*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Wheel Change...

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Wheel Change...

Postby Haxman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:52 pm

Hello, I a Mk 2 Transit owner (for 3 weeks now :D ) and Id like to change my wheels for something more exciting. Ive read on these forums and since seen pics of (on line) the hub adaptors which people use which i suppose is the easiest sollution if not using 5x160 pcd. Firstly I read that someone on here makes them and although Im not sure what final fitting I would want yet I was wondering what sort of money they sell for. I may also try making some myself and wondered if it possibe to machine all the stud holes and fixing holes with a pillar drill or is a milling machine needed? (Id get discs with a centre hole manufactured for me to start from) What is the best thickness for these adapters? Is it ok to change to a 4 stud pattern (Seems odd to me) I did see some on ebay last month (linked from here) Is mild steel ok to make them from? Do they have much of an effect on steering, and tyre/bearing wear?
My other idea is to use Landrover wheels (Tidy steel wheels) which I believe are 165pcd but to drill new holes between the origional holes to the correct 5x160 pcd, and then maybe welding up the old holes and grinding flush. Does this sound like a feasable idea? Have peolpe done it before? I would like a deep dish style wheel, any thoughts/problems?
Thank you
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FredTransit » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:56 pm

Welcome to the forum, you best bet is to do a search on the adapters, as you say there is a lot on here about it.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Haxman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:01 am

Thank you Fred, I haven seen much about the manufacture of them but I'll keep searching... :shock:
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:52 pm

fronts on a mk1 are easy - dont use adapters theres no point get the standard hubs redrilled to whatever pcd you need - any machine shop will beable to do it ! - i wouldnt do the studs on a pillar drill but you can counterbore the disk retaining bolts on one no problem - saves on the cost of paying a machinist to do them - i paid £20 for my fronts to be redrilled but i think he undercharged me :lol: i couldnt see it being anymore than £50 but mabe £35 is about the right price!

what i did was buy a set of alloys and worry about fitting them after - they were mecedes - the fronts fitted easly but i had hassle fitting the backs - i was origanally planning on adapters but it made them too wide!

best thing to do is choose a set of alloys get ossfet measuremnts 1st to be 100% sure they will fit - unless you are prepaired to fit arches or other mods to get them under :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:54 pm

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Haxman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Thanks Luke, thats been really useful, the thread you gave me is just what Ive been looking for :D What do you think about my idea of using redrilled Landrover wheels, has anyone done that before? Do you know of any info on it or problems associated with it?
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:02 pm

Haxman wrote:What do you think about my idea of using redrilled Landrover wheels, has anyone done that before? Do you know of any info on it or problems associated with it?
yes :D ive seen it done 2 ways first redrilling a set of wellers so they have 10 holes 5@160 for transits and the origanal 5@165 for the landrover :D

the other way was using a sleeved nut adapter to convert the 165 to 160 :D

what are the ideal wheels you want to fit :?: - i'd start there and work back :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Haxman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:56 pm

Sleaved nut adaptor? :?: To get them from 165 to 160 wouldnt I have to weld up 1 side of the hole and grind out the other side so to speak? I was thinking of the 10 hole approach myself and then maybe welding up the old holes. I'd like slotmags but doubtfull whether I'd find any especially at the right price! I'd also would like deep dish chrome wheels. Am now thinking of using Landy wheels, not Wellers but the round hole equililant if you know the ones I mean, theyre pretty deep dished and tidyed up I think would look smart. Ive no idea on the price for chroming steel wheels but my guess is its expensive, any idea what the chrome wheel spray is like?
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Haxman wrote:not Wellers but the round hole equililant if you know the ones I mean

these :?:

they are wellers - just not the traditional 8 spoke these are called weller modular's :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:16 pm

just a thought......if using hub adapters, could you get round the width problem by using wheels from a FWD car, as the offset is greater?

i quite fancy those fake split rim mk3 mondeo ghia x jobbies.....wish i could find a pic... :evil:
Gavin
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Haxman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:16 pm

Thats the ones, I think they quite nice :D sounds quite easy to get them onto a transit too :D Chromed would look great! They pretty easy to get hold of too I think. Not sure landrover tyre would suit the old Mk2 though :wink: ha ha
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:20 pm

Gavin wrote:just a thought......if using hub adapters, could you get round the width problem by using wheels from a FWD car, as the offset is greater?

i quite fancy those fake split rim mk3 mondeo ghia x jobbies.....wish i could find a pic... :evil:
yeah that would do thie trick :D - the only problem is older style wheels tend to suit older vans modern wheels look great on newer vans :D

theres actually a mk5 near me (guy i bought my wellers off) that has those mondeo wheels on adapters and they fit under the arches no problems :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:24 pm

does he wanna sell? :lol:
Gavin
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Haxman » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:58 pm

If I go for landrover wheels, will 16" wheels fit on my Mk2 ok? What if I find 2nd hand ones with chunky tyres on, would they fit on and drive ok or would I need to change tyres? Am thinking of getting the modular wheels as pictured above...
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:45 pm

Haxman wrote:If I go for landrover wheels, will 16" wheels fit on my Mk2 ok? What if I find 2nd hand ones with chunky tyres on, would they fit on and drive ok or would I need to change tyres? Am thinking of getting the modular wheels as pictured above...
16"s will fit a mk2 no probs but i dont think the chunky 4x4 tyres will :? not sure tho - depends on your ground clearance, but you can certanly swap the tyres :D
if you are using modulars they are steel so the sleeved nut adapter wont work the best option would be to redrill the wheels :D the only other option would be to have normal adapters made but that might give you arch clearance problems :(

also to get the wheels machined you will really need to remove the tyres :)
Luke
Site Admin

Next

Return to Customising and one offs