting when new and empty.

I hope that helps someone when comparing stuff or considering and AWD transit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChallengeAdventures
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits