*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Winch Bar - Transit Mk6

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Winch Bar - Transit Mk6

Postby Dollyamber » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi all

First post - Silly Question - Sorry :)

I have recently bought my first Transit. It is an ex Network Rail Mk6 350 LWB Hi Top 90PS Mess van - 8 seats, fitted out rear with microwave and handwash etc. Little van bit at the rear for the dogs. Very versatile if a little cumbersome.

After a quick £3,000.00 or so in major engine related repairs after dealer sold me a pup I am now begining to enjoy driving my van inbetween the odd session of vibration under load and flashing warning lights.

I initially wanted to put a set of bull bars or an A bar up front. That thought has now turned towards a winch bar. I have a large Superwinch that would look pretty mean up front that would also be very handy for a variety of jobs.

Has anyone any experience of fitting such an animal to a Tranny? I did find a company through Google

http://www.pwsacc.co.uk/bumpers.htm

but wonder how these would stand in relation to the bull bar ban I have read about elsewhere on this wonderful forum.

Any suggestions folks?
Dollyamber
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jace » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:11 pm

ive just put a winch bumper on my navara got it from company called tbr its made by arb.
also try company called formula4
1x nissan navara hardbodys 1x nissan navara 3.0td kiwi import 2004 2.4 tdi crew cab tipper
jace
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MrMPuk » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:18 pm

What ever you do I suspect it will have to be a custom job.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MarkM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:18 pm

It will only apply if your vehicle was made/registered after a set date which is in the bullbar thread. Though that said the supply of the bullbar might still be awkward, personally I think it will fall into one of the many things that are legal to sell, legal to own, illegal to use, the last bit only applying when a late vehicle is in question.
That website has some stock bumpers with winches fitted, a Transit doesn't exactly lend itself to being left alone where as a bullbar and winch will look more 'fitted'. a winch 'may' fall into the same catagory as bullbars, ask the website they should know the legalitys. You certainly couldn't mount a winch on something that would collapse like these eco friendly bullbars, so ask the people that fits them.
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby viper » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:01 am

Winch? what for, I went all the way down the west coast of Africa in a tranny and didnt need a winch, but I understand the need for one.
Custom interior, MK6 MWB RWD 90PS 2000)...220 000miles, parked up for 3 years rust free
viper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Winch Bar - Transit Mk6

Postby 100 T280 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:47 pm

Dollyamber wrote:I have recently bought my first Transit. It is an ex Network Rail Mk6 350 LWB Hi Top 90PS Mess van - 8 seats, fitted out rear with microwave and handwash etc. Little van bit at the rear for the dogs. Very versatile if a little cumbersome.

8) 8) Nearly got one of those a while back, very battered though, has is still got the night heater? Great potential, any pics :?:
'02 100 T280 SWB Exec. FWD Medium Roof 2.0 DuraTorq TDdi 100ps
College Blue, Alloys, Eberspächer, Twin Batteries, Single Seat,
"Park Distance Control", AirCon, Rev. Counter, 7000RDS.......
100 T280
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Dollyamber » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:14 pm

Why a winch? - well I have this strange habit of dragging 20 foot shipping containers around the school, with my Transit (well it was a Talbot last time but this time it will be a Transit).

I will take some piccies of mine soon - it is quite straight although I am sure if I had bought the tatty one of the two it would not have cost me so much dratted money!

Yes she has an Ebespacher (Sp)? space heater although I have not tried it out yet. Microwave pings a perfect pie and I can even wash my hands before going home after a days fishing.

We are wiring in a big inverter soon so we can run proper lights and things.

Just hacked a door through from van bit to living area so dogs can wander around - Just a sliding door to fit next and Robert is your Fathers Brother as some would say.
Dollyamber
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:27 pm

20 foot shipping containers?
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby djswampy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:38 pm

They weigh 2 tonne empty. Then you add friction. That's some going for a van.
Mk5 LWB 190, 2.5di banana SHR, 3 seats, SLD, Twin rear doors (rusted bottoms), manual locking & windows. For sale £700, comes with replacement set of doors
djswampy
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Location: Colchester. Transit: mk5, '96, 2.5di banana, lwb, semi roof, 190

Postby 100 T280 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:39 pm

Dollyamber wrote:Microwave pings a perfect pie and I can even wash my hands before going home after a days fishing.

8) Niiiiice. Are the network Rail ones the plain white vans, or is it the maroon or the very 8) 8) 8) orange and blue ones :?:
'02 100 T280 SWB Exec. FWD Medium Roof 2.0 DuraTorq TDdi 100ps
College Blue, Alloys, Eberspächer, Twin Batteries, Single Seat,
"Park Distance Control", AirCon, Rev. Counter, 7000RDS.......
100 T280
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Dollyamber » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:08 pm

Mine is all white and quite tidy apart form a bit of bodgy filling on the SLD.

Shipping containers tend to drag around quite easy with a smattering of 4" round fence posts slipped underneath (like they did with the pyramids - only no Transits around then). We moved the last one semi loaded. The winch just makes things easier (or it will do I hope).
Dollyamber
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby djswampy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:00 pm

Mount one on the towbar at the back.

Here is an idea. Seeing as the rear towbar fits on the chassis rails, and the rails are the same distance apart, would a towbar fit on the front of the van?

That said, I am thinking about the chassis rails on my Mk5s, I don't know of the mk6.
Mk5 LWB 190, 2.5di banana SHR, 3 seats, SLD, Twin rear doors (rusted bottoms), manual locking & windows. For sale £700, comes with replacement set of doors
djswampy
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Dollyamber » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:27 pm

I thought about the tow bar mount option earlier although another rear mount option would be actually inside the rear load area bolted straight through the floor using spreaders inside and outside. This option of course removes the aesthetic value of the winch. It also stops it being an easy target for tea leaves though!

If at all possible I really want to go down the front mounted option. I have seen tow balls mounted at the front of vehilces but am fast getting to thinking that they too will fall foul of the new laws that seem to outlaw bull bars and similar fixtures as part of a new safety drive through legislation changes.

I am going to speak to the people who run the website mentioned previously. I have e-mailed them with full details but as suspected they would rather I call them to discuss. I will have to see what they say. Hopefully I can get something in writing to demonstrate legality of work if I decide to go ahead with installation.
Dollyamber
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby djswampy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:13 pm

From what I remember of the bull bar laws, its only after a certain age (MarkM comments on this further up the thread). You haven't yet said in this thread (that I can see) how old the van is. Plus, a towbar is the same sort of thing as a towing eye and they stick out. You'd certainly get more pull with a towbar than an A frame/bull bar due to the shape and physics of the structure.

That said, I think I would want a bull bar if I was driving around a school. All them bloody brats getting in my way :twisted:
djswampy
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Dollyamber » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:25 pm

Sorry - She is a 2002 model LWB Hi Top 350 - 90PS.

I spoke with the company who make and fit the winch bars pictured in the link above. Apparently the new law has not yet been enacted yet due to some wrangle or other with our EU friends. "D" day seems to be October or thereabouts?

According to the company winch bars may be exempt from the new law as long as they are not above a certain height off the ground.

This sounds half promising and I am going to o some more delving before making any decisions.

djswampy - bull bars OK - better with a sentry post :!:
Dollyamber
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Talk